Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,577 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are currently living in NYC but are most likely moving to Charlotte 6/2014 and have a weekend trip planned in 2 weeks just to check the area out. I have been doing a lot of research but would really like some recommendations for things that we should check out while visiting. I am not looking at doing tourist type attractions but more to get a feel of everyday life. We do not have jobs yet however I am in health care and is usually pretty easy for me to find a job. That being said, we would not move until at least one of us had a job. We are both 30 with no children and would like to live near restaurants/shops, ect. From my research South Park seems to be the area we would most likely try to get an apartment in(would definetly like to rent x 1 year, prior to buying). Budget would be upto $1300/month but would like to be under if possible. So any recommendations for area to check out/restaurants/apartment complexes/or other things to do while visiting would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 12:08 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,284,402 times
South Park is a very nice area to live in, but rather pricey. While you're looking, you should check out Uptown itself, especially the 4th and 1rst wards. For a more bohemian feel, you could also visit Plaza Midwood. Ballantyne has a lot of apartments near stores, but is less walkable than South Park - not that many people really do walk in South Park, but it's quite easily done since there are sidewalks everywhere.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM

328 posts, read 614,616 times
Congratulations on your upcoming move and it seems like you’re making some smart decisions by doing research and visiting the area prior to the transition. South Park is a nice area with upscale shopping and restaurants, but (in my opinion) you’ll find tons of areas closer to Uptown with more character in your budget without having to sacrifice safety or amenities. The neighborhoods around Uptown that I’d check out are Dilworth (along East Blvd), Elizabeth, South End, and Plaza Midwood. Dilworth and Elizabeth are likely the pricier areas, but I’ve definitely known people who have rented there for less than $1300. Neighborhoods like these are located adjacent to the center of the city, so you’d have access to both Uptown and South End pretty easily, as well as to a lot of parks and restaurants. Although CLT is not a very walkable city, living in areas like these trump that a little – especially since the Sugar Creek Greenway has been installed, which connects Uptown to Freedom Park, East Blvd, etc.

That said, South Park is lovely – you just might feel slightly more removed there (though its only about an 8 minute drive to Uptown). Just be sure to keep your options open.

While you’re down here, I’d suggest checking out the “cultural campus” in Uptown (a cluster of fantastic museums on Tryon) or take the public art tour to get a good sense of the layout inside the beltway. McColl Center is fantastic too. Some good restaurants to keep in mind: Pike’s and Mac’s in South End, Mert’s in Uptown, Revolution Pizza in NoDa (or Fuel Pizza at South and East Blvd for cheap, good food), or Cantina 1511 on East. Just my two cents.

Hope you have a great time on your visit.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM

22 posts, read 32,020 times
Hey mg. I'm about to relocate to Charlotte from Connecticut and have the same price range as you. I went down about a month ago to check it out. I'm 28 and single and absolutely fell in love with Uptown. It has so much within walking distance of all of the complexes down there. It's a very young professional city and for $1300 you could get a 1 bedroom at some decent places if you can get a deal (Camden Cotton Mills, maybe the Catalyst or renting a condo - Trademark or The Avenue).

I would advise just taking your car into uptown, parking it and just walking around during the day and see what the buzz of the city is. Then pick another night, say Thursday to do the same and see where folks are headed and you will find where the action is

Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,970,378 times
I've overheard people while riding the LYNX home discussing uptown units getting into the $1600 range, but most parts of town are not that dear. $1300 is a pretty realistic budget as long as you're not trying to rent an entire house anywhere you want.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,577 times
Thanks everyone, I will definetely check out the places you mentioned!

Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM

186 posts, read 286,366 times
A coworker of mine rents a really nice one bedroom in Uptown for $1300. He walks everywhere and loves it. It's doable on that budget.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 AM

527 posts, read 917,290 times
Check out Southend.. Lots of new condos for rent. Take blue line to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte