U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times

Advertisements

The president of Charlotte-based Family Dollar will appear on the CBS show "Undercover Boss" this Friday.

Quote:
The reality show puts high-level executives in disguise so they can work alongside ordinary employees at their companies and see what it's like.
Yeah ok, the show has been on for this long and no one knows a guy being followed by a film crew isnt the big boss.
Family Dollar executive to make appearance on "Undercover Boss"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,136,361 times
I like this show just because I like to see some "behind the scenes" type stuff. The employee stuff is pretty contrived, to be sure. The best part of the show is the end where they give out the money. It's interesting (to me) to see who gets the most amount of dough. One of the bosses who was the biggest D-Bag gave out the most amount of money by far. He is the head of some resort chain, don't remember the name.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,243,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I like this show just because I like to see some "behind the scenes" type stuff. The employee stuff is pretty contrived, to be sure. The best part of the show is the end where they give out the money. It's interesting (to me) to see who gets the most amount of dough. One of the bosses who was the biggest D-Bag gave out the most amount of money by far. He is the head of some resort chain, don't remember the name.
We watch this show occasionally. It's good because it generally shows my kids how some people act in the business place and how they may want to act and have people treat them.

What we think is little unfair is the employees picked get money and perks/promotions but others in the company who work just as hard don't get anything, but that's life.

It will be interesting in the case of Family Dollar as I've heard working in the store is rough with a bare minimum amount of employees in the retail stores. I wonder if that will come up?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,877,368 times
This could potentially be an embarrassment for a Charlotte company, but I'm sure there are many great people working for Family Dollar, and will receive great things.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,458,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
This could potentially be an embarrassment for a Charlotte company, but I'm sure there are many great people working for Family Dollar, and will receive great things.
These are usually nothing more than 60-minute edited commercials - there will be no opportunity for embarrassment. The show is a bit of an ego trip for these CEOs.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
These are usually nothing more than 60-minute edited commercials - there will be no opportunity for embarrassment. The show is a bit of an ego trip for these CEOs.
I don't know that I agree, having seen quite a few of these. Yes, they are highly edited and anything that gets your name out there is an advertisement but there have been plenty of times where things were shown that didn't shed the company in the best light.

I'm fairly certain that the 7/11 CEO didn't want it shown that employees were throwing out dozens of donuts at the end of the evening rather than donating them to a food bank. Of course, at the end of the show any problems shown are promised to be fixed and that is probably a load of bull.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,654,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

I remember that guy, he really loved himself.

I also remember the Sports Authority episode being very generous.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggzdgv View Post
This could potentially be an embarrassment for a Charlotte company
Their HQ is in Matthews.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

174 posts, read 428,295 times
Unhappy why would a company do this?

I don't know about you, but I feel that there is something peculiarly unsavory about the "game show" aspect of this program. I don't think that it makes a company "look good," in fact I question a company's wisdom in even taking part in a show like this. This is worth mentioning here, in this thread, only because the company featured last night is a local company, with local roots. (In fact, I thought the same thing when I saw the episode featuring the then-CEO of Chiquita, just after their move to Charlotte.)

It starts off unsavory; showing the corporate guy's palatial estate, his beautiful home, and stating right off that Family Dollar brings in however many billions (with a B) of dollars in profit every year. It suddenly becomes obvious that there's a huge gap between the people who work in Family Dollar and the people who run Family Dollar at the corporate level. This is true with every company, I'm sure. I'm not singling out Family Dollar. I'm just pointing out something that I find questionable about this show.

By the time the show is over, and the four sanitized, specially-picked and highlighted Family Dollar employees have been given their prizes, it begs the question of why a company like this, which accumulates billions (with a B) of dollars in profit every year, can't just give every employee throughout the company a $5000 raise that year, a bonus in acknowledgment of the stresses of store-level work.

(50,000 employees, $5000 each, 250 million dollars? Seem high? Ok, how about $2000 each? Either way, it's barely a skinned-knee money-wise for a company with billions in profit. And observe the employee loyalty that is engendered with the paltry gifts awarded at the end of this show! These employees get tidbits, pocket change, useless vacation travel, a car -- what is this, "The Price is Right"? -- from this corporate guy... and they are overjoyed, weeping! Imagine if everyone who worked for this company got a tiny bit, a tiny boost, a couple thousand dollars each, which the company could easily spare. Imagine the kind of overall employee loyalty that would build!)

I don't know about you, this is just my opinion, but it seems slightly offensive that the hard-working conveyor belt operator with eight kids and a broken-down car invites super rich corporate overlord to his little house. I mean, when does the corporate overlord invite the hard-working conveyor belt operator to his house? You know, to enjoy his pool some sunny summer day, or for a romantic weekend getaway for the conveyor belt operator and his wife in the corporate overlord's spacious guest house out back? And what does the hard-working conveyor belt operator with 10 years of dedicated work get? A vacation and a new car. ("Come on down!")

Plus, it's always interesting that it takes a jerry-rigged visit from a disconnected corporate overseer to a local store to discover that the cash register setup is a little bit awkward, and not as customer friendly (or cashier friendly) as it should be. (And nothing was done about solving this seemingly very important dilemma in the show. The show was much more concerned with giving out prizes.) Wouldn't a corporation as far-reaching and large as Family Dollar have someone who specializes in cash-wrap layout and check-out efficiency? Have they never been in a Wal-Mart to see how it's done? I just find it strange that real, bedrock corporate efficiency issues illuminated in the course of the show are ignored in favor of awarding paltry prizes to some non-offensive, pre-picked employees. (Of course they are deserving. It's just strange that the show makes a spectacle of the specially-picked employees, gives some prizes, but ignores larger issues that might affect a corporation in other ways, affecting profit or employee retention or customer service.)

I think it's this last point that, for me, sort of proves that the show is not about "what the boss discovers about corporate efficiency or business processes while undercover"; that instead, it's basically a "Dr Phil" type expose show and game show rolled into the guise of a business-oriented reality show. Which I think is a shame, a missed opportunity. The juxtaposition of the very rich corporate guy giving out paltry prizes for sad stories from his working-class employees really, in my view, makes the company look awful, condescending, patronizing. And I'm sure that Family Dollar does not wish to be seen in this kind of light!

Imagine if, instead of this game show, the corporate guy actually learned something about both his employees and his end-user processes, and went back to the corporate office and made serious changes! Change the design of the cash-wrap! Increase the efficiency of the shipping nodes! Increase working hours for part-timers, provide better benefits, give everyone a small raise!

In the end, I hope the corporate guy really did learn something from visiting stores and meeting his employees. I only wish the show was less of a "game show" and more of a real "reality show."

MC

Old 11-09-2013, 11:12 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,926,182 times
I watched it too and it didn't show anything in Charlotte other than a brief mention in the beginning. But it was an interesting one, that last employee, the lady manager that was a single mom? Loved loved loved her "prizes". It wasn't anything piddly but a life changer for her. And I do agree that a company should spread the wealth a bit BUT in end, it's a company's board prerogative to do what they want with their profit. And it's a customer's choice of where they want their dollars to go. I doubt anything will happen after the show since the costs of changing ALL the store's register areas or buying a better inventory ordering software etc would be too costly. Instead "corporate" hopes that the free publicity got them more shoppers. It was quite an advertisement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or