U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ideal Life View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. my son and I are coming down for 10 days the end of this week, and now we have a place to start looking!
Hey Ideal Life!
I think you are going to find most of the neighborhoods here to be very warm and welcoming. Here are a few to check out also: Callonwood, Brookhaven, Chestnut Place, Chestnut Oaks. These are all right next to Matthews, which is a good location, and are VERY family friendly. Schools are good, too. Your son will find many friends here, and so will you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,092,856 times
I live in a community in Fort Mill. In my block, when people get sick, they prepare dinners for you so you don't have to cook. One of my neighbors offered to turn the soil on my flower beds as I was preparing to plant bulbs. They offer carpools for your kids. There's always cold beer being offered, and they don't walk in to their houses immediately and close their garage doors behind them, like they did where I lived in CT. The neighbors picked up the paper on your driveway, and watered your plants in the summer if you vacationed for a week. There are many of these I heard in Fort Mill...the schools are phenomenal, the people are helpful and courteous without being in your face.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,593,013 times
Huntersville or Fort Mill. NOT Matthews. While Matthews is a very nice area, it is not convenient if you work in Uptown Charlotte. And look on a map, you can't get anywhere from Matthews quickly...I-485 only goes towards Pineville or I-85. If you want to get into town, Independence Blvd (nightmare) or Monroe Rd (also congested).

Huntersville or Fort Mill even in rush hour you could be in town (Uptown) in 30 minutes.

Fort Mill has probaby the HIGHEST rated school district in the whole Metro Charlotte area and Mooresville "city scholls only" are right there to, but talk about traffic, Mooresville is a little fare out. Also very nice to, but if you want an easy commute into Charlotte, I would suggest either Huntersville, NC or Fort Mill, SC.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 AM

117 posts, read 300,659 times
My first response was Baxter too! It's right off the highway so it's easy to get anywhere from there and the schools are awesome and the whole concept is really cool they have a website you should check it out...google village of baxter. Good luck to you!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,238 times
Default Move In Next Door

Park Vista Circle In Pinneville Walks At Night No Hoa And Housing Still Around 100 Dollars A Square Foot. My Neighbor Is Listing His House In January

Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,493,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ideal Life View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. my son and I are coming down for 10 days the end of this week, and now we have a place to start looking!
Don't rule out some areas in Gaston County either. 85 is much easier to travel than 77 and there are some beautiful areas. I live in Dallas which is about 30 - 45 minutes from Charlotte depending on where you are going. There are some nice areas around Belmont, Mt. Holly, and Cramerton that are much closer and sound like what you are looking for! Good luck with your search

Old 12-12-2007, 04:08 PM

706 posts, read 1,318,108 times
I agree that Baxter is very nice, as are many other communities. By and large though, I think the difference is just that here you're in the south and people, even though we're almost all transplants, act differently. When I lived in Maryland I felt none of that. So I think you'll find more welcoming by neighbors in general.

I don't know of any specific neighborhoods besides Baxter to point you to, but I'd suggest that if you drive through other neighborhoods, look for sidewalks, quiet streets, and closer homes to ensure that you have more opportunity to hang out and meet your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte