Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times

Advertisements

Observer article...

Elevation pastor building big home in Waxhaw | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
Always thought Elevation "Church" was a bit of a scam.

That being said, if people enjoy it and are willing to spend their money there to support Mr. Furtick, that is their business.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 AM

74 posts, read 133,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinlp View Post
I find it interesting that both articles mention a very different cost:

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2013/10/07/steven-furticks-codswallop-its-not-that-great-of-a-house/

I-Team: How a pastor built a multi-million dollar home | WCNC.com Charlotte

Not my place to make an opinion either way. However, I do wonder who doesn't have their facts straight.
The land is valued by Union County on their books at $1.6M while WCNC is reporting he was able to purchase the 19 acres for $325,000.

From your knowledge as a landowner, how much would 19 acres be worth in the last year?

Either way, I hope it helps you to sell your property!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,934 times
Most of the land over on that street has no sewer or water access. The majority of it does not have soil conditions for a conventional septic system.

The tract of land he owns was foreclosed on years ago and has been sitting. It's land locked with an easement for access across another parcel. Honestly, it's worth about what he paid for it. You can't really do much with it other than the current use. It borders the side entrance into Stratford.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM

469 posts, read 891,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriColchester View Post
The land is valued by Union County on their books at $1.6M while WCNC is reporting he was able to purchase the 19 acres for $325,000.

From your knowledge as a landowner, how much would 19 acres be worth in the last year?

Either way, I hope it helps you to sell your property!
It surely can't help dollars-wise. If the tax value of his land is $1.6 million and he got it for the rock bottom price of $325,000, the value of all the land goes down. That's kind of like having that foreclosed house in your neighborhood bring down the value of all the other homes in the neighborhood because it sold for much less than its value.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
It surely can't help dollars-wise. If the tax value of his land is $1.6 million and he got it for the rock bottom price of $325,000, the value of all the land goes down. That's kind of like having that foreclosed house in your neighborhood bring down the value of all the other homes in the neighborhood because it sold for much less than its value.
Didn't think of that! I bet the houses on that street aren't happy with that. That's a huge difference from 1.6M value and buying it for $325K. That's roughly 17K per acre.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM

533 posts, read 936,265 times
17k per acre is about right. If you cannot run septic and it's not tied to city water that's about right. Esp if it's uncleared and not farmable. It's land that you cannot do much with to be honest (other than hunt? store stuff?). I dunno how he is going to get city water across it. That is definitely not going to be cheap. Of course that is Union County..lol

Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I don't understand the concern about Furtick's home - in re: to cost or size.

Furtick has to submit his taxes to the IRS annually, like the rest of us. Whatever exemptions he is allowed, you can bet that will be examined by the IRS.

Are folks trying to suggest that there is malfeasance going on within Elevation church, i.e. something stinky about how the money is being spent in re: to capital development and/or personnel salaries?

If that is the issue, then reporters should stick to the issue.

I don't understand why folks think ministers should live an impoverished lifestyle, which seems to be what some are suggesting. His salary is the business of church administrators. If the members are okay with how their contributions are being apportioned, then why would it be anyone else's business?

And what right do we have to make judgments about Furtick's finances when none of us has seen his tax returns nor do we know that he himself doesn't tithe. I would suspect he DOES tithe -- all the ministers I have known throughout my lifetime tithe and often, give MORE to the church than 10%.

I am puzzled by the responses I am reading in the media as well as on this forum.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM

84 posts, read 209,860 times
The worst part about this, really, is that the house is ugly.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:15 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't understand the concern about Furtick's home - in re: to cost or size.

Furtick has to submit his taxes to the IRS annually, like the rest of us. Whatever exemptions he is allowed, you can bet that will be examined by the IRS.

Are folks trying to suggest that there is malfeasance going on within Elevation church, i.e. something stinky about how the money is being spent in re: to capital development and/or personnel salaries?

If that is the issue, then reporters should stick to the issue.

I don't understand why folks think ministers should live an impoverished lifestyle, which seems to be what some are suggesting. His salary is the business of church administrators. If the members are okay with how their contributions are being apportioned, then why would it be anyone else's business?

And what right do we have to make judgments about Furtick's finances when none of us has seen his tax returns nor do we know that he himself doesn't tithe. I would suspect he DOES tithe -- all the ministers I have known throughout my lifetime tithe and often, give MORE to the church than 10%.

I am puzzled by the responses I am reading in the media as well as on this forum.

Originally I thought it was excessive behaviour to buy 3 million dollars worth of house/land etc while preaching outreach, humbleness and donating etc. But after a little research and finding that it's not quite how the original story is making out to be and how the taxes work, it doesn't bother me now. Like others and you said, it's his money and his choice in what to do with it. But I do think you should lead by example at the very least and if searching for a church, I would skip over his. I don't like that he is not being upfront with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte