Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:36 PM

93 posts, read 422,529 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I have been researching housing options in the Charlotte area on craigslist. I have come across quite a few postings for single family homes for rent for less than $800. My question is this, do you think these are real postings? They seem almost too good to be true. I currently live in Phoenix, and you CAN in fact find single family homes for rent for this price, if you go out far enough, is it the same in Charlotte?

Here are some examples of the postings I found on craigslist that seem too good to be true;

Fantastic home for rent {broken link}

this home is a must see. 2-Story {broken link}

1 Story Basement, Bungalow - Charlotte, NC {broken link}

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-28-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:02 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
If no address is given, scam. If an address is given and you can find it on realtor.com for sale, 90% scam. The second one I found on there.
mod cut

Don't despair though, I found my last two rentals on craigslist. Just do your due diligence. Look it up on realtor.com, look inside the place regardless if it's occupied or not (common excuse why no tours inside), don't ever send monies unless you can verify they are the owner on charmeck.com property look up etc. Your best options from out of town is a realtor or an appointment community.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-28-2013 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM

The third one:mod cut

At that price point, they might be for rent but I would contact the realtor.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 10-20-2013, 03:36 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times
Two words: Basement and bungalow are red flags to me. My first guess would be very old home in not so good neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
There have been real scams where folks thought they were signing a legit contract, sending money and getting a key for a rental, showed up with their U-Haul, only to find that the home was not the "Landlord's" to rent at all. Big scam.

I have no idea if this is happening in the Charlotte area, but I have seen national reports by legitimate news outlets about this happening in various places across the country.

Just be careful when doing business long distance.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:42 PM

Oh it's very prevalent here. I called the realtor on two when I was looking for a rental house and was told they were NOT rentals. Now I do the search on realtor.com before I contact the listing. (not a failsafe but it's a step to weed out the scams)

Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I have been researching housing options in the Charlotte area on craigslist. I have come across quite a few postings for single family homes for rent for less than $800. My question is this, do you think these are real postings? They seem almost too good to be true. I currently live in Phoenix, and you CAN in fact find single family homes for rent for this price, if you go out far enough, is it the same in Charlotte?

Here are some examples of the postings I found on craigslist that seem too good to be true;

Fantastic home for rent

this home is a must see. 2-Story

1 Story Basement, Bungalow - Charlotte, NC

The second one on your list is located in Fort Mill and has only been on the market (For Sale) for a few days. I am very familiar with this area and my advice would be to call the listing agent and ask him if in fact it is a rental. If it is I'd ask him if they are just trying to rent it out until it sells ($800 would be a good deal for this).
mod cut

Tread lightly as there is a poster on the York County, SC side who was in a rental only to find out that the property was in foreclosure.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-28-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM

36 posts, read 89,574 times
If the price is substantially lower than comparable rentals in the area, it's very likely to be a scam.

Do not send any money without getting to a full tour of the property. A lot of fake apartment listings are Nigerian 419 scams that will get you to send money to them with some sort of story that the landlord is out of the country and they'll mail you the key.

The fake ads can be very realistic looking because the scammer will steal the description and photos from a real listing and simply change the price and contact information.

Tread lightly and remember - too good to be true usually is!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM

186 posts, read 287,315 times
This happened to us when we were selling our last home!

A scammer goes to the MLS, copies photos of your home for sale, takes a bit of the description, then goes to Craigslist and posts your home for rent at and outstanding price. You contact him regarding the rental and he replies that he and his wife are out of town, but you can begin the rental process by filling out attached paperwork. The paperwork asks for your full name, SSN, address, and all other important information. He also asks for one month's rent to hold the rental for you until he returns. We did not realize that this was happening on our home until a lady showed up at the door one night asking if she could see the rental. We were blown away. We had No idea that our house had been listed on Clist. Then, more and more people came by just to see if the house was legitimately for rent. I asked a couple of them to email me the correspondence they'd had with the scammer. They had all received the same email. Luckily, no one that came by had actually given the scammer any information. I would assume others did, though.

It was scary, because the scammer had even gone to Meck Co tax records, found our names on the deed, and was signing the emails from us! Long story short, if it seems too good to be true....check it out and go to the actual home. Knock on the door and talk to the owner/renter in person.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Well, all three links in the OP have been "flagged for removal"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte