U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 PM

182 posts, read 482,570 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what the average price for auto insurance is for a person in their 40's without any derogatory driving issues? I drive a nissan sedan, so I don't need to insure a BMW *yet*. I live in south Florida now, and the rates are terribly high (due to the high # of uninsured motorist here, well that is what they are trying to tell us, LOL). They went even higher once my 20 year old bought a car and I added her onto my insurance.

I heard the rates in the Carolinas are usually lower than south Florida. I pay $400 per month now including my 20 yr old daughter. Hopefully lower auto insurance is one thing that I can look at as a "pro", because paying state taxes and personal property taxes are definitely a "con". Although I still think the cost of living will be better in NC (I hope )

Last edited by DiamondGirl; 11-06-2013 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM

924 posts, read 1,854,323 times
When we moved here from central Florida our rates were half of what the were in Florida.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 PM

182 posts, read 482,570 times
Yes! Great. Did you have a hard time adjusting to the state & personal property taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
When we moved here from central Florida our rates were half of what the were in Florida.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
Can someone tell me what the average price for auto insurance is for a person in their 40's without any derogatory driving issues? I drive a nissan sedan, so I don't need to insure a BMW *yet*. I live in south Florida now, and the rates are terribly high (due to the high # of uninsured motorist here, well that is what they are trying to tell us, LOL). They went even higher once my 20 year old bought a car and I added her onto my insurance.

I heard the rates in the Carolinas are usually lower than south Florida. I pay $400 per month now including my 20 yr old daughter. Hopefully lower auto insurance is one thing that I can look at as a "pro", because paying state taxes and personal property taxes are definitely a "con". Although I still think the cost of living will be better in NC (I hope )

Wowser, she old enough to pay for her own policy. That what killing it for you, is her inexperience.

Im around same as you. I pay $600 a year full coverage on 98 Ranger.

Tip, it is cheaper to go to sign up with an agent that signing up online.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,687,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Wowser, she old enough to pay for her own policy. That what killing it for you, is her inexperience.

Im around same as you. I pay $600 a year full coverage on 98 Ranger.

Tip, it is cheaper to go to sign up with an agent that signing up online.

The OP said they paid $400 per month-not per year.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Right, and the OP is wanting to know what the average rate is in NC, I doubt her policy is a one month policy so she pays $4800 a year. Since most insurance is set up for renewal either 6 month or yearly.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,868,299 times
Underaged drivers (under 21) will get you here too in NC. My teenaged siblings pay about $300 each monthly for full coverage for their cars. My one sibling had to pay close to $400 monthly when he had a fender bender that wasn't his fault. But after a year of no accidents he went back down to $300. He is counting the days till he is 21 for more than one reason.

But coverage for adults with no accidents, like others here, it's cheaper than FL. My coverage went down almost half when I moved here from Orlando area.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,687,425 times
Quote:
Right, and the OP is wanting to know what the average rate is in NC, I doubt her policy is a one month policy so she pays $4800 a year. Since most insurance is set up for renewal either 6 month or yearly.
You said "Im around same as you. I pay $600 a year full coverage on 98 Ranger"
How is that the same as $4800 a year?
That was my point.
Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Its called math, since you want to debate monthly cost so I added what she paying per year which would be $4800.
I pay $600 per year, Im sure OP can do math what that would be monthly but since it troubling you divie it by 12.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM

277 posts, read 580,033 times
Quote:
...Tip, it is cheaper to go to sign up with an agent that signing up online.
Not sure about that. My experience was very different.

I used a "full service" broker initially, and after 3 years decided to get a an online quote from the company with the lizard spokesperson. Rates were significantly lower for the same coverage, even after factoring in the bundle discount for my homeowners insurance.

My broker admitted that he couldn't compete with the gecko. Pays to shop around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte