U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:48 AM

174 posts, read 427,204 times

Advertisements

Mommy Mantis, who has been hanging around bloated and pregnant for the last month, finally (just last night, apparently) deposited a wad of eggs in a low-to-the-ground Yucca plant outside our dining room window. Now that colder weather is upon us, I have some questions for any Praying Mantis experts on city-data.
  • Is it too cold now for these eggs to survive?
  • If so, is there something I can do to better ensure their survival?
  • How long does it take for them to hatch? (Will they hatch in a month, for Christmas, or next spring when it warms up?)
  • Will Mommy die now, or leave the scene? (She appears to be hanging around, recouperating post-partum.)
  • The egg clutch is only about 6" off the ground in the middle of a Yucca plant, whose stalks are like long razors, but is the clutch safe from small rodents (chipmonks, squirrels) who may eat it? (Can I protect it?)
This large Mommy Mantis might be a survivor from a clutch of tiny mantis babies I found back in the spring and corralled into our garden areas. If so, is she "territorial," and will her babies (the ones that survive and don't get eaten by their sisters, I mean) stick around next season? We would like that.

(Hope you can see my attached pictures. I'm not good at attaching pictures.)

Any info or suggestions is appreciated!

Thanks!

MC

SEO: mantis mantids preying babies hatchlings eggs nest insects bugs aliens mother big baby larva pupa puppa adult charlotte cold winter north carolina piedmont life cycle care garden growing plants trees vegetable box raised back yard shrubs grub november december
Attached Thumbnails
autumn praying mantis questions-mantis-mommy-5-egg-case.jpg   autumn praying mantis questions-mantis-mommy-3-egg-case.jpg   autumn praying mantis questions-mantis-mommy-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
That's very cool! I wish I had more of them in my yard.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM

624 posts, read 1,888,670 times
I'm by no means any sort of expert but thought this topic was interesting so started poking around Google and came across this site: PRAYING MANTIS FACT SHEET & Release Instructions

Quote:
Each praying mantis egg case will hatch about 100-200 tiny mantises, all at once. In order to hatch they'll need several weeks of warm weather, so they can "sense" that summer (and pest insects for food) has arrived. Attach the egg cases to a twig or plant about a foot or two off the ground where there's cover to protect the babies.
I think these eggs would be in trouble from the cold weather...still Googling and I defer to anyone with more knowledge or a better site.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
I adore mantis. We had one that would "battle" with my kid as they gently sparred with a tiny pine needles. lol And one that loved to hang out for some reason on my husband's pant leg as he sat on the back porch. I love this thread and thank you for taking the time to care! I wish I could offer information. Didn't we have a bug guy on here?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM

469 posts, read 875,699 times
Default Natural selection

Allowing these eggs to hatch would simply perpetuate mantids who lay eggs at this time of year.
Leave the eggs alone and let nature decide.

On the other claw, you can bring it indoors and raise the babies yourself until next spring, at which time you can release the lone survivor into the wild. (Yes, I hatched mantids once - Those babies are vicious!)

Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 PM

174 posts, read 427,204 times
Thumbs up chinese mantis

Hey ok! Some info: It's a CHINESE Mantis, officially. (That's what it's called. I can't actually make out whether it's speaking Chinese or some other asian dialect.) Common to the southeastern states. The egg clutch will survive the winter, but the mommy probably won't. She lays eggs and dies. (She's been eating grasshoppers and stuff out of my hand, so I'll quit encouraging her.) In the spring, hundreds of teeny mantids (plural of "mantises"?) will squeeze out of the clutch like the "chestburster" in ALIEN (saw video of this mass birth on youtube) and go on a rampage, eating each other and everything in sight. I'll keep an eye on it over the winter and make sure it stays safe. Maybe I'll update this thread with pictures if I can catch them hatching. Hooray for mantids!

MC
Attached Thumbnails
autumn praying mantis questions-mantis-mommy-2.jpg  

Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,934,696 times
I can't stop thinking about the father. At least he died with a smile on his face!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,566,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I can't stop thinking about the father. At least he died with a smile on his face!

Female praying mantis eats male after mating - YouTube

Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I had this date once...

I seem to recall reading that if the mantids are separated at birth, as in moved around the yard, the survival rate is much higher. It would take some great timing on OP's part, obviously.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,745,903 times
How ironic. As I was coming up the stairs a few days ago I snapped this photo of one on the outside wall. Probably the first one I'd seen in years. It was still in the same general area for the next 2 days.
Attached Thumbnails
autumn praying mantis questions-praying-mantis.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte