Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So you have a copy of the conversation and you are saying that the reporter didn't add that word "tax free" to the characterization of the housing allowance?
A minister's housing allowance, sometimes called a parsonage allowance or a rental allowance is excludable from gross income for income tax purposes but not for self-employment tax purposes.

Ministers' Compensation & Housing Allowance

Services that a duly ordained, commissioned or licensed minister performs in the exercise of his or her ministry are generally covered under the Self-Employment Contributions Act (SECA). This means the minister is exempt from social security and Medicare withholding, but the minister is responsible for paying self-employment tax on his or her net earnings from self-employment.

I'm not an accountant. But it seems like a skilled one could make that "net earnings" figure quite small. The housing allowances are income tax exempt.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Personally I wouldn't mind living next to someone like that. Helicopters aside, at least we could assume the wild parties would be kept to a minimum and the noise would be low. Might be a good spot to recommend to a newbie looking for info around that area.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
A physical copy? No I do not. All I have is the online article,

I-Team: The blueprint of a megachurch | WCNC.com Charlotte
Exactly. I have watched that "report" 4 times now and the only thing that stands out to me is that there is a lot of talk going on -- and offering of OPINIONS and SPECULATION.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
A minister's housing allowance, sometimes called a parsonage allowance or a rental allowance is excludable from gross income for income tax purposes but not for self-employment tax purposes.

Services that a duly ordained, commissioned or licensed minister performs in the exercise of his or her ministry are generally covered under the Self-Employment Contributions Act (SECA). This means the minister is exempt from social security and Medicare withholding, but the minister is responsible for paying self-employment tax on his or her net earnings from self-employment.

I'm not an accountant. But it seems like a skilled one could make that "net earnings" figure quite small. The housing allowances are income tax exempt.
It is not excludable for self-employment tax purposes! I am no CPA either but I am a small business owner and I know how to read IRS regs.

It doesn't matter what you or your skilled CPA might be able to do as far as these statements that are floating around in the media and on this forum.

It doesn't matter how little taxes are paid. If any are paid, it is not TAX FREE.

So stop the madness.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:

Fixed

Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is not excludable for self-employment tax purposes! I am no CPA either but I am a small business owner and I know how to read IRS regs.

It doesn't matter what you or your skilled CPA might be able to do as far as these statements that are floating around in the media and on this forum.

It doesn't matter how little taxes are paid. If any are paid, it is not TAX FREE.

So stop the madness.
It is income-tax free. He only really has to pay FICA on it - which he doesn't on his other income. This is money that will come back to him. Not income tax. It is tax free. Typing in caps and shooting the messenger won't change the fact.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Tax free income, not tax free income. That is a national issue with all churches, not Elevation. Let's stay on topic here.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Yes, I am going to assume sections of that article are correct. The sections that are not personally biased clearly stating facts the writer has at hand.

"The most important connection between Ed Young and Steven Furtick? Young served on Furtick's board of overseers, which set Furtick's salary. WFAA-TV, NBC Charlotte’s sister station in Dallas, Texas, reports that Young gets a housing allowance worth $250,000 dollars a year, tax-free."

"No one at Elevation Church will talk about how much, if anything, Furtick receives as a housing allowance. Executive pastor James “Chunks” Corbett confirms pastors at the church get a tax-free housing allowance, and confirms Furtick took out a construction loan to build his home."

"Reports" and "Confirms" are not words used to describe someones "opinion".

Please remember Furtick is not clergy, nor an ordained or even a licensed minister for that matter. The IRS stuff you are using does not apply. Was not sure if you knew that or not. Maybe that will help clear up the confusion.
No, I didn't know that Furtick isn't clergy and isn't ordained. If someone is referred to as a Priest or Minister (re: my Catholic/Anglican/Episcopalian/Lutheran background) . . . that means this person has been ordained. Otherwise, they may be a Lay Minister or a "Preacher."

That does change things, if that is a fact.

One reason I don't feel I can trust anything off websites or even from a reporter about Elevation or Furtick is b/c I am seeing all sorts of conflicting info about that church and Furtick, too, all over the web.

One website references that Furtick is an ordained minister and has a master's degree in Theology.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 PM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Can you link that Website please?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It is income-tax free. He only really has to pay FICA on it - which he doesn't on his other income. This is money that will come back to him. Not income tax. It is tax free. Typing in caps and shooting the messenger won't change the fact.
It is a moot point if, as SLOANTE says, Furtick is not really an ordained minister, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte