Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM

533 posts, read 935,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Start a new thread.
Agreed. Having a very hard time myself following this one now. lol

Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
A generous middle class salary of $50-60K should be more than enough.
Sounds like a job for government. Write your congressman.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Yeah it's a PR nightmare right now for Elevation.
Trying to think of the phrase. . . oh I assume they are somewhat prosperity based teachings and if so then the nightmare is for church members coming to the realization that others in the community are more than happy to kick up dirt regardless of facts if there's a chance of bringing the "righteous" down. It never feels good to be a target of haters. But Christians are good at recognizing attacks from the devil so that's an easy fix.

The man paid ~$330K for property that has a tax value of $1.9M and with his own checkbook. THAT is facts. All public record. I'd say that kind of deal is quite divine.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
I have been reading all of this and I have to reply. I know I will get beaten up about it, but I don't care. I attend Elevation Church. Not regularly, but it is the one non-denominational church in Charlotte that we have been to that we like. We have gone to many non-denominational churches in the past in Florida. Most of them are split from Baptist churches. Elevation is no different than any of the other churches that we have attended, except for it's size and the broadcast to other locations.

Pastor Furtick preaches stories from the Bible and parallels them to our lives now. This is how our other Pastors preached. We have been to a couple of non-denominational churches in the area that didn't even open a Bible or have one out. We haven't been for a couple of months because of issues out of state with family, but the last time we went was the first time they have ever taken up an offering that we have attended. There are kiosk in the lobby to make offerings if you want to. I don't even think I have ever heard him ask for money anytime that we have gone. They do show videos of all of the good things the church has done for different organizations in the Charlotte area. It's amazing what they have done. It is the first church we have gone to that our sons, ages 10 and 15 actually want to go and don't want to go to children's church, they want to go in with us.

Until it's proven that he has done something immoral or illegal, I will still attend. I don't feel that I've been taken in by a "cult" and I have never heard him preach about wealth or being wealthy making you a better person. His beginnings were humble and he shares his life experiences.
what is immoral is him being a minster and living in a 2 million dollar house. whats immoral is that church raking in 20 million a year and giving back 2 million.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not taking it personally except the statements aimed at me personally, lol.

I think a discussion is definitely worthwhile. If I didn't, I would not have participated.

I wish we could have discussions like this on sooo many topics . . . this country is divided on many subjects. It would be wonderful to have a forum where we could discuss even national issues with others who live here in Charlotte, specifically - in other words, with our neighbors.

I plan to find out more about this church as I have basically ignored them, thinking they were fluff and theatre and little more than entertainment. However, after examining their website, I believe this ministry is an attempt to bring Christianity into the 21st Century and reach those who may have otherwise been either disenfranchised, unaware or turned off by religion/churches.

If they are doing anything fraudulent with money, of course that is illegal and they should be prosecuted for it.

From what I have seen thus far, it appears this is a very professionally run website, a professionally run music program, and an organization with ministers who speak in a way that is especially compelling for young folks.
I am glad you are still around! It might have been more of a witch hunt had
you not posted.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Trying to think of the phrase. . . oh I assume they are somewhat prosperity based teachings and if so then the nightmare is for church members coming to the realization that others in the community are more than happy to kick up dirt regardless of facts if there's a chance of bringing the "righteous" down. It never feels good to be a target of haters. But Christians are good at recognizing attacks from the devil so that's an easy fix.

The man paid ~$330K for property that has a tax value of $1.9M and with his own checkbook. THAT is facts. All public record. I'd say that kind of deal is quite divine.
Heavenly, fer shur.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it will be proven that Furtick is squeaky clean, but I gotta say it . . . building that humongous house was a mistake as far as PR . . . and I am amazed that he would have been so naive to think it wouldn't bring up all sorts of questions and accusations.
he is arrogant, and entitled. and he isn't squeaky clean. If he was squeaky clean he wouldn't be building a 2 million dollar house. I have to believe the poster that said his kids were in designer jeans as well.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
And certainly Jesus taught you to question how other people live. I assume you've given up all luxuries since I don't recall Jesus preaching only to preachers.
The scriptures are full of warnings of people like this. This man is a wolf and sheep's clothing. 20 million brought in 2 million given away. He has himself a business plain a simple. I can assume he is in it for the money, when the house he is building is bigger than some billionaires.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
what is immoral is him being a minster and living in a 2 million dollar house. whats immoral is that church raking in 20 million a year and giving back 2 million.
This church has to have given way more than 2 million to the community each year, I've seen what they do in church. They have a 5 minute video before the service every week to show what is going on with the church and the charities they give to. 2 million couldn't even begin to cover what they do.

Having an extravagant home is not immoral if he paid for it himself. That is the question. Good for him if he could afford it.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I don't see anything immoral about it.

One reason this church is successful is b/c of their staging, both with speakers and music. After even my cursory examination of their website and some music I found on YouTube, there is no doubt it would be quite expensive to have the lighting and sound set up, pay professionals . . . then you add the actual buildings/facilities themselves . . . and all the different ministers/assistants who keep things moving . . . their website (upscale design; user friendly; top notch artwork) . . . this doesn't come inexpensively.

They have taken in the money b/c people WANT this ministry to succeed and they appreciate the format in which things are presented.

We are not all going to agree on what constitutes the proper mission of a church but if the members are there b/c of the way services are conducted, then even if those services are expensive, its the members paying for it. They are obviously also doing outreach work to the community as well as making some sizeable contributions to worthwhile organizations in our city.

Without a line by line itemization to examine, none of us know what comprises each of those categories of expenses, but seems to me -- if the members are satisfied with how their money is spent, it isn't anything for the rest of us to be criticizing.

Seems to me they are reaching thousands of folks every week. Nothing immoral about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte