Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:01 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes, new and resale in Charlotte, and I really like the look of hardwood floors. I have no experience with them. I know I asked before about the humidity in Charlotte and the effects on hardwood floors. So many homes have them that it's obviously not an issue.

My question is concerning maintenance. I've done some searches on the internet and find a lot of conflicting info. Is maintaining these floors a major project? Do you have to do any special treatments that need to be done at certain intervals? It seems like it would last longer than carpet, although we don't wear shoes in the house, so carpet doesn't wear as fast. In looking at various listings, many homes have hardwood floors in the entry and family rooms and carpet in the bedrooms.

I've searched these forums and found everything from installing hardwood on slabs vs crawlspaces to hardwood vs. laminate. But I couldn't find anything on maintenance.

Can anyone shed light on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
I've never done anything more than sweep, mop and steam mop our hardwood floors and they look and feel just fine.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Depends on the type/brand/quality of the flooring AND the installation.

For the most part, they just need to be cleaned. If they get really scratched up and worn, you can refinish them.

But, buyer beware. Some builders claim to have installed hardwood flooring, when it's actually a laminate and el cheapo laminate at that. I've seen some of these floors look like crap within three years. And, most laminate flooring needs to be replaced, as it cannot be refinished.

I prefer a quality laminate flooring, over hardwood flooring, because I have dogs. I've had my current laminate floor, with two dogs, for four years and not a single scratch in the flooring.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Thanks for the replies. I've read simply clean them and also read they needed to be stripped and waxed once a year. Don't let direct sun on them for extended periods, etc, etc.

I've heard dogs can scratch them up and that makes sense. It's something to keep in mind.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
A friend who is knowledgeable on everything tells me that the guy who put his hardwoods in said to treat them like it's fine furniture. My buddy flips out if anything is dropped or spilled on them. His wife vacuums and mops them constantly. Based on those two it's far more trouble than it's worth.

OTOH many people I know who have actual hardwoods do little to theirs, and they look fine.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've read simply clean them and also read they needed to be stripped and waxed once a year. Don't let direct sun on them for extended periods, etc, etc.

I've heard dogs can scratch them up and that makes sense. It's something to keep in mind.

I've always had oak hardwood flooring in my previous homes and NEVER stripped and waxed them, let alone once a year. I suppose if you had OCD, you would be inclined to. But I think that's unnecessary. Every five or six years, maybe.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 PM

As for mopping. You're not suppose to mop wood floors. Just dust them with a microfiber towel and pledge floor cleaner or something similar.
People rave about stuff called Bona floor cleaner. IMO, it's overpriced for an okay job.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
As for mopping. You're not suppose to mop wood floors. Just dust them with a microfiber towel and pledge floor cleaner or something similar.
People rave about stuff called Bona floor cleaner. IMO, it's overpriced for an okay job.
That's what I meant when I said mop, not literally with a bucket of water and soap. I should have been more clear. Use a floor cleaner with a mop. However, since we got the steam mop I'd just prefer to use that and not worry about the other parts other than sweeping/vacuuming.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:45 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
there is a difference between manufactured pre finished wood floors, which I would guess more people have, and the wood that is finished on site. Pre finished floors do not get stripped and waxed as regular maintenance. there is not enough wood grain to be able to do that.

It is not a major maintenance issue, really should be very easy (unless you use the wrong stuff). Just dust mopping regularly, and using one of those spray and mop systems when needed, with either Bona, or I use a vinegar/water mixture.

If you clip your pets nails regularly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 AM

407 posts, read 851,836 times
In our previous home we had solid red oak floors. They quickly became scratched and marred with our 90 lb dog running and playing on them. Now we have bamboo with the same dog and not a scratch. We just damp mop or "steam" the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte