U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 24,189 times

Advertisements

Try areas outside of Charlotte like Concord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 AM

87 posts, read 173,201 times
Any networking advice is greatly appreciated! I live in the South Charlotte area so any local events would be great.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM

40 posts, read 98,548 times
Default moving next month

I'm also moving to the Charlotte area in December. I'm a licensed attorney in Florida, and I'm taking the NC bar exam in February. Most of my practice is litigation related. Any job search advice or networking opportunities would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:26 PM

157 posts, read 268,528 times
where is that article regarding the best companies to work for in Charlotte? Does anyone have a link to it??? Thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,055,980 times
From the outside looking in, I think that people perceive it as "tougher" to get a job nowadays since it is so EASY to apply for one. When I graduated, not that long ago in 1996 there was barely an internet and definitely no Monster.Com or careerbuilder. I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a lot of large envelopes and mailed my resume to my specifically targeted companies and followed up via phone or in person.
Now it is so easy to post a job online and literally within hours you can have hundreds of responses because all you have to do is create a profile and point and click to apply. The good old days of actually working to find a job are fading away. My point is, like everything else you have to do something to set yourself apart from the competition, whether it's through networking or like the previous poster said about going to the networking event and handing out business cards. Heck back in the day I remember going to an NAACP job fair at the Charlotte Convention Center and I'm white!!! I got more interviews that day than ever I set myself apart from everyone else.

I know I didn't give you the magic bullet, but keep trying it'll happen. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
I found this great city data thread that I thought might be some benefit to you

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...terviewer.html

Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 AM

24 posts, read 85,798 times
Default What about Temping?

Hi there,
I read through the thread and didn't see anyone recommend temping. You might want to see if you can find a temporary position. I have had great success with this when relocating. We have relocated to six states in eight years and finally, we will be calling Charlotte our permanent home (hopefully) in January. I plan on temping right away. I have the same background you do...MBA in finance and accounting with a background in management consulting. It is challenging to find these type of positions in Charlotte especially with layoffs going on at the banks. Temporary work is a great way to network, prove yourself and a couple of times I have landed permanent jobs. Have you checked out temp to perm jobs yet? Good luck!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 58,125 times
Just posted this on another thread but worth repeating (and on topic):

NETWORK. And I mean diligently. This is crucial in Charlotte, at the banks in particular. I'm not necessarily talking about straight professional networking either- social networking plays into it as well.

A few ideas: (1) Church (or other religious organization), whether you're usually an every worship day attendee or not. Become one for now. Look out for small groups, etc. that you can get involved in; (2) Volunteer. Attend charity events.; (3) Take a continuing education class at UNC-C; (4) Ask around about adult sports leagues if that's your thing...

Obviously, you're not going to wear a sign that says "I'm looking for a job, help me" to these things, but once you begin to develop these relationships, it will come up naturally. You never know who may be able to help you now or in the future.

All of these things are great for a newcomer, job hunter or not. It's been hard for me to get used to how critical this is in Charlotte. I'm not naturally social, so I have to force myself to do it, but it gets easier all the time. Just see it as part of your job of being a job hunter. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:11 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,409,122 times
Hope it's working out... some great tips here.

It's also helpful to hook up with a couple of recruiters.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:10 PM

87 posts, read 173,201 times
Does hiring usually pick up in January? I've heard a lot of companies have hiring freezes for 2007, but was wondering if that will disappear once 2008 rolls around!

Happy Holidays everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or