Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM

182 posts, read 554,353 times

Advertisements

I was telling a co-worker about my upcoming move to Charlotte; she immediately asked me if I knew how bad the traffic was in Charlotte. I have never heard that from anyone who ACTUALLY lives in Charlotte. But I keep hearing horror stories of how you have to drive at your own risk.

The many times I've visited, and I never really sat in traffic for long periods of time (maybe since I was on vacation I didn't notice), except when I rode on I-85 to go to Raleigh during rush hour. The traffic was really slow near the construction zone @ 85 & 485.

Since I will be working from home when I move there, I do not have to worry about the commute back and forth to work, but I will have to travel to University City to go to classes at the college. If I move to Steele Creek is the commute to UNCC unrealistic to drive during rush hour?

I just need a little feedback, because I am trying to gauge what part of the county I need to live so I can get to school at night without needing 2 extra hours of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
If I move to Steele Creek is the commute to UNCC unrealistic to drive during rush hour?
I would not like that commute. You either have to wind your way through the spiderweb of surface streets, or get up very early to beat the traffic on 485 and drive around Charlotte. Forget driving "through" uptown.

Charlotte's traffic is not bad by major metro standards, but you don't get anywhere quickly during rush hour.

Although this entire calculus will change in several years, when LYNX has been extended to UNCC. Then you could drive to a rail station in south Charlotte and take LYNX all the way.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM

Ok, the major roads, I am now familiar with "sort of", but the surface streets are a nightmare to me, because the streets are poorly labeled to a visitor. Here in South Florida, the street signs are bright green, and visible before getting to your turn (And I also know the area). If I didn't have a GPS telling me where to go in Charlotte, I probably will still be lost, LOL.

So I guess I need to move closer to UNCC without actually moving NEAR UNCC. I’m glad I only have to worry about the afternoon traffic for a while. Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I would not like that commute. You either have to wind your way through the spiderweb of surface streets, or get up very early to beat the traffic on 485 and drive around Charlotte. Forget driving "through" uptown.

Charlotte's traffic is not bad by major metro standards, but you don't get anywhere quickly during rush hour.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
Charlotte *IS* hard to learn to navigate and you're not the first to make that observation. That is one thing Greensboro does well versus Charlotte and Raleigh. Street signs are in large fonts, and suspended from the overhead wires with the traffic signals.

If you want to have some fun, go on Google Maps and see if you can locate these 3 road intersections in Charlotte...

Queens and Queens
Colony and Colony
Painted Tree and Painted Tree

Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 PM

314 posts, read 676,030 times
I guess it depends where you are from...being from the Boston area, I think finding my way around here is a piece of cake!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I guess this is where the traffic is going to be coming from when I-485 is complete, which is soon. You should consider a GPS you can get decent one for $80 bucks then no worries about street names.

Why Steele Creek, when there is decent areas in University City, Mallard Creek, Harrisburg, Concord or Huntersville.
Then you will save on time and gas.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
The 485 squeeze as well as I77 at Exit 2x are bad. I remember coming back from LA and thinking 3am traffic in Charlotte was worse because I was being tailgated while behind a bus on Sharon Road W. Not much I can do there mister. At least in LA they have numbers for lanes and things like that. Mostly if someone is blocking you there are 100 other lanes to choose and people do. Here you might as well slapped someone with a glove and got out dueling pistols. I'm going to DC next week and I'll get a taste that will remind me what bad traffic actually is. It's all relative.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM

43 posts, read 96,835 times
I lived briefly in Steele Creek and had to commute to an area just south of the airport (Douglas -- CLT) via surface streets, and that was bad enough. I can't imagine having to get to UNCC from that area. Listen to SunnyKayak's advice.

That said, the traffic in Charlotte isn't nearly the nightmare that it is in Westchester and the other 'burbs around NYC, or Washington/Baltimore (i.e. I-495 beltway). I once lived in Ft. Lauderdale, but many years ago, and the commute from there to Miami was worse than what I've experienced in Charlotte.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM

I have a few of my coworkers are from Boston, so I've heard the traffic horror stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
I guess it depends where you are from...being from the Boston area, I think finding my way around here is a piece of cake!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Steele Creek to University City around rush hour would be a nightmare. Not only do you have to come through Uptown but the worst part is going to be trying to get from Uptown to University. There are only 2 routes I-85 and N Tryon and you will be sitting in stop and go traffic on both once you get past Sugar Creek Rd. I would not do that commute. Then once you finally do get on campus, the traffic there is terribly slow moving around those times as well so it might take you a while to park. You would probably have to leave almost an hour and a half before your classes in order to make it on time. I would just move closer to UNCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte