U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM

2,115 posts, read 2,682,737 times

Advertisements

Yes, we do plan a trip soon. A lot of it comes down to "feel" that can't be explained or rationalized...

Chrome Kitty - what did you mean that our "accommodations would be met, but not our other needs"? What needs specifically wouldn't be met in this area? Safety? A downtown?

SunnyKayak - Wow! Thanks for the pics. Cedarfield looks gorgeous! I love the greenway trail - great for the doggie.

Go Phils - No, we are not leaving MA because there is no mall in town - LOL. We are leaving because of the 6 months of cold and snow, not being able to buy a house for less than 650K, and taxes surpassing 5K on a very small townhouse type house. In a nutshell, we want better weather and lower RE costs.

It is very hard for me to believe - and sad if it's true - that EVERY single town in both NC and SC are subject to home invasions. The crime stats that I have read so far portrays both Huntersville and Matthews (and Cornelius) as have VERY low crime, in particular, very low violent crime. Is that not true?

And no, I would not be comfortable living in a town that I would have to worry about being home and having someone with a gun break in while I was there - sorry. I can't believe many people would be comfortable with that.

If that's truly the way that it is there, we will look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,591,481 times
You just simply are not going to meet the safety needs you have stated in the greater Charlotte area. You are going to to need to live in an area that you don't prefer in order to be close to a mall etc.....

As we discussed in the other forum, I just don't think you will be happy anywhere other than you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Yes, we do plan a trip soon. A lot of it comes down to "feel" that can't be explained or rationalized...

Chrome Kitty - what did you mean that our "accommodations would be met, but not our other needs"? What needs specifically wouldn't be met in this area? Safety? A downtown?

SunnyKayak - Wow! Thanks for the pics. Cedarfield looks gorgeous! I love the greenway trail - great for the doggie.

Go Phils - No, we are not leaving MA because there is no mall in town - LOL. We are leaving because of the 6 months of cold and snow, not being able to buy a house for less than 650K, and taxes surpassing 5K on a very small townhouse type house. In a nutshell, we want better weather and lower RE costs.

It is very hard for me to believe - and sad if it's true - that EVERY single town in both NC and SC are subject to home invasions. The crime stats that I have read so far portrays both Huntersville and Matthews (and Cornelius) as have VERY low crime, in particular, very low violent crime. Is that not true?

And no, I would not be comfortable living in a town that I would have to worry about being home and having someone with a gun break in while I was there - sorry. I can't believe many people would be comfortable with that.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,094,493 times
Quote:

Every single home everywhere is subject to a home invasion. For Matthews, you can get the crime stats for a particular area by calling the police department.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM

314 posts, read 583,476 times
I think in regards to break ins or being held at gunpoint, it CAN happen anywhere but doesn't mean it necessarily WILL happen. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity such as leaving the garage open or car door unlocked. Some areas are more susceptible than others for certain crimes to occur but no place is immune to any type of crime. As far as someone coming in and holding a gun to your head, could it happen? Sure. It could happen in Huntersville, Matthews or Newburyport. But is it as likely to happen in these places as opposed to certain sections of Charlotte or Roxbury MA? No.

I don't think anyone is trying to scare or discourage you from looking to move here and from what I gather on your posts you just want to make sure you are in a safe area where the norm isn't someone trying to break in your home or cause you harm. There is no reason to remove Huntersville or Matthews off your list as far as that goes. I would not move my family to a dangerous area where the likelihood of violent crime happening to us or near us was high. But I am aware that no one and no area is immune and I just take the proper precautions, use common sense and enjoy life in NC! Same as I would do anywhere. And if you were choosing dangerous areas trust me, posters on this forum would tell you!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM

Chrome Kitty - Could you please be a little more explicit - "You are going to have to live in an area that you don't prefer in order to be close to a mall, etc."

I never said I wanted to live next to a mall, so I don't get the comment. I said it would be nice if there was one closer by than in Newburyport where I live. What we do want is the day to day conveniences - grocery, pharmacy, vet, hospital to be IN town. I don't think that's an unreasonable request, and don't see how that puts us looking to live in a "bad" area.

MA2NC - thanks for the clarification on the violent crime. You are correct, we are seeking only a "safe" area for our family.

I do not agree that "violent crime is everywhere". There are areas of the country that people do not worry about such things, and areas of the country where they are commonplace. We want to be in an area of the country where people don't worry about such things - like where we live now. Could it happen - sure. Is it likely to happen - not hardly.

I live in a very safe city and don't leave my garage door open or my house unlocked or my car unlocked. I don't do stupid things, but I do walk alone late at night or early in the morning when it is dark (with the dog) and feel completely safe and want to be able to do so wherever we move. I wouldn't want to be in a place where I was having to constantly look over my shoulder or be "on guard".

Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,997,839 times
You're gonna be disappointed with options in your price range if you want new construction.

You should rank what's most important, because if you move for a 24 hour vet and hate the hot humid summers, car-centric lifestyle, hustle and bustle (both Huntersville and Matthews get congested), people, or whatever, you're going to be unhappy perhaps. Your town sounds really cool... Make sure you're really ready to leave.

But don't get me wrong. The city will welcome you. And you could find a lot of what you're looking for... But I can't think of any Charlotte neighborhood that meets all your criteria.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:57 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,356,060 times
Please be careful about the crime conversation on CD... while Charlotte has crime issues like any large city, it doesn't spill over into every neighborhood.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM

488 posts, read 657,653 times
If you are on Facebook and like the Huntersville Police Department they put up a twice daily call log - usually I find them amusing. It is a great way to see about what is going on

Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM

Yep, no place is perfect....

Here we have a "cool" town (smallest city in MA actually), but exhorbitant RE prices as well as RE taxes, 6 mos of cold and snow (and no 24 hr vet in town - hah!)

Down south we will have hot, humid summers, but have a 24 hr vet, nice, curteous people (from our visits to SC anyway), much lower RE costs, much lower taxes.

Yes, it's a trade-off and one we don't take lightly, so that's why all the questions - and of course several visits.

Understanding that newer construction might not be an option. We're balancing the trade-offs. One other thing we've learned is if we want some trees (we do) and less "cookie cutter" older subdivisions are a better fit.

As to the crime, part of the reason we focused on this area - as well as Cary/Apex is that the crime scores are excellent, especially for violent crime.

Huntersville, Matthews, Davidson, Cornelius, etc. are considered VERY safe places to live.

And although Charlotte has crime issues, as stated above, like any major city, it's much less than a lot of major cities.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 PM

5,877 posts, read 7,718,306 times
I'm not saying you're going to get robbed if you move here, but this quote from your first post made me a bit nervous:

Quote:
We've been looking in the Charleston, SC area, (Mount Pleasant) but prices there are a bit higher than is comfortable for us, and although we love the area, we don't love the crime. People say crime is everywhere, but where we come from (Newburyport, MA), the biggest thing that happens is kids being rowdy, or a DUI, or speeding.
If one of the biggest issues you have where you currently live is speeding, than I thought you might be taken aback if many of your neighbors even in the better areas of NC have security systems on their homes. Even if crime is not a common occurrence, it is still a consideration. But since you said you already do lock your doors and keep your garage closed, it sounds like it already is a consideration for you so you probably will be satisfied with the safety in the general Charlotte area, especially the suburbs. But once again I would not write off the city of Charlotte completely just because the "stats" which include a very large area say it is dangerous (yet still less dangerous than a lot of other cities). Much of the city limits are pretty suburban and there are many areas (such as South or SW Charlotte) that are equally if not more safe than Matthews and Huntersville. The nicest areas will be out of your price range, but I think SW Charlotte/Steele Creek area could be a decent fit as you get a pretty good bang for your buck there, mainly because the schools aren't that great, but it doesn't seem like that is a factor for you.

I think when some other posters were talking about compromising on other things, they may have been referring to this quote:

Quote:
...independent shops and restaurants, an old independent movie theatre, a live theatre, a waterfront park with free concerts, a farmers market, and festivals all year long... We are surrounded by other quaint towns with farms, apple orchards, etc.
If you are expecting all this except with better weather and cheaper RE prices, than you will be disappointed.

However, if really all you need is this:

Quote:
Our lives are simple - we don't care about nightlife. Happy with a movie now and then, or going to a pub that has live music, or out to eat.
Then you can probably find what you want in NC (or probably even Mt. Pleasant SC as you said you were also looking into). I'm not that familiar with them but as you mentioned Cary and Apex (and Raleigh) are definitely worth looking into as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte