Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times

Advertisements

My kid came home from school yesterday talking about a place and North Carolina called Boogertown. I couldn't believe it, so I looked it up. Mapquest shows it near Gastonia. Is this an Urban Legend that somehow got picked up by MapQuest? An associate who lives in Gastonia never heard of it.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Somebody fill me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
I had thought is was because long ago, the word booger was connotated more with ghosts. You know, the "boogie man".

After Googling around, I came across this post elsewhere on the WebTubes by "1st4x4" who has Gastonia in his profile.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/395565-questions-misconceptions-about-gastonia-north-carolina-2.html

Quote:
Boogertown was named for a man named Booger (Last name, people who live their say <Buea-ger>). A Black man killed Mr. Booger (After 4 other unsolved murders in a month) a vigilante was formed and they were chasing him across Booger Mountain. Cops were cicrcling the roads at the base of the mountain. They wanted to catch him to send him to trial while the vigilante was going to hang him.
Named in honor of the deceased

Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Boogertown was named for a man named Booger (Last name, people who live their say <Buea-ger>).
A Black man killed Mr. Booger (After 4 other unsolved murders in a month) a vigilante was formed and they were chasing him across Booger Mountain.
Cops were circling the roads at the base of the mountain.
They wanted to catch him to send him to trial while the vigilante was going to hang him.
Named in honor of the deceased.

This was also featured on the Daily Show. Oh, To Live on Booger Mountain - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 04/01/99 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
Here's another rumor where the name came from, that was quoted in the Gaston Gazette in 1969:

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/4344476/

Quote:
One of the local "boogers" from that neck of the woods tells us that in years past several "stills" were In operation in the mountain vicinity of what is now the Robinson School area. The story goes that a barroom across the road from the school was frequented by a neighborhood husband. His wife, being completely disgusted with the "goings-on" at the barroom, began referring to the patrons as a bunch of "boogers". The nickname was picked up by the local citizenry, hence the name 'Boogertown"

Old 11-09-2013, 10:22 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
My kid came home from school yesterday talking about a place and North Carolina called Boogertown. I couldn't believe it, so I looked it up. Mapquest shows it near Gastonia. Is this an Urban Legend that somehow got picked up by MapQuest? An associate who lives in Gastonia never heard of it.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Somebody fill me in.
There was an article about a restaurant in Boogertown in the Gaston Gazette a while ago. Sorry, but I can't post it because the company that owns the Gaston Gazette & the Shelby Star decided that it was a good idea to slap a limit on use of the websites.

I think that it's an unincorporated town in south Gaston County.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Down here, if you make fun of Boogertown, they will knock the snot out of you!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
I hafta go see for myself. Thanks, all.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
I hafta go see for myself. Thanks, all.
Make a day of it. You won't be far from Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens & the Schiele Museum.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,713 times
I am from Boogertown. Not sure about these other locations but "my boogertown is a black neighborhood in Belmont NC . It runs the length of Lincoln St Down Sacco, Cedar, Todd, Elm , Clay Street, and Woodrow ave. It stops approximately 100 meters down Woodrow Ave where the "White" neighborhoods starts. This neigherhood was the nucleus for students going Reid High School. Other "Black Neighborhoods" included Rankin Heights, Morning Glory(smoky hollow) catawba heights and of course "Forneyville"

Old 07-20-2017, 04:55 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenscapturedmoments View Post
I am from Boogertown. Not sure about these other locations but "my boogertown is a black neighborhood in Belmont NC . It runs the length of Lincoln St Down Sacco, Cedar, Todd, Elm , Clay Street, and Woodrow ave. It stops approximately 100 meters down Woodrow Ave where the "White" neighborhoods starts. This neigherhood was the nucleus for students going Reid High School. Other "Black Neighborhoods" included Rankin Heights, Morning Glory(smoky hollow) catawba heights and of course "Forneyville"
Reminds me of "Stumptown" which is the black area of Bessemer City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte