U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 AM

68 posts, read 179,116 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are taking a trip to NC to check out the Lake Norman and Union County areas. A friend has highly recommended his realtor and we will likely use him..... assuming of course, that we like what we see.

My question is.... when you first visited the area, did you have a realtor show you around or did you just figure it out for yourself???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 33,367 times
We had a good friend show us around who has lived their for 10 years and has worked for a developer. The first day I was on my own and spun my wheels. Even after all my research on my own I thought I had it down but once you are there it is a lot bigger and more spread out than I thought. She knew places to go and showed me schools, shopping center, YMCA's, and different developments. It helped a lot and even after 4 days I hadn't seen it all!!! I would definitely explore a little on your own but have someone show you too!

Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 AM

362 posts, read 899,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
My husband and I are taking a trip to NC to check out the Lake Norman and Union County areas. A friend has highly recommended his realtor and we will likely use him..... assuming of course, that we like what we see.

My question is.... when you first visited the area, did you have a realtor show you around or did you just figure it out for yourself???
We went on our scouting trip in Aug. We had a realtor take us around in Lake Norman and some of Union county. The next day we took the new home guide and went to Cabarrus county ourselves. It was pretty easy following the maps to the various developments. Have fun. What part of NJ are you from?

Old 10-17-2006, 11:27 AM

Yes, I think I will get a realtor help me out. The whole process is overwhelming and I don't want to be spinning my wheels!

Old 10-17-2006, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 33,729 times
which area did you find to have the most things to do and also did you find out about schools? I heard weddington schools in union co and also Lake Norman schools by the lake were good but havent checked out the lake area yet?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:08 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,118,503 times
Oh come on why not drive around and get lost in a new city. You know it will be fun When I go out of town I love getting lost. My wife on the other hand does not seem to enjoy it as much. Must be a male thing

One good thing about having a Realtor drive you around is when you come across a house you like you can go inside and check it out. Unless you are really organized all the MLS numbers start to get confusing.

Either way I hope you enjoy it here!

Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,377,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Oh come on why not drive around and get lost in a new city. You know it will be fun When I go out of town I love getting lost. My wife on the other hand does not seem to enjoy it as much. Must be a male thing
So, if someone tells you to "get lost" you smile and say OKAY!

I'm the same way - and I'm not even a guy! Luckily, DH likes to "get lost" too. We both like to explore, and now our kids have picked that up.

Whenever I have moved to a new town, I keep a map in the car just in case, and I purposely drive around and turn onto streets just because they look interesting. If I find something I like along the way, I find it on the map and mark it. I also bring a note pad and make notes.

It's amazing how quickly you can acclimate to a new town if you're willing to "get lost!"

Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 PM

146 posts, read 412,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
So, if someone tells you to "get lost" you smile and say OKAY!

I'm the same way - and I'm not even a guy! Luckily, DH likes to "get lost" too. We both like to explore, and now our kids have picked that up.

Whenever I have moved to a new town, I keep a map in the car just in case, and I purposely drive around and turn onto streets just because they look interesting. If I find something I like along the way, I find it on the map and mark it. I also bring a note pad and make notes.

It's amazing how quickly you can acclimate to a new town if you're willing to "get lost!"
We do the same thing! We went down to Charlotte this past weekend and did it on our own. We didn't want to waste a realtor's time until we had narrowed down our area search a bit. But we probably wasted a lot of time because of it- but we didn't care. We stopped at neighborhood grocery stores and talked to locals a bit to get a feel for some of the areas, even if we didn't intend to buy there.

We stayed downtown to check out the city and also to be centrally located. We had a blast...we even got to catch a couple games at the Fox and Hound Sunday night before hopping over to the airport for our evening flight

Old 10-17-2006, 01:05 PM

Yes...getting lost might be nice.... But, me and my husband both work a ton and don't have the leisure of taking more than a few days to scout. Also, we'll have our baby with us....and he probably won't have as much patience as we will need. I will probably take a day to explore Lake Norman area, a day to explore Union County (both with a realtor). Then, we'll probably take a day to further explore the area that made the better impression on us....

Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,118,503 times
Well NJMom if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or