U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM

520 posts, read 770,788 times

Advertisements

FTC seems to be confused as well..
Discount Plan or Health Insurance? | Consumer Information

Discount Plan or Health Insurance?

Related PDF
Related Items

The Truth About Medical Discount Plans
PreviousNext
Generic Drugs and Low-Cost Prescriptions
Medicare Part D Solicitations
Medical Identity Theft
Medical Discount Scams Bookmark
Looking for health insurance? Make sure that’s what you’re buying, or you could find yourself on the hook for big medical bills with no way to pay them.

That’s because what sounds like affordable health insurance may be a medical discount plan instead. Medical discount plans can be a way for some people to save money on their health care costs, but discount plans aren’t health insurance.

The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, wants you to know that although some medical discount plans provide legitimate discounts, others take people’s money and offer very little in return. The FTC and its state law enforcement partners also have found that dishonest marketers selling these plans have tried to make people think they’re selling health insurance, or have lied about what their plans really offer.

Why Does It Matter?
If you buy a health insurance plan, it generally covers a broad range of services, and pays you or your health care provider for a portion of your medical bills. If you buy a medical discount plan, you generally are paying for a list of providers and sellers who may be willing to offer “discounts” on some of their services, products or procedures. Medical discount plans don’t pay your health care costs.

Question Discounts of “Up To”
“Discounts of up to 70%!” — but how often will you save that much? Savings with discount plans typically are a lot less. When you consider a discount plan’s monthly premiums and enrollment fees, there may be no “discount” at all. What’s more, if you have major health problems or an emergency, you will have to cover most, or all, of the bills if you don’t have health insurance.

Look at the Details
Medical discount plans aren’t a substitute for health insurance — nor are they the same as health insurance. Nevertheless, if you are interested in a discount plan, check whether the doctors you use participate. Call your providers, as well as others on the plan’s list, before you enroll or pay any fees. Some plan promoters may tell you that particular local doctors participate when they don’t, or they might send you outdated lists. Check out every claim, and get the details of any discount plan in writing before you sign up.

You Can Afford to Miss Out
Legitimate plans should be willing to point you to written information before you enroll. Pressure to sign up quickly or miss out on a “special deal” is your cue to say, “no thanks.”

Some Pitches Are After Your Information
Unfortunately, identity thieves also use pitches for medical discount plans and insurance to get your personal information. Don’t give out your financial information to someone who calls you out of the blue, or whose reputation you haven’t checked out. You can do that with your state insurance department, your state Attorney General, your local Better Business Bureau, and even by entering the company’s name and the word “complaints” in an online search engine to see what others have to say.

Resources Are Available
Your state insurance commissioner’s office can tell you if a plan is not insurance (and licensed in your state), and may be able to alert you to a scam. Find your contact at naic.org or consumeraction.gov. Learn more about medical discount plans at ftc.gov/health.

This article was previously available as Is It Really Health Insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Further googling confirmed what? That you got something in the mail? Scratching my head that something is confirmed then you end with what seems like an opinion. Link perhaps? Seems like an interesting thread idea.
Sorry, may be I was not very clear.

"Too good to true... Further googling just confirmed this." - > I meant googling confirmed that "it is too good to be true"

Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM

My card look like this..

Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,644,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
As much as people should honestly know better with crap like this, I similarly can't believe there is no consumer protection legislation in place to prevent such obviously deceptive marketing practices. I bet if the company was purporting to be Coke, Apple, Exxon etc this type of marketing campaign wouldn't have gone past Week 1.

The sheer number of people who appear to have questions about this tells me 1/. the marketer has spent a lot of time and money in their campaign 2/. the literature being peddled is intentionally deceptive.
Just go look at all the reported scams on facebook that are made up. Or the quotes by Jimmy Carter about being a Christian nation that never were made by Jimmy. Or Morgan Freeman's wise words on gun control.

We've got a long way to go. But before inviting government in to protect the stupid from themselves just remember there's always an IF. You can keep your current health insurance policy IF it meets with the governments approval. That's what we meant.

Remember what I said about vampires.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Sorry, may be I was not very clear.

"Too good to true... Further googling just confirmed this." - > I meant googling confirmed that "it is too good to be true"
I just wasn't sure exactly what product you were talking about. You have to remember that where I live the post office told me that a package marked as "delivered" to 28216 wasn't really meant to mean delivered to ME since I don't live in that zip code. Really what it means is that after being sent to Charlotte and sorted there it was then sent to 28216 to be sorted again and why was I complaining since it was frist class.

I still don't have my package and there is no sorting facility in 28216. So I remain confused about the mail.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
FTC seems to be confused as well..
My favorite agency. I'm meeting with them next week

Old 09-07-2015, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 556 times
I got this card in the mail today and never heard of it. I'm skeptical of course. But happens that I have to go to Walmart today to get insulin for my diabetic dog. I know what it normally costs ( $ 27.00 ). I'll try the card and report back today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte