U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:19 PM

645 posts, read 755,713 times

Advertisements

Actually, the healthcare I get here in Charlotte is better than the other two states I lived in before. It just takes a really bad experience to turn you off a hospital. If I have to go to an ER again, it'll be CMC. It's not true that they won't allow payment plans. I went for a follow-up procedure at a CMC clinic, and they gave me terms.

But this city REALLY needs more competition in the medical industry. A two-hospital system is hard on the wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 AM

397 posts, read 579,173 times
Hi, I'm not sure what happened in your particular case but I must tell you that a 5 hour wait in the ER is pretty common (at ANY hospital). Emergency rooms work on a triage system. "Pain" isn't at the top of the triage ladder if there are others who aren't breathing, having chest pain, etc. And if you got dressed and left, I highly doubt that it was an emergent matter! Obviously any employee "yelling" isn't really appropriate but I'm sure that person has a nurse manager that he/she reports to. I highly doubt the CEO of the company will directly address your complaints of not getting pain medicine fast enough and having a nurse yell at you. That's a matter to address with the NURSE MANAGER of the emergency department. As for the MRI you had, of course an MD or other practitioner had to order that. Hospitals work under standing MD orders and based on presentation, there are "standing orders" for tests/meds/etc (especially in an ER) that you can receive without ever having "seen" a doctor. So in all honesty, I don't see that you really have much to complain about (except for maybe an ill-tempered employee). Good luck.

Last edited by waxhawmom75; 11-09-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-10-2013, 02:03 PM

645 posts, read 755,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Hi, I'm not sure what happened in your particular case but I must tell you that a 5 hour wait in the ER is pretty common (at ANY hospital). Emergency rooms work on a triage system. "Pain" isn't at the top of the triage ladder if there are others who aren't breathing, having chest pain, etc. And if you got dressed and left, I highly doubt that it was an emergent matter! Obviously any employee "yelling" isn't really appropriate but I'm sure that person has a nurse manager that he/she reports to. I highly doubt the CEO of the company will directly address your complaints of not getting pain medicine fast enough and having a nurse yell at you. That's a matter to address with the NURSE MANAGER of the emergency department. As for the MRI you had, of course an MD or other practitioner had to order that. Hospitals work under standing MD orders and based on presentation, there are "standing orders" for tests/meds/etc (especially in an ER) that you can receive without ever having "seen" a doctor. So in all honesty, I don't see that you really have much to complain about (except for maybe an ill-tempered employee). Good luck.
You're right. I got nothin to complain about. I'll bet your buttons that if you went through what I went through, you'd be screaming.

I got dressed so that I could seek medical help.

You would have to read the messed up, conflicting nurse reports to really see what a mess it really was. Apparently, I can't repeat anything that the nursing board's lawyer said in its letter (I can't even copy and paste. It was sent with an adobe program that prevents copying), but if you could read it, you'd know that the nursing board knows that something was wrong that day.

As far as any standing orders and all that, there's a time stamp on my entry and a signature of the doctor who supposedly examined me and listened to my heart. Wasn't no examination. Guarantee it. I know it, and the hospital knows it.

Let's close this thread down because I have reason to get hot, and I'm sure that there are professionals in the conver who are talking from a disadvantage point because they don't know everything (and can't know much more about it because i could get sued-- aint that something). So thanks everyboddy. I appreciate all viewpoints, and maybe I got a better understanding of how the medical profession works and things.

LarryB

PS I hope one of those turkeys need a plumber FAST and I get the call. Have I got standing orders for them! You got a leak? Let's see how big it gets. Oh. Water's up to your knees? Cant do nothing until it's up to your appendix. Haha. Gotcha.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
It's likely that you got an opinion about everything.

I'm in no way saying that what you said wasn't offensive.
Sorry if the truth hurts.

I can speak from experience, as someone who has functioned as a nurse in the Emergency Department. A substantial percentage of the population that comes to the emergency room does so with the intent of seeking narcotics. It is not at all uncommon for patients to report "allergies" to multiple non-narcotic analgesics, and that only "percocet" or "oxycontin" work. I'm sorry if your limited familiarity with hospitals in general, and EDs in particular lead you to believe that an accusation is being leveled at you. In the 5 years I've been frequenting this board, I've never seen Ani post something negative about someone. She was making an (educated) observation; there was really no reason to get butt-hurt over it.

As to the rest of your story, I am going to withhold my opinion because, frankly, I have no desire to spend all of that time refuting the many inaccuracies you've posted.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
You can contact the North Carolina BON (board of nursing) regarding the nurse, but you will need the name.

From their site

If you believe that a nursesí performance is incompetent, negligent or unsafe, you have a right and responsibility to file a complaint with the Board.

When to Report | North Carolina Board of Nursing

Also here
Complaints about a doctor, hospital, or provider | Medicare.gov

http://www.jointcommission.org/report_a_complaint.aspx

The joint commission certifies hospitals to provide certain services.

I hope you do complain. Too many nurses here who are in it for the money and don't have an ounce of compassion (or maybe it's just "bad manners" to show any- but I doubt it). I will take UK NHS staff over any of those I've met in healthcare here-doctors, nurses etc alike.

Old expression: you reap what you sow. If the health care is so much better in the UK, I invite you to haul yourself right back over. Send me your email, and I'll Paypal you $100 to get you started!

Old 11-10-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Good for you- but bet that nurse is still practicing.
Sorry I didn't see this before I started posting. I was just so irate that these things seem to happen.
I used to think I was ashamed to say I was a RN in England, but I'm quite glad that I never got the chance to practice here. I think I would have found it very frustrating.
Consider it a unanimous sentiment.

Oh, and for the record, "attitude" isn't covered by the BON; that's an employer's responsibility. "Bad attitude" isn't malpractice.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
You're right. I got nothin to complain about. I'll bet your buttons that if you went through what I went through, you'd be screaming.

I got dressed so that I could seek medical help.

You would have to read the messed up, conflicting nurse reports to really see what a mess it really was. Apparently, I can't repeat anything that the nursing board's lawyer said in its letter (I can't even copy and paste. It was sent with an adobe program that prevents copying), but if you could read it, you'd know that the nursing board knows that something was wrong that day.

As far as any standing orders and all that, there's a time stamp on my entry and a signature of the doctor who supposedly examined me and listened to my heart. Wasn't no examination. Guarantee it. I know it, and the hospital knows it.

Let's close this thread down because I have reason to get hot, and I'm sure that there are professionals in the conver who are talking from a disadvantage point because they don't know everything (and can't know much more about it because i could get sued-- aint that something). So thanks everyboddy. I appreciate all viewpoints, and maybe I got a better understanding of how the medical profession works and things.

LarryB

PS I hope one of those turkeys need a plumber FAST and I get the call. Have I got standing orders for them! You got a leak? Let's see how big it gets. Oh. Water's up to your knees? Cant do nothing until it's up to your appendix. Haha. Gotcha.

Why does this not surprise me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte