U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
My biggest concern is not with him building the house, but with his and his congregation's reaction. Additionally, I am more concerned about the substance of his sermons and teachings.
A. I agree, the "concern" should reside with members of that church, in regard to how they may feel about their minister's home

B. Unless you are a member of the church or a member of the governing body of this church, why would you be concerned about what this church teaches?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Sure he can make tons of money, that's his right. But he's using his church position to make money off the backs of his own parishioners who are "captivated" (I didn't want to use the word brainwashed) into buying his merchandise in order to get to know him better. Is it legal? Sure. Is it ethical?

We have no true physical proof of God or of Jesus Christ being the son of god or if there's even a heaven. If that's the case, technically all of religion could be considered "unethical". Furtnick would then be no better than a pastor preaching his message in a high school, just that he would be enjoying his treasures now.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Sure he can make tons of money, that's his right. But he's using his church position to make money off the backs of his own parishioners who are "captivated" (I didn't want to use the word brainwashed) into buying his merchandise in order to get to know him better. Is it legal? Sure. Is it ethical?

It's just a loop hole to make money - setup the church (I didn't want to say cult), build up its following and with that the leader's personality (I didn't want to say cult of personality), so the leader can sell merchandise "on the outside" to build up a personal fortune.

So maybe the average parishioners of these mega churches have no one to blame but themselves, but bringing a story to light like this may make some of them think twice about where their money is going. If the guys that run the mega churches are so pious, why do they need to live such lavish life styles? At least the current Pope is bringing some sense to his position.

Are they supposed to take a vow of poverty, no. But this is the life they chose, so they should know going in that it doesn't pay well and it shouldn't. The should worry about helping others, not book deals. If they want to be motivational speakers, go right ahead. But at least guys like Tony Robbins aren't using religion as a prop.
Ministers are supposed to be poorly paid?

No wonder Christian churches are having problems convincing folks to go into a field that requires 4 years of college, 3 years of seminary and at least a 1 year internship.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM

11,721 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Sure hasn't bothered folks that some of our cultural "rock stars," including Barrack Obama and Bill Clinton, have raked in the BIG BUCKS from books. Oh, yeah, that's right . . . only a minister can be considered "immoral" b/c he makes money off sales of books and speeches. Good thing Oprah only has a magazine and hasn't written any books or I guess she would be on the list of The Damned.

ummm.. this was one of the primary complaints with Obama. LOL...

Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM

11,721 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Why are people asking why some have opinions of Furtick on a message board?

I don't think anyone is asking for a boycott or pulling out the pitchforks on this guy...

Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Nobody said he had to take a vow of poverty. He doesn't need to live in excess. 8400 sq ft of heated space, and 7.5 bathrooms is excessive. Since that time we've also learned of a few other shady details. A board cronies to determine his salary, and very low giving for a church bringing in a ton of cash.
Folks keep saying that Elevation is a member of the Baptist Conference.

If that is true, then surely the Baptist conference has oversight of such things as salary, property ownership, etc.

Are you saying the Baptist Conference allows "shady" operations in its member churches?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
ummm.. this was one of the primary complaints with Obama. LOL...
It is??? It is something I respect (publishing books). JFK had a very respectable title under his belt, as well (even tho it has been fairly well established he didn't really write Profiles in Courage).

I don't see how anyone can fault a person for writing a best seller, which has some lucrative financial returns.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yes! Agree with you..heard on WCNC last night that they do not have a board of Deacons. As a member, I would want a group of peers or elders in the church to oversee the workings of the church. Odd to say the least.
I thought if you were a member of the Baptist Conference, you had to establish your church governance in accordance with their model, which I thought includes a Board of Deacons.

I am not Baptist. My denomination does require a standard type of oversight within every church in our Synod. So maybe I am assuming that all church governing bodies work the same, and they don't. It just seems to me there is no need for the governing body if each church can pick and choose how they are organized, so all this has me quite confused.

I ask all this because it seems to me if the Baptist Conference has oversight over this church and its minister and operations, and they are legitimizing Elevation's ministry . . . then all the questions about finance (and even - Biblical adherence) should be directed to the Conference.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 AM

533 posts, read 764,871 times
Quote:
Where are you coming up with this "tax free" stuff????
I am going to assume you never bothered to read the article...

"The most important connection between Ed Young and Steven Furtick? Young served on Furtick's board of overseers, which set Furtick's salary. WFAA-TV, NBC Charlotte’s sister station in Dallas, Texas, reports that Young gets a housing allowance worth $250,000 dollars a year, tax-free."

"No one at Elevation Church will talk about how much, if anything, Furtick receives as a housing allowance. Executive pastor James “Chunks” Corbett confirms pastors at the church get a tax-free housing allowance, and confirms Furtick took out a construction loan to build his home."

Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,263,952 times
Quote:
Folks keep saying that Elevation is a member of the Baptist Conference.

If that is true, then surely the Baptist conference has oversight of such things as salary, property ownership, etc.

Are you saying the Baptist Conference allows "shady" operations in its member churches?
I've never said elevation was under the baptist conference. I understand it to be seeded by the southern baptists, but that's it. Again Ani we know for a fact that a 5 member board determines his salary. That isn't up for debate. Its been established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte