Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltpeep View Post
Interesting thread...

A few thoughts

I've been wondering for awhile when this "shoe would drop" because of how intense people are about him and how much power he seemingly has. He's seems to have that same "rock star" persona/fan base. I think that most of us agree with the ancient adage about "power corrupting" and what curbs power is transparency and a system of checks and balance. It is very easy for a someone with religious authority to start confusing his/her own desires with what God desires.
And I've had the same thoughts. But that doesn't excuse rumors or jumping to conclusions. Rock stars and other famous people get high off their own buzz but can't sustain it. Same thing for a religious leader that expects and attack from the devil. So there are a lot of things that can go wrong and he's still young considering his position. But it seems on this thread a lot of the speculation is hope that there is a fall so there can be more finger pointing.

"It's a parsonage. It's a $2 million dollar land sale. It's a $2 million dollar house. It's paid for by the church. It's hubris. Billy Gram would never do this."

In the end though, I think he'll lean more toward pine box than the comfy cushions and built in iPod.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
No difference between him and a professional ball player - stupid people patronize fake Gods all day long. The Pope just expelled the German Bishop for building a $42M residence. The expulsion did not stop the building and someone is going to live in it when its done.
Ummm no. There are two things false about that statement. And that's the problem with this thread. It's like telephone tag. Start off with "Did you hear?" and throw in some numbers from the land records and then it gets mashed up in to something more akin to what people want to hear/believe and not what actually happened.

Close. Somewhat factual but in the end, wrong.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
I found this interesting link on "the other side of the story".

SurferBenR | The Other Side of the Story.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
Here's a new way to look at it - if this pastor doesn't see a problem with it - why doesn't he just own it and say - yeah, I'm building a $1.6 million dollar house. Why does he tell his congregation about this reporter that's asking questions about his house and then add it's really not that great of a house when clearly it is. Own it - don't dodge it - and don't mislead your congregation by saying - not that great of a house. If helicopters are flying over - people are going to see it and see that that's not true. And why put the deed in the name of a blind trust? It looks like you're trying to hide something and why hide it if you think there's nothing wrong with it.
X2. Completely agree. This was my first thought as well when I watched his video.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Pastor Steven has received threats against him and his family. He has a body guard that goes with him everywhere. I would imagine he puts things in other names just like celebrities do, to not have stalkers and sick people going after him.
That's a nice excuse, but like I said there are pastors in this city that pastor mega chuches and there houses you can look up on the tax system. Just looked up david chadwicks house. Its 4000 ft btw.

also being a minster is a little different than say being a rock star. Being that you believe in a higher power. A higher power that leads your steps and also offers protection. No this house was put into a trust for one reason. It was too hide the true value. again watch last night piece from the news. This church is doing a lot of shady things when it comes to their numbers. I believe Mr Furtick is exetremely arrogant and confident. That is why he gave that little sermon about it not being that great of a house. He never thought it would see the light of day.

I also want more details of this sweetheart of a land deal he got.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 AM

352 posts, read 518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Christians are often targeted by the media.
[/i]
How so?

Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post

There is a term for that blog. Fluff piece.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
The video is self explanatory, pastor is clearly not comfortable with this himself...I bet he wishes he had handled it better, where he should've been upfront.

Also the "not that great of a house" comment makes it worst and makes one wonder what's his idea/goal of a "great house"?

I think best would be he comes out clear and acknowledges that like all humans he too, has weak moments and is prone to making mistakes. He no doubt, up to now has done an amazing job as a pastor, wish him the best!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post

This is very good but we see by the comments there it doesn't seem to change minds that are made up before the first shovel hits dirt.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
That's a nice excuse, but like I said there are pastors in this city that pastor mega chuches and there houses you can look up on the tax system. Just looked up david chadwicks house. Its 4000 ft btw.

also being a minster is a little different than say being a rock star. Being that you believe in a higher power. A higher power that leads your steps and also offers protection. No this house was put into a trust for one reason. It was too hide the true value. again watch last night piece from the news. This church is doing a lot of shady things when it comes to their numbers. I believe Mr Furtick is exetremely arrogant and confident. That is why he gave that little sermon about it not being that great of a house. He never thought it would see the light of day.

I also want more details of this sweetheart of a land deal he got.
Which house? What's the parcel number? What's the name of the trust? I want to look up this HOUSE.

And why are you so interested in this? Are there not better targets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte