U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 AM

68 posts, read 109,783 times

Advertisements

After spending my entire life living in big cities I think I have had enough. I'm tired of traffic, smog, and the fast-paced life style. I long to look up at the sky and actually see stars in the sky.

I am thinking about moving to Charlotte because I have heard good things about it. I am a little nervous about the change of culture though. How will the natives react to me? I've seen in movies where a stranger walks into small town restaurant and everyone goes silent and just stares. I know that is most likely an exaggeration, but it still makes me a bit nervous. I'd like to meet people because I have no friends or family in NC.

I also need to think about employment. I know nothing about farming, but I'm very eager to learn. I just need to find someone patient enough to take a chance on me. The thought of working on a farm with the open fields all around me really excites me.

Maybe I'll meet a pretty woman and finally settle down. Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions from those of you that live in Charlotte. Any advice is much appreciated; like how to speak to the locals or the best places to live for single guy in his late 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,747,647 times
Where are you from?! Most people would consider Charlotte a big city.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM

21,983 posts, read 27,275,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will724 View Post
After spending my entire life living in big cities I think I have had enough. I'm tired of traffic, smog, and the fast-paced life style. I long to look up at the sky and actually see stars in the sky.

I am thinking about moving to Charlotte because I have heard good things about it. I am a little nervous about the change of culture though. How will the natives react to me? I've seen in movies where a stranger walks into small town restaurant and everyone goes silent and just stares. I know that is most likely an exaggeration, but it still makes me a bit nervous. I'd like to meet people because I have no friends or family in NC.

I also need to think about employment. I know nothing about farming, but I'm very eager to learn. I just need to find someone patient enough to take a chance on me. The thought of working on a farm with the open fields all around me really excites me.

Maybe I'll meet a pretty woman and finally settle down. Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions from those of you that live in Charlotte. Any advice is much appreciated; like how to speak to the locals or the best places to live for single guy in his late 20's.

Unless you plan to move to a city or town near Charlotte I have no idea what you're talking about. Have you looked at a map? I live 30 miles out from Charlotte & you have to leave the city limits to find farms.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM

5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
Some of OP's other posts:

Quote:
Charlotte will always be inferior to ATL.
Quote:
Charlotte is an overgrown small town and is about the size that ATL was about 40 years ago. Maybe even longer. When I went to Charlotte I felt like I went back in time. It's very slow placed, old fashioned, and lacks culture. The entire town shuts down at 8pm and there is nothing to do there except shop and eat.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,309,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

People who always feel put down, that people don't like to be around and don't feel like they belong always talk about how better XYZ than ABC is so they feel better about themselves when in reality they probably don't even fit in in city XYZ.

And no offense, these post couldn't have been written by an adult. Only children would write such rubbish.

And ATL is not a "big city" The way described in the OP..... That's more NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, San Fran.... Not Atlanta lol.

Calling Charlotte overgrown small town is the same as calling Pittsburg, Cinncinati, Austin, Portland, Denver, Detroit, Baltimore, Columbus, Nashville, Memphis, Cleveland, San Antonio, etc. a small over grown town with farms....

Do you realize how ignorant your post are? We are perfectly content here. I personally would hate living in Spraw-lanta. You can dish it so I assume you can take it; Atlanta, for a large town, lacks culture, lacks density and Wayyyy to suburban compared to its peers such as Boston & Chicago by a longgggg shot. (I wouldn't even put ATL & Chicago in the same category, but I'm just humoring you).

There's really no reason anyone from CLT to go to ATL anymore that we can't get here (and what we don't, there is Columbia). Our theme park is going to be phenomenal, our airport also has tons of non stops (just got 4 new Euro flights today to Brussels, Lisbon, Manchester, and Barcelona and already service to Madrid, Rome, Munich, Frankfurt, Paris, London & Dublin and also Brasil (Sao Paulo & Rio De Janeiro).

Besides, DC is close also.

(for the record; I love Atlanta... And Charlotte and most all cities)

Last edited by Charlotte485; 10-21-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,253,444 times
This was obviously meant to be a put-down of Charlotte.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM

21,983 posts, read 27,275,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Thanks. Apparently the OP isn't aware that the City of Charlotte is larger than the City of Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,923,848 times
This gave me a giggle. Thanks OP!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,587,577 times

Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,439,548 times
If Charlotte is not a big city, it is one who is doing everything in its power to become one. After all, we're World Class!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or