Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

In my post, and I have said it upthread, I wouldn't blink an eye if he purchased a 4000 sq foot house for his family. That to me is modest and I think people should enjoy their success. Especially with 3 kids. I know they need space!

But a 16,000 sq ft house for a man that is preaching the word of God and asking for charity, donations, tithing just doesn't sit well with me.

And I just wouldn't choose his church and if I was a part of his congregation, I would have left. I guess it comes down to what type of Pastor do you want and can respect. What he is doing? I can't respect. But since the story that was originally posted has been debunked a bit, it's just a sad story than anything to be outraged about. (I thought he used church funds and tax free etc)

Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Has anyone stepped forward from Elevation church itself and said . . . SOMEONE HELP US INVESTIGATE OUR MINISTER! We have been scammed! We invested thousands of dollars and were promised xxxxx and no one is delivering! We have been ripped off while the founder of this church has made a bazillion dollars off this racket!

That I would be more interested in hearing.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Has anyone stepped forward from Elevation church itself and said . . . SOMEONE HELP US INVESTIGATE OUR MINISTER! We have been scammed! We invested thousands of dollars and were promised xxxxx and no one is delivering! We have been ripped off while the founder of this church has made a bazillion dollars off this racket!

Can't rep you again. Shucks.

I also would be interested in hearing if people did leave upon hearing this. I have several mom friends that are part of the church. Going to ask them when I see them on Halloween.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:42 AM

533 posts, read 936,491 times
Quote:

They are provided great music, fabulous media, community (if they chose to get involved) and the best feel good sermons in all of Charlotte. Why would you hear them complain? They are definitely getting their money's worth.

I am with you, and I hope this is nothing but a "media story", because if Elevation church was indeed proven to be involved in a scandal, it would train wreck the church scene here in Charlotte....which is something NONE of us want.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
In my post, and I have said it upthread, I wouldn't blink an eye if he purchased a 4000 sq foot house for his family. That to me is modest and I think people should enjoy their success. Especially with 3 kids. I know they need space!

But a 16,000 sq ft house for a man that is preaching the word of God and asking for charity, donations, tithing just doesn't sit well with me.

And I just wouldn't choose his church and if I was a part of his congregation, I would have left. I guess it comes down to what type of Pastor do you want and can respect. What he is doing? I can't respect. But since the story that was originally posted has been debunked a bit, it's just a sad story than anything to be outraged about. (I thought he used church funds and tax free etc)
I understand where you are going with that line of thought . . . but here's the thing. A minister is not asking folks to do something that is out of the ordinary when he reminds them to tithe. So it is not like he is out begging for money or doing something that ANY church expects a person to do: tithe 10% (time, talent, treasure).

And I will bet on this: Furtick is returning more to that church than 10%. He is too smart NOT TO.

It is my understanding that begging for money is NOT something that goes on at Elevation. But again, I have never attended a services so I don't know how that is approached.

If the members feel Furtick's salary is out of line with what a minister in his position should make, then that is up to them to address that issue. If Furtick has the money to buy/build an expensive home, I still don't see why it is of any concern to the rest of us. Bad taste? Maybe! But if it is legal, he should certainly be allowed to do what he wants with his money - including owning something I might consider pretentious and ostentatious.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM

533 posts, read 936,491 times
Quote:
It is my understanding that begging for money is NOT something that goes on at Elevation. But again, I have never attended a services so I don't know how that is approached.
That church has never struggled with money. Check out a service and you will find that out real fast.

There is one main campus and I think 7-8 "satellite" campuses around town. The satellites are rented school auditoriums, office parks etc. There is one satellite also in Canada I believe. They video record/stream him preaching from the main campus and it's fed to all the satellite campuses (more than likely recorded on a Friday's sermon then edited/broadcasted Sunday). Music at all campuses is live. Musicians at the main campus are paid only, a mixture of volenteer/paid cover the satellite campuses, same for the tech that runs all of video/sound gear. It's a standard model for large churches that are growing atm, and it works well - gets people plugged in, serving their communities/involved etc. I have served churches like this for the last 12 years playing bass guitar/sports ministries etc. Just not Elevation. I have my personal reasons which I will not share but you can probably figure out now lol.

Last edited by Sloante74; 10-23-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Can't rep you again. Shucks.

I also would be interested in hearing if people did leave upon hearing this. I have several mom friends that are part of the church. Going to ask them when I see them on Halloween.
And please let us know, lol! I am curious as all get out!

Remember: I am a minister's daughter and I am fully aware of how closely the minister and his family are scrutinized. Folks want every bang for their buck and if the minister even drives a car that the folks in the church think is too "showy" . . . that can be a real problem. On the other hand, there are folks who WANT their minister to wear expensive suits, live in an upscale home and drive a luxury vehicle, as it shows their church is doing well. A lot of ministers preach a "Gospel of Prosperity" . . . and if the minister looks shabby, the church members don't take him very seriously.

Crazy how this stuff works . . . so if you get any insight from members, I hope you can share it.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
They are provided great music, fabulous media, community (if they chose to get involved) and the best feel good sermons in all of Charlotte. Why would you hear them complain? They are definitely getting their money's worth.

I am with you, and I hope this is nothing but a "media story", because if Elevation church was indeed proven to be involved in a scandal, it would train wreck the church scene here in Charlotte....which is something NONE of us want.
YES! We are on the same page. For sure!

I find the whole set up about like putting on cruise ship extravaganza - it is theatre.

And I hope I don't sound condescending. It just isn't my style of worship. BUT - it does fit the needs, evidently, of many folks and that is the whole point of the ministry. It is providing what people feel they don't get in other churches.

I agree with you - Elevation being brought down would be damaging in many ways for Charlotte. I am "banking" (if you will) on Furtick being much too savvy to allow himself to be out of compliance with the IRS.

However, he SURELY HAD TO KNOW that buying/building an expensive property would put him in the bull's eye with media. And although I am the first to say - if it's legal, it's his business - the largesse that house implies raised my eyebrow a few degrees, lolololol.

Makes me wanna start a church. I can sing, dance, pontificate and write books, too.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:

Maybe.. I'm pretty sure a 16K sq ft mansion isn't going to sit well with everyone.

You asked if a Pastor needs to live in a trailor... that's laughable. Did anyone make a stink about his 2000 sq ft home or his 4000 sq ft home? No.. because those aren't excessive.

If he drove a 750 BMW I doubt he would get flack over it... but if he pulled up in a stretched out Ferrari Limo you better believe people would start to wonder about his priorities.

He is free to build 5 mansions with his own money but people are also free to question his motives. I don't think anyone is suggesting he is doing anything illegal.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Don't speak for all of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte