U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 PM

5,875 posts, read 7,716,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The problem is that there are areas of LI where you're as isolated (or more) than you'd be in many areas of the entire metro here. LI is not NYC - and when you get far enough East it's a flat out ride to the city - a traffic clogged mess... with terrible mass transit.
Seriously. I've only been to Long Island once (West Islip), but talk about isolated! 1 hour+ to get to NYC, and then you have to basically go through NYC while fighting traffic and paying through the nose in tolls if you want to go anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,869,688 times
The OP is clearly over exaggerating about majority of the post.

It's your fault you moved to NC expecting New York.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 AM

25 posts, read 47,634 times
Less complaining, more packing up your stuff and heading back north please! :P

Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,418,209 times
So Waxhaw isn't the middle of nowhere. But you can see it from there.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Lets cut to the chase. The OP lived in a quiet, middle class area on Long Island. Conveniently located to everything. Schools, Shopping, highways, churches, etc were...at most...5 minutes from my house. It was very nice not having to drive forever to reach my local post office or library.
I obviously made 2 mistakes. One was coming onto CDF while I was doing my research and asking questions. I didn't realize that it would later be thrown back in my face. Thanks to those who obviously have nothing better to do than research my posts from last year and then quote me. Really?? Don't you have some fabulous Charlotte nightlife to partake in?!
Second, I purchased a house in an isolated area of Union County. It truly is 15-20 minutes from everything! Except for the cows...they are down the road and to the left.
Thanks again Y'all!
bingo...

Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 AM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Seriously. I've only been to Long Island once (West Islip), but talk about isolated! 1 hour+ to get to NYC, and then you have to basically go through NYC while fighting traffic and paying through the nose in tolls if you want to go anywhere else.
Eastern Long Island used to be potato farms. My father worked for one of the major agricultural chemical companies & had to go there a few times a year for decades. He always complained about driving through the NYC mess & how remote it was.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 AM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Lets cut to the chase. The OP lived in a quiet, middle class area on Long Island. Conveniently located to everything. Schools, Shopping, highways, churches, etc were...at most...5 minutes from my house. It was very nice not having to drive forever to reach my local post office or library.
I obviously made 2 mistakes. One was coming onto CDF while I was doing my research and asking questions. I didn't realize that it would later be thrown back in my face. Thanks to those who obviously have nothing better to do than research my posts from last year and then quote me. Really?? Don't you have some fabulous Charlotte nightlife to partake in?!
Second, I purchased a house in an isolated area of Union County. It truly is 15-20 minutes from everything! Except for the cows...they are down the road and to the left.
Thanks again Y'all!
City Data provides opinions.. There is a contingent who will recommend Union County to people who have jobs in Gastonia. A map is your friend. It's your fault, not the realtor's, if you bought in a remote area. My guess is that you saw those cows before you bought.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM

520 posts, read 770,866 times
I could not resist but omment on this thread

First off to the OP, dont worry about people writing harsh here. They always do it!! Don'e encourage them

You took 1 year to decide the right place to move. You took 6 months to decide the community to live in. You must have made few trips before buying the house. You moved in July/August of this year to the place you thought is your dream house.

But with in 2 months you are fed up? I dont get it. To me it seems like you were forced to move for whatever the reason.

Give it at least 1 year and you will see the difference. 15 minute drive is not a big deal, slow moving fast food is not a big deal. You need to relax and enjoy the life.

It looks like you need "RAT RACE" life. If you ask me , Union County has a good paced life. You just need to adjust and take some time. If you dont like it after a year you should move back.

I had lived my 12 good years of life in the 4the most populous city in the world. I spent 4 hours commuting everyday and had the miserable time of my life during my 20s. I dont have regrets here.

"Bless My Heart" !!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
Quote:
Thanks again Y'all!
MovingLItoNC: I am soooo serious . . . please consider putting your present home on the market and buying in S. Charlotte. One of my friends, who is from Long Island, has a son attending Charlotte Catholic HS and she just mentioned to me recently that she is considering moving (she is also outside of the Charlotte city limits) to S. Charlotte, as she believes she would be so much happier here. She remarked about the quiet, private neighborhoods and said she had not even CONSIDERED an older home in S. Charlotte b/c she was fixated on a NEW HOME after putting up with an older home when living on LI. She said she had no idea that there were beautiful all brick homes on half an acre tucked all around S. Charlotte. She said - "I would only be MINUTES from the school! And Shopping! And Restaurants! And groceries!" I would add - and pharmacies, PO, FedEx, Medical, Veterinary, etc etc.

I know moving is a big hassle. But honestly - which is better? The inconvenience of moving or the continuation of your disappointment and homesickness? PLEASE consider this solution.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM

872 posts, read 3,269,848 times
It's funny seeing the exact same threads with the exact same comments year, after year, after year. This thread could very well be from 2006. Person from (NY, NJ, FL, MI, OH, PA) moves to (Charlotte, Huntersville, Mooresville, Pineville, Mint Hill, Fort Mill, Union County) doesn't like it cause it's not fast paced enough or convenient enough or cold enough or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte