U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 AM

13 posts, read 33,590 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at relocating to the area. I lived there years ago but areas change. The two that come up the most for what I am looking at (schools) are Mooresville (Lake Norman schools) and Waxhaw (weddington schools). I like the location (closer to family) of Mooresville but want an area that offers the best lifestyle for kids. Things to do etc, and not having to drive 30minutes for milk Any suggestions or pros and cons between the two??
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 12:10 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,101,385 times
Well I really cannot comment on Waxhaw but Mooresville has seen a major Boom the last copule of years. There are plenty of things to do. I guess it all depends on what you enjoy doing on your down time.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 PM

..Also Mooresville is supposed to get there version of Birkdale at some point in the near future

Old 10-17-2006, 12:26 PM

from what I have read in other posts someone mentioned it was more rural up there?? what is there to do up there opposed to waxhaw/weddington area??

Old 10-17-2006, 10:07 PM

348 posts, read 316,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
..Also Mooresville is supposed to get there version of Birkdale at some point in the near future
Charlotte Agent, you really do love that Birkdale! LOL!

Waxhaw is quaint, country. Lots of farms and a tiny, but cute mainstreet with antique shops, ice cream shop, etc. Depending on where you are in Waxhaw, it can actually be as far as 20 or 25 mins from the 485 highway. There is lots of new retail development moving in, but it's mostly small little mom-pop type shops rather than large chain type things. But I'm sure that will change. Getting to 485 means taking 2-lane roads (such as Providence Road), which can be a bear during rush hour. However, there are plans to expand Providence to 4 lanes, but that won't be completed until 2009 is what I've read. Waxhaw is trying to hold onto it's quaint, rural roots. In 20 mins you are in South Charlotte with lots of decent restaurants/shopping.

Mooresville is the flip. Closer to Lake Norman. In my opinion, way too crowded already and as Charlotte Agent has said, it is booming--so will only get worse. Also, 485 is not completed up there yet, so you've got to run 77 (which is ghastly during rush hour). It still has some pretty rural parts, but they are being snapped up fast!

Personally, I'm not a fan of that Birkdale look. Though I love the style of the architecture of the Birkdale homes, I detest the zero clearance lots with no backyards and the fact that you can literally touch your neighbors house from your own house. And I certainly don't want to live in a neighborhood with shops/restaurants and people crawling all over where I live every day. I left NYC to escape that kinda thing---but, of course, that could be another person's cup of tea. For me, I prefer to stretch out in my roomy yard. But there are folks that love the convenience of Birkdale...it is a walking neighborhood for people that want convenience.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 AM

431 posts, read 1,496,457 times
There are quite a few developments in Waxhaw (more like S.Weddington) which are only 5 miles from 485 and wonderful shopping (Blakely, Stonecrest, Promenade etc. etc.)
Now thats heading North. You can travel South towards the town of Waxhaw and find very nice ammenities also and alot more coming.
Waxhaw is a great place to live and raise a family. You are surrounded by million dollar developments and also some modest ones.
Schools are excellent. New ones are being planned because of the growth. Providence Rd. is only bad up by 485, otherwise its fine.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:15 AM

Heard that weddington schools only have basketball supplied by the school otherwise there is parent grouping to get the other sports. Is that just elementary or all their schools?

Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 AM

I love it and hate it.... I used to ride Dirt Bikes around there growing up being chased by the farmers for spooking hte cows etc. On the same token I appreciate the growth of the area as it is good for the local economy.

Its fun during the different changing seasons its not just a one month deal.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,540,659 times
I'm not sure how the sports are funded, but Weddington middle has football, soccer, cross-country basketball (not sure about anything else in the winter), baseball and lacrosse. Elementary schools don't have organized sports through the school, but check out the Wesley Chapel Weddington Athletic Association: www.wcwaa.org My children (middle school and elementary age now) compete through this organization which has been absolutely phenomenal. Feel free to PM me if you would like any additional information or are interested in looking around the south charlotte and union county areas. Best of luck!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,370,548 times
Recreationally, there's more to do in Mooresville. Since your family lives close to Mooresville, that'd be my pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte