U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 PM

27 posts, read 44,884 times

Advertisements

We will be driving to charlotte from Chicago in a uhaul.... I am not a fan of mountains/heights but do see that we have to drive through some. Are there any highways that are worse than others that might be a little rough w a large uhaul?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM

6,269 posts, read 9,975,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGirl12 View Post
We will be driving to charlotte from Chicago in a uhaul.... I am not a fan of mountains/heights but do see that we have to drive through some. Are there any highways that are worse than others that might be a little rough w a large uhaul?

Thanks!
The Ohio/West Virginia route has slightly less-dense mountains, but that route also has 3 tolls. However, that route has extremely cheap gas near Wytheville, Virginia. Both routes have mountain tunnels that can be a bit scary for the inexperienced driver. Then-again, if any part of your trip involves the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago, those mountains should be a breeze by comparison.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,260,882 times
ive driven both stretches. you will be in the mountains longer on the ohio WV route, but there is a 20 mile stretch that is pretty rough on I 40 coming into NC. Its low though. Through a river valley, but its nonstop curves for 20 miles. I'd prolly opt for the I65- to 40 route

Old 10-17-2013, 03:19 PM

How long are these mountain tunnels? And it's not like in CO where you are driving on the edges of mountains is it? Sorry, just lived in the city my whole life and want to prepare myself

Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
How long are these mountain tunnels? And it's not like in CO where you are driving on the edges of mountains is it? Sorry, just lived in the city my whole life and want to prepare myself
Where you've lived your entire life really isn't the issue. This is more about being an experienced driver or not being one. City driving is by far more difficult than rural/mountain driving. Statistically, more accidents take place at intersections than any other road condition (and cities are the places with the most intersections per sq/mile).

As for the mountain tunnels, they are about a mile long and no passing is allowed when going through them. I've driven both routes numerous times in a vehicle MUCH bigger than your U-Haul. You should be fine.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 12,049 times
Quote:
I've not driven in northern WV, but the southern part is nothing more than big hills, nothing close to "driving on the edge", but you do NOT want to drive a UHaul through the mountains from TN. The road is narrow, with concrete barriers very close to the edge of the road, (like a lot of urban highways, esp in northern NJ and around New York) and very windy (curves, not blowing ), and is bad enough in a car. It's quite a blast in my Mustang, but I would not want to drive a rental truck through the mountains from TN into NC.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:44 PM

I see... So there is the WV or TN route. We will be stopping in Cincinnati for a night so from there I guess I should push for the WV route...

Old 10-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I see... So there is the WV or TN route. We will be stopping in Cincinnati for a night so from there I guess I should push for the WV route...
From Cincy, you can still take I-75 south to I-40; or you can take the Double A Hwy through northeastern KY. You would cross back into Ohio near Greenup KY. From there, it's US 52 south into I-64 east near Huntington, WV. Charlotte is about 4hrs 45 mins from Huntington.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:46 PM

445 posts, read 677,427 times
I would skip the I-75 and I-40 route.

Knoxville traffic can be a real pain if you go at the wrong time.

Then you have the gorge on I-40 where you are limited to 50MPH in a truck for 20 miles and then deal with the steep grade coming down from Black Mtn. Not fun if you aren't used to driving a truck.

There are various routes from Cincy to Charleston. AA highway is one but I don't like that route. Two many lights and cops looking for speeders. I prefer the Appalachian Highway (Ohio 32) out of Cincy, then pick up US 23 south to Portsmouth, cross into Ky and take US 23 south to I-64 south of Ashland, Ky.

I have made this trip many times with my dually pickup pulling trailers that are anywhere from 28 to 40 ft' in length with no problems. There are occasional rest areas along the way as well as places to get food and fuel.

Once you are I-64, you only have Charleston traffic to deal with if it is rush hour and then you are on I-77 south to Charlotte. The tunnels are no problem. They have a 55 speed limit and you should be in the right lane in the tunnel when you are driving a truck.

The grades are not bad and if you use your transmission properly and gear down, you should only have to occasionally tap your break to slow you down.

Wishing you a safe trip.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,178,429 times
I just drove from South Bend and back to the Charlotte area. If you're going to be in Cincy then I would take 70E to 77S which will take you across OH into WV and down through Charleston,WV into VA and then NC. There's some curves and two mountain tunnels and a few tolls but the max toll in WV is $6 (and it's cash only).I drove it by myself granted I wasn't in a U-haul but my BIL has driven the route from Charleston to Charlotte in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or