Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times

Advertisements

My wife and I and another couple are visiting Charlotte for a vacation, to see a football game and check out the area as a future retirement possibility. We have tickets for the Carolina/ New England game but were wondering what else to see or do? We have a car so traveling a bit is possible. We like local breweries, live music, concerts,fairs, events, actually pretty much anything fun. Advice on areas to avoid is welcome.
Oh, and the girls would like to know the weather this time of year. Something about planning outfits

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
My wife and I and another couple are visiting Charlotte for a vacation, to see a football game and check out the area as a future retirement possibility. We have tickets for the Carolina/ New England game but were wondering what else to see or do? We have a car so traveling a bit is possible. We like local breweries, live music, concerts,fairs, events, actually pretty much anything fun. Advice on areas to avoid is welcome.
Oh, and the girls would like to know the weather this time of year. Something about planning outfits

Thanks!
I'll be at that game with my little girl, we're Pats fans . Bank of America Stadium is a beautiful stadium and Charlotte Panthers fans are a class act, you should have a great time.

Since you will be uptown already, you should attempt a Horse Carriage ride. That's a wonderful way to see uptown.

Discovery Place is a nice place too. There's the Mint and Bechtler museums, all right there in uptown. Venturing out, there's the US National Whitewater Center, there's trails, zip lining and other fun stuff. That's just off the top of my head.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
Heist brewery in NoDa. In fact, Friday the 15th the NoDa area has their art/pub crawl starting at 6pm, I recommend that. As for weather, if you're coming from Vermont I think you'll be quite pleased with the weather. Probably 'cold-ish' at night and nice and mild during the day.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I think the Southern Christmas Show starts by then:

Southern Christmas Show - Charlotte, NC

Old 10-29-2013, 06:29 AM

328 posts, read 615,954 times
When I visit places, I like to check out the parks and outdoors space. The new Romare Bearden park in Uptown is beautiful, as is the Sugar Creek Greenway, which connects Uptown to Freedom Park / Dilworth, all of which are worth checking out and make for a lovely walk.

Definitely second what the poster above said about NoDa, too - it's worth a visit, especially if you happen to be here during an art crawl.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Keep them coming!

We're Pats fans as well. Saw a Titans /Pats Game in Nashville last year. Fans there were great as well. I think the stadium had more Pats fans than Titans! Should be a good game.

Art/pub crawl sounds fun. How about nightime music? Fan of the blues, brews, and BBQ. We'll check out all the other suggestions and start a list!

Old 10-29-2013, 05:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Triple C brewery in South end!A visit to the Levine Museum of the New South might alsobe a good place, located downtown.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
The Double Door Inn is Charlotte's most well known blues club (they have other music as well)
The Double Door Inn - Bringing Live Music to the Carolina since 1973
Similar to Noda but bigger is the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood - lots of restaurants, some vintage clothing stores and many young people - usually with lots of piercings/tattoos.
Weather is variable so check it before you come. At that time of year, it can be brisk or it can be warm. At the very most, you may need a medium weight wool or fleece lined jacket. The evenings will definitely be cool.
You could also check out the upscale South Park Mall. If the weather is nice, you could visit Freedom Park and walk along the Sugar Creek Greenway. I also recommend Romare Beardon Park in Uptown. This park will be a jewel in the city - especially one the adjacent baseball stadium is completed.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM

95 posts, read 163,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
Heist brewery in NoDa. In fact, Friday the 15th the NoDa area has their art/pub crawl starting at 6pm, I recommend that. As for weather, if you're coming from Vermont I think you'll be quite pleased with the weather. Probably 'cold-ish' at night and nice and mild during the day.

Definitely try any bar/pub crawls in Charlotte, you will have an incredible amount of fun. People are great, drunk but great still, rarely anything but laughs and drinks the entire time.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SincereRegal View Post
Definitely try any bar/pub crawls in Charlotte, you will have an incredible amount of fun. People are great, drunk but great still, rarely anything but laughs and drinks the entire time.

We're definitely up for a pub crawl. We have tickets to the Pats/Panthers game. Plan to visit the speedway (not real race fans, but seems like it'd be interesting). Since this is a vacation/retirement fact finding trip, we'll also be venturing out and around Charlotte. Any towns or areas nearby we should check out? We hear lake Norman area is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte