U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 PM

182 posts, read 481,972 times

Advertisements

I personally like Harrisburg, but my husband is sold on Steele Creek, but I will change that, LOL. I will hae to work with a realtor. Mallard Creek is nice too. I never considered Huntersville or Concord because I always thought both places were so far from Charlotte. I did discover on my last trip a few weeks ago that most of the streets end up running into each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I guess this is where the traffic is going to be coming from when I-485 is complete, which is soon. You should consider a GPS you can get decent one for $80 bucks then no worries about street names.

Why Steele Creek, when there is decent areas in University City, Mallard Creek, Harrisburg, Concord or Huntersville.
Then you will save on time and gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM

182 posts, read 481,972 times
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_clt View Post
charlotte *is* hard to learn to navigate and you're not the first to make that observation. That is one thing greensboro does well versus charlotte and raleigh. Street signs are in large fonts, and suspended from the overhead wires with the traffic signals.

If you want to have some fun, go on google maps and see if you can locate these 3 road intersections in charlotte...

Queens and queens
colony and colony
painted tree and painted tree

Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 AM

2,716 posts, read 1,747,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I guess this is where the traffic is going to be coming from when I-485 is complete, which is soon. You should consider a GPS you can get decent one for $80 bucks then no worries about street names.

Why Steele Creek, when there is decent areas in University City, Mallard Creek, Harrisburg, Concord or Huntersville.
Then you will save on time and gas.
GPS is excellent advice. I've always prided myself on my sense of direction and ability to navigate new places. However, when I visited Charlotte, I rented a car and immediately got lost. I could not find my way anywhere. I quickly turned around and paid the extra fee for the GPS.

No problems after that. I plan on buying one when we move out there.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,841,369 times
If you been to Miami, it's nowhere as bad as traffic is in Miami all the time. I too am surprised you picked Steele creek, is your husband working there? It's not a convenient place to commute from to some major areas including as you now know, the university area.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,423,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
I personally like Harrisburg, but my husband is sold on Steele Creek, but I will change that, LOL. I will hae to work with a realtor. Mallard Creek is nice too. I never considered Huntersville or Concord because I always thought both places were so far from Charlotte. I did discover on my last trip a few weeks ago that most of the streets end up running into each other.
Your husband chose Steele Creek probably for a reason, and hopefully you two can work on a compromise.
We seem to be focus on you going to school, but not where he will be working or you if you are.

Nothing wrong with Steele Creek and sounds like your going to school at night, just from what we know were not sure its the best option.
If your husband a weekly flyer then most definitely Steele Creek.

If that is the case leaving for class between 5pm to 7pm will be a nightmare as there no way to avoid I-85/I-77 bottle neck. If there a wreck that always occur somewhere when it rains.
Just maybe they will finish I-485 loop then you can avoid the traffic and whip around to UNCC.

The areas I listed surround UNCC from closest to furthest but furthest is still alot closer than Steele Creek.

IMO I really think if you focus in Mallard Creek Rd and Prosperity Church Road area you will at the back door to UNCC.
Parts of Concord Im thinking of are also at the backdoor as they lie along the border.
Look into Pitt School Road area or one of the many developments off Poplar Tent Road.
Harrisburg and Huntersville I just threw out there but are on the bottom of the list.

Whereever you decide, your always welcome on this forum for recommendations and maybe ask road short cuts if there is any.

Click on Satelite view to get an idea on what is nearby to UNCC https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CKcBEPwS

Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,423,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
GPS is excellent advice. I've always prided myself on my sense of direction and ability to navigate new places. However, when I visited Charlotte, I rented a car and immediately got lost. I could not find my way anywhere. I quickly turned around and paid the extra fee for the GPS.

No problems after that. I plan on buying one when we move out there.
I always get lost on the east-south side of town. Even my GPS gets lost
I understand how streets work except that side of town.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 603,087 times
Well I learned when we came to town that your GPS can say North/South but the signs say East/West or Inner Loop/Outer Loop.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeLocks View Post
Well I learned when we came to town that your GPS can say North/South but the signs say East/West or Inner Loop/Outer Loop.
I always remember Northeast or Southwest. (so East is North etc)

But I hate that they changed the signs to the 485 to the inner/outer. I still am not used to it. For me it's the first one is Matthews, the second one is Pineville where I always get on the hwy. Heaven help me if I have to get on the 485 somewhere I don't know which is which. lol

Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,733,926 times
I've had some discussion about the inner/outer loop signs. It's seems that 50% of people just don't get it. For the other half, it's obvious. I think it's the map lovers for whom it's obvious - whenever we drive 485 (or anywhere else), we have the entire map picture in our minds - that we are going either clockwise or counterclockwise around Charlotte. Other people are just never aware which direction they are going in, where North is, etc.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I've had some discussion about the inner/outer loop signs. It's seems that 50% of people just don't get it. For the other half, it's obvious. I think it's the map lovers for whom it's obvious - whenever we drive 485 (or anywhere else), we have the entire map picture in our minds - that we are going either clockwise or counterclockwise around Charlotte. Other people are just never aware which direction they are going in, where North is, etc.
When I lived in FL, it was easier for me since I always knew where the ocean was. (East) It was my "homing" beacon. lol

Here I have no homing beacon or not yet. I am starting to get an affinity for South, especially if I can glimpse the spires of Calvary church or on my compass thingie in the car telling me I am heading South. If I didn't have that, I would be hopelessly lost. I don't have any sense of direction at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte