U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:07 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,740,900 times

Advertisements

I see Charlotte as a Bicycle wheel - 485 is the wheel and the spokes (in South Charlotte) are Independence, Monroe, Randolph/Sardis (crooked spoke!), Providence, Carmel (partial), Sharon/Quail Hollow, Park, and South Blvd. The other main roads like 51 and Fairview are cross streets.
(and of course the wheel hub is uptown)

Last edited by ex-burgher; 10-30-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM

182 posts, read 482,943 times
Yes, I will make sure I invest in a good one. I want to find a voice activated GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I guess this is where the traffic is going to be coming from when I-485 is complete, which is soon. You should consider a GPS you can get decent one for $80 bucks then no worries about street names.

Why Steele Creek, when there is decent areas in University City, Mallard Creek, Harrisburg, Concord or Huntersville.
Then you will save on time and gas.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Yes, I've been to Miami many times. I live 45m from there. I guess since I do not have to drive in that traffic everyday I don't worry about it. I still have 6.5 months before I have to make a decision on were we want to move. SOme on the neighborhoods in Steele Creek appealed to us, they seemed family oriented. I fellow poster is a realtor, so I can work with her to help me find similar neighborhoods closer to the college area.

I will be working from home for a while, but when I finish school I will be looking for employment near my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you been to Miami, it's nowhere as bad as traffic is in Miami all the time. I too am surprised you picked Steele creek, is your husband working there? It's not a convenient place to commute from to some major areas including as you now know, the university area.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Thank you, maybe your info will convince him. When we go up again in the spring, I will probably drive during rush hour traffic to gauge the traffic. But I do like Mallards Creek too. I didn't go there when I was up a few weeks ago, but we did drive in the area by accident back in May. I just want a safe neighborhood that in family oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Your husband chose Steele Creek probably for a reason, and hopefully you two can work on a compromise.
We seem to be focus on you going to school, but not where he will be working or you if you are.

Nothing wrong with Steele Creek and sounds like your going to school at night, just from what we know were not sure its the best option.
If your husband a weekly flyer then most definitely Steele Creek.

If that is the case leaving for class between 5pm to 7pm will be a nightmare as there no way to avoid I-85/I-77 bottle neck. If there a wreck that always occur somewhere when it rains.
Just maybe they will finish I-485 loop then you can avoid the traffic and whip around to UNCC.

The areas I listed surround UNCC from closest to furthest but furthest is still alot closer than Steele Creek.

IMO I really think if you focus in Mallard Creek Rd and Prosperity Church Road area you will at the back door to UNCC.
Parts of Concord Im thinking of are also at the backdoor as they lie along the border.
Look into Pitt School Road area or one of the many developments off Poplar Tent Road.
Harrisburg and Huntersville I just threw out there but are on the bottom of the list.

Whereever you decide, your always welcome on this forum for recommendations and maybe ask road short cuts if there is any.

Click on Satelite view to get an idea on what is nearby to UNCC https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CKcBEPwS

Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,881,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
Yes, I've been to Miami many times. I live 45m from there. I guess since I do not have to drive in that traffic everyday I don't worry about it. I still have 6.5 months before I have to make a decision on were we want to move. SOme on the neighborhoods in Steele Creek appealed to us, they seemed family oriented. I fellow poster is a realtor, so I can work with her to help me find similar neighborhoods closer to the college area.

I will be working from home for a while, but when I finish school I will be looking for employment near my house.
Ooh sorry, I thought you lived in West Palm. Good luck on your move!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM

I love this. This helps me visualize the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I see Charlotte as a Bicycle wheel - 485 is the wheel and the spokes (in South Charlotte) are Independence, Monroe, Randolph/Sardis (crooked spoke!), Providence, Carmel (partial), Sharon/Quail Hollow, Park, and South Blvd. The other main roads like 51 and Fairview are cross streets.
(and of course the wheel hub is uptown)

Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Yes, I do live in Boynton Beach, but I don't really run into bad traffic. Miami is like a different country, so I try to stay away from venturing into Miami. I HOPE Charlotte's traffic is nothing like Miami's traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Ooh sorry, I thought you lived in West Palm. Good luck on your move!

Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM

5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
The many times I've visited, and I never really sat in traffic for long periods of time (maybe since I was on vacation I didn't notice), except when I rode on I-85 to go to Raleigh during rush hour. The traffic was really slow near the construction zone @ 85 & 485.

Since I will be working from home when I move there, I do not have to worry about the commute back and forth to work, but I will have to travel to University City to go to classes at the college. If I move to Steele Creek is the commute to UNCC unrealistic to drive during rush hour?
I'm surprised so many people seem terrified of this commute. From a traffic perspective, this commute isn't bad IMO. The easiest way would probably be to take 49 or 160 to 485, and then 485 to 85. The worst traffic on 85 is after WT Harris, which is where you'd probably get off (either that or one exit earlier). So really the only spot that would have traffic would be the last mile or two going from 85 to school.

But of course, that's still almost 30 miles so you're still probably looking at 35-40 minutes. I'd say with allowing time to park and stuff you'd need probably around an hour. How many days a week will you be taking classes?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM

You know GoPhils, I will stop stressing about it, because I cannot change the traffic. I will just try to move as close to the college as possible. That is what I want anyway. My husband is the one that fell in LOOOOOOVEEE with Steele Creek. I will probably be at the college 2 nights a week, for 1-2 semesters. One I move there, I can find what is the best route for me. Years ago I let comments from this board scare me from moving, I will not allow that to happen this time. I will cross that bridge when I move there, but I will take SunnyKayak's advice in moving closer to that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm surprised so many people seem terrified of this commute. From a traffic perspective, this commute isn't bad IMO. The easiest way would probably be to take 49 or 160 to 485, and then 485 to 85. The worst traffic on 85 is after WT Harris, which is where you'd probably get off (either that or one exit earlier). So really the only spot that would have traffic would be the last mile or two going from 85 to school.

But of course, that's still almost 30 miles so you're still probably looking at 35-40 minutes. I'd say with allowing time to park and stuff you'd need probably around an hour. How many days a week will you be taking classes?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:01 PM

5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
You know GoPhils, I will stop stressing about it, because I cannot change the traffic. I will just try to move as close to the college as possible. That is what I want anyway. My husband is the one that fell in LOOOOOOVEEE with Steele Creek. I will probably be at the college 2 nights a week, for 1-2 semesters. One I move there, I can find what is the best route for me. Years ago I let comments from this board scare me from moving, I will not allow that to happen this time. I will cross that bridge when I move there, but I will take SunnyKayak's advice in moving closer to that area.
2 nights a week for 1-2 semesters isn't bad at all and as I mentioned I don't think it's that bad of a commute to begin with, if your husband really "loooooovees" Steele Creek that much I wouldn't rule it out just because of the distance to UNCC. But yeah you probably can find something you also like that's closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte