U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,876,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
NBC Charlotte obtains confidential Elevation report | WCNC.com Charlotte

half a million a WEEK coming in .... holy cow - Elevation needs to rethink their own tithe. If they are taking in that much, I'd say that they aren't tithing their full 10%.
Biggest takeaway for me from the link was the comment made by the independent church watchdog organization: if the house had been for $400 or $500 K we would not be having this conversation.

MODERATION Steve!! Especially if you are a pastor.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Half a million a week????

Praise the Lord.
God is good....all the time.

TAX FREE...

Who said the best way to get rich in America was to start a church?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 AM

533 posts, read 765,541 times
500k a week?? Wow that's insane. PTL was not even bringing in that much lol

Furtick might as well flip all the tables over himself and save Jesus the trouble...

Old 11-05-2013, 12:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,878,965 times
I talked to a few people since all this broke out and asked if there was any impact on the numbers attending. And they said it has been a dent in the numbers but not much.

I also noticed on facebook just how many of my friends do attend Elevation. They all posted a status or two about how great the sermon was and posted pics of what it looked like etc. My newsfeed looked like a scrolling ad for the church.

Eh, I have come to the realization that if that's the "worst" they find on the pastor (building a large home on his salary) and him using his "connections" within the church to further his book sales etc, it's not that bad. Especially in light of all the other pastors that have failed miserably and had quite the skeletons in their closets. I had a pastor that wrote several books and he plugged them during sermons, it really didn't bother me. And he probably had his church pay for PR of the book as well since the books indirectly brings in more attention to the church. While Elevation won't be my church, I do hope for all those people that go, and for all the good they do in the community that this is all there is to it.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM

469 posts, read 746,171 times
I have a ton of friends as well who attend - whenever they have had one of their events like Code Orange, my facebook feed has exploded. I think their downfall is lack of transparency. It would seem that they don't think they are doing anything wrong at all - so why not just release the unedited audited spreadsheets and be done with it. Because they tried to hide one thing - it's become a cascading problem. If they broke down and released it - it probably won't stop some people questioning, but I'll bet it would significantly die down. There would be nothing else left to expose - it's all there.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Just saw a commercial for this show. I am all agog at it. ‘God Wanted Us to Be Rich’: Reality Show to Feature Millionaire Gospel Musician’s Lavish Lifestyle | Christian News Network

Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 PM

1,927 posts, read 2,622,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
God is good....all the time.

TAX FREE...

Who said the best way to get rich in America was to start a church?

Ron L Hubbard, creator of Scientology , those apparently were his exact words
to friends of his that along with he were looking to get wealthy in short time.
For an outsider from another country[me], it always works here in the US!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Prosperity gospel by people flaunting wealth made her say... "O Lord, this is the Jesus I know"

Wow

Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,235,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I talked to a few people since all this broke out and asked if there was any impact on the numbers attending. And they said it has been a dent in the numbers but not much.

I also noticed on facebook just how many of my friends do attend Elevation. They all posted a status or two about how great the sermon was and posted pics of what it looked like etc. My newsfeed looked like a scrolling ad for the church.

Eh, I have come to the realization that if that's the "worst" they find on the pastor (building a large home on his salary) and him using his "connections" within the church to further his book sales etc, it's not that bad. Especially in light of all the other pastors that have failed miserably and had quite the skeletons in their closets. I had a pastor that wrote several books and he plugged them during sermons, it really didn't bother me. And he probably had his church pay for PR of the book as well since the books indirectly brings in more attention to the church. While Elevation won't be my church, I do hope for all those people that go, and for all the good they do in the community that this is all there is to it.
I think the other way people can see this is that he and his mega church partners have set themselves up at the center of their own personal money making enterprise based on a church, which ties in their 'personal' enterprises (books, speaking, etc..) with their main job as preacher of this church, which is also an enterprise that they run. "Me, me, me..." as Agent Smith (the Matrix 2) would coldly say.

There appears to be little oversight in these enterprises, but people are willing to forgive this flaw in light that they give back a substantial amount of money to the community. The problem is no one knows how much the are skimming off the top for themselves. The finances of a church should not be shrouded in mystery. They may not want to reveal how much they are personally reaping for fear of embarrassment or mostly like fear of alienating their flock (also known as affecting their income).

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I think the other way people can see this is that he and his mega church partners have set themselves up at the center of their own personal money making enterprise based on a church, which ties in their 'personal' enterprises (books, speaking, etc..) with their main job as preacher of this church, which is also an enterprise that they run. "Me, me, me..." as Agent Smith (the Matrix 2) would coldly say.

There appears to be little oversight in these enterprises, but people are willing to forgive this flaw in light that they give back a substantial amount of money to the community. The problem is no one knows how much the are skimming off the top for themselves. The finances of a church should not be shrouded in mystery. They may not want to reveal how much they are personally reaping for fear of embarrassment or mostly like fear of alienating their flock (also known as affecting their income).
Yep, but enough of it got leaked out for people to make a decision on whether to keep attending Elevation or not. And it's like charitable organizations, there is always suspicion that those administrative costs aren't true figures or how much are they skimming etc. Unfortunately you can include churches in that suspicion and that's sad. I think that's what bugged me most of all, that house purchase along with the secrecy of financial documents somehow tainted what seemed to be proofed against suspicion because it's in the name of God. But now I realized how childish I was to have that view. I am not saying Elevation did any wrongdoing and hope sincerely they aren't. But I am now aware of another side to churches and it's sad that it has come to this. And I do know Elevation isn't the first as there are other stories, but those were more on personal scandals with money issues. This is the first time I myself have seen just the money issues. I need to read up on it and get more educated when I do choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte