Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 PM

531 posts, read 1,079,536 times

Advertisements

As per Angies list - 'Manus contracting Inc' in Waxhaw has got the high ratings. Another is 'case remodeling of charlotte'. Few things to keep in mind: make sure you ask for references and call the references, ask for pictures of the work, make sure they are licensed and bonded, get everything in writing (contract) including specifics of warranty and completion dates, take communication/response time into consideration. Payment needs to be spread out during the work. Holidays are coming ...contractors may promise work and they may end up delaying.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Regarding references, they're not always the best way to tell with whom to do business. When I was in the A/V business, i was told by numerous people that they would give me a great reference if I gave them a deal, implying they wouldn't if I didn't. One memorable designer offered me referrals if I gave her nearly $6k worth of gear and install. She told me there were plenty of A/V vendors who wanted to do a system in her home, which she told me was a showpiece for her business. Her home was so messy and dirty that if it was mine I wouldn't let anyone in, let alone a client. I declined her generous offer, and later found out from a client that she was bad mouthing me.

The other issue with references is that you'll only get good ones from someone trying to get your business. Any smart vendor will keep you as far from their failures as possible.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:06 AM

531 posts, read 1,079,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Regarding references, they're not always the best way to tell with whom to do business. When I was in the A/V business, i was told by numerous people that they would give me a great reference if I gave them a deal, implying they wouldn't if I didn't. One memorable designer offered me referrals if I gave her nearly $6k worth of gear and install. She told me there were plenty of A/V vendors who wanted to do a system in her home, which she told me was a showpiece for her business. Her home was so messy and dirty that if it was mine I wouldn't let anyone in, let alone a client. I declined her generous offer, and later found out from a client that she was bad mouthing me.

The other issue with references is that you'll only get good ones from someone trying to get your business. Any smart vendor will keep you as far from their failures as possible.
I know there are some people who can bad mouth a business; may be when in business, give the names of the references who can be fair to you. I know its easier said that done but there will be at least 3 clients who may have been fair during a year or so.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Would recommend David Profitt custom homes. Lives in Salisbury now but used to be in Waxhaw. Renovated our master bath this Summer but has also built custom homes and done whole house renovations. We were very pleased with his work and he's very approachable, knowledgeable and does what he says he'll do, for the price he quoted and to a high standard. He has a background in engineering.

profitt custom homes | Great results require a professional builder!profitt custom homes

Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 AM

109 posts, read 120,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
I know there are some people who can bad mouth a business; may be when in business, give the names of the references who can be fair to you. I know its easier said that done but there will be at least 3 clients who may have been fair during a year or so.
Thanks for all the points and the recos. Will definitely keep them in mind.

Whats the best way to get references? Bcuz the recommendations from contractors would be the good ones. Met with one contractor last week and he gave me a ballpark estimate of 30K-40 K for single garage.
Does that sound fair to you ? Is there a per sq.ft value for building one? Also whats the average size of single car garage so that it fits SUV too?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Can anyone pitch in? One more qq, is the structural warranty voided since I will be making a door in the brick wall. And also touching probably one of the beams.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomeb View Post
Thanks for all the points and the recos. Will definitely keep them in mind.

Whats the best way to get references? Bcuz the recommendations from contractors would be the good ones. Met with one contractor last week and he gave me a ballpark estimate of 30K-40 K for single garage.
Does that sound fair to you ? Is there a per sq.ft value for building one? Also whats the average size of single car garage so that it fits SUV too?
A buddy just spent several months looking for the perfect used Yukon XL. He found it, but when he tried to put it in his garage, it didn't fit. He's been in the house 4 years and is just now finding out that what he thought he was told and what was actually built are two different things. Something about external and internal dimensions. So get out the tape measure!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 AM

I agree...Every contractor we met has just vaguely talked about dimensions. None talked about internal and external .
I was also worried about structural warranty...since this is the first time we will be doing any kind of addition to the house. And if one of them suggests its a structural load bearing wall the second one says it isn't. Really confusing! One said you cannot have a front load as per sub-division restrictions. I am not sure why sub-division should come into picture? I was thinking its just the county permits approval and HOA approval thats needed.

Anyone with any experience?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Need some advice please. The quotes from general contractors that we are getting to build a single car garage are pretty high i think.
Anyone know how much a 15X20 ft garage should cost in Charlotte?

Old 11-17-2013, 01:57 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,092 times
Try Eric Hoffman Service Company. If he can't do it, ask for a builder recommendation. I call him for home repairs and renovations. His crew is licensed for almost everything as far as I know, and his price is always in the middle of the estimates.

You may need to call a home builder since you'll need a slab poured. I'm not sure if Eric does foundation work. He'd probably sub it out like general contractors do.

Whatever you do, get several estamates and have a good idea about what you want. Look at magazines and go to Lowe's and Home Depot and look at their books and visit Garage Door manufractures. If you get recammendations from people you trust, all the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte