U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 PM

123 posts, read 184,528 times

Advertisements

currently living in suburbs of Memphis, looking for a job in Charlotte area, if similar salary, will I be better off or worse off in terms of cost of living and taxes? given I need housing in good public school area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,035,541 times
On average, Charlotte has a higher cost of living than Memphis. Here are some websites to do COL calculations:
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

of course, these are just averages - does not mean you won't be able to find a comparable situation for you. Generally though, you pay more to be in a good school area.

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 08:11 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,743,722 times
I have not lived in Memphis, but I drove through it once and I thought it was really dumpy. Even if the cost of living is the same, I'd pick Charlotte as a nicer looking city.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 845 times
I live in Memphis and spent a couple weeks this year doing temp work in Charlotte. I think Charlotte is slightly cheaper. Memphis stats are misleading due to a plethora of low quality options dragging down the stat. (ie the median house in memphis in addition to being cheaper is more rundown and older. ) Equivalent stuff seemed about the same or a little lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: