U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 PM

21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Yes there are many troops sponsored by Catholic churches. Believe I read that they are the 3rd largest religious supporter/troop leader provider or whatever that term is for boy scouts in the US. I know St. Matt's does cub scouts and boy scouts.
Thanks. I didn't want to assume that it was still the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,714,565 times
First of all, I don't care and certainly don't have a dog in the fight, but if sexual orientation of kids sharing a tent doesn't matter to anyone, why have the boy and girl scouts not be sleeping in same tent all along. Or for that matter, and I don't know, do young men run girl scout troops and sleep in close proximity out in the deep woods?

Just a little something for all of you "who have all the right answers" to ponder.

I am not big on WWJD, but I have to tell you, I really do not think the J man would kick gay kids out of scouts. In fact, I cant see Jesus turning his back on anyone. I may be wrong. But I don't think so!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 PM

346 posts, read 548,915 times
This has everything to do with Calvary following God breathed scripture and has nothing to do with Calvary excluding gays. Culture has changed its views, but scripture remains the same. Just because a particular church disagrees with the lifestyle, doesn't mean they don't love people. The same people that preach tolerance are the same ones who are intolerant of someone else's view. If you don't believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible (and no, I'm talking about Leviticus), then you won't understand.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I have no involvement with Calvary and this is just speculation in my side....hope not to offend anybody.
Here it goes: - maybe, maybe the church decision it is based not as much on its "good conscience", as maybe on the possibility that there could be parents who would be very vocal against having their kids as part of boy scouts trips/activities with other openly gay kids & leaders...maybe church is afraid of creating even bigger controversy between parents and loosing/angering long standing members... could this be a possibility?

In my understanding most churches while not promoting, they do accept gay members, everybody is welcome (that I know of). This is what makes me think that maybe it is not the "anti-gay" reason as much as the avoidance to stir bigger controversies between members...
I think you are probably right on target as far as upsetting some members. But again, why are "openly gay" people so worrisome? The Boy Scouts don't promote Drag Queen achievement badges, lololol.

If parents are worried about gay Boy Scouts, then simply won't allow their sons to be members of BSA.

As for the other "older" members . . . those folks would not even have sons the age to belong to BSA. It all comes down to some folks simply don't want to be associated with an organization that allows gay members/leaders. Or, some people think being gay "rubs off" on other kids . . . or they have mixed up child predators with being gay, both of which stances are sheerly ignorant.

However, they have the right to believe whatever they wish to believe -- not trying to say they don't. And there is certainly nothing that forces churches to sponsor Girl Scout and/or Boy Scout troops.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
First of all, I don't care and certainly don't have a dog in the fight, but if sexual orientation of kids sharing a tent doesn't matter to anyone, why have the boy and girl scouts not be sleeping in same tent all along. Or for that matter, and I don't know, do young men run girl scout troops and sleep in close proximity out in the deep woods?

Just a little something for all of you "who have all the right answers" to ponder.

I am not big on WWJD, but I have to tell you, I really do not think the J man would kick gay kids out of scouts. In fact, I cant see Jesus turning his back on anyone. I may be wrong. But I don't think so!
So this is what everyone has on his mind when they are camping with Boy Scouts?

Let's go camp in the woods so we can have sex play in tents?

Dang. I thought it was all about learning survival skills like - how to build a fire, how to fish, how to properly pitch a tent, etc.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Here's some background . . . BSA decided in May of this year to allow gay youth in their ranks. The policy on banning gay LEADERS did not change.

Boy Scouts vote to lift ban on gay youth - U.S. News

Please note, from the article:

The policy change will go into effect Jan. 1, 2014, "allowing the Boy Scouts of America the transition time needed to communicate and implement this policy to its approximately 116,000 Scouting units," the BSA said in a statement.

But the outcome of the historic ballot is not going to end the debate: Some opponents on the right said they would pull their sponsorships of packs and troops, and parents threatened to take their boys out of Scouting; LGBT activists said the policy change doesn't go far enough because gay adults still wouldn't be allowed to participate.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Really.
very easy to do when quoting scriptures in 2013...

Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM

3,099 posts, read 4,123,528 times
The Catholic Church officially supports the change in policy allowing openly gay/bisexual Scouts. The Mormon/LDS Church also supports the policy change, and is the biggest reason it passed. Many others major churches also support the new policy allowing Gay Scouts.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 AM

3,099 posts, read 4,123,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
This has everything to do with Calvary following God breathed scripture and has nothing to do with Calvary excluding gays. Culture has changed its views, but scripture remains the same. Just because a particular church disagrees with the lifestyle, doesn't mean they don't love people. The same people that preach tolerance are the same ones who are intolerant of someone else's view. If you don't believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible (and no, I'm talking about Leviticus), then you won't understand.
Where in the Bible does it say exclude gay children from scouting?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM

398 posts, read 754,438 times
Don't like it? Move to the other church run by the guy who resides in a 1.7 million $ house.

Whatever you decide, please do not forget to slap their bumper sticker to your ride, so we all know where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or