Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
If an owner of a leased property dies or the property is sold, the lease does not terminate. The heirs or new landlord are bound by the terms of the existing valid lease. So rent should not be raised during the lease unless that is the way it was written originally.

Here is a helpful link from the NC Real estate Commission: Q&A on renting residential real estate

http://www.ncrec.gov/pdf/brochures/Renting.pdf

True. The renters had to be under a month to month lease or up for renewal for the landlord to 'immediately' raise the rent. Not sure why they were so shocked.

The landlord has the right to raise the rent under the terms of the lease. The tenant has the option of agreeing or moving. The tenant does NOT have the option to just not pay the rent. I don't blame the landlords for expeditiously evicting those that don't pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,853 times
Even as a landlord, I think a 30% increase at once, is quite harsh. I read that as: "We want you to move, we know you won't pay this increase. Just go, so that the property will be empty and we can upgrade it, and rent it out for more."

That's the difference between corporate owned housing and small proprietors. The smaller businessperson can be more inclined to make minimal alterations to a property and leave the rent alone. There are no behind the scenes investors to satisfy.

I try to view the tenants as working in partnership with me. They're helping me pay off the mortgages and maintain the properties for my retirement. Why pizz them off if it's not needed?

Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Even as a landlord, I think a 30% increase at once, is quite harsh. I read that as: "We want you to move, we know you won't pay this increase. Just go, so that the property will be empty and we can upgrade it, and rent it out for more."

That's the difference between corporate owned housing and small proprietors. The smaller businessperson can be more inclined to make minimal alterations to a property and leave the rent alone. There are no behind the scenes investors to satisfy.

I try to view the tenants as working in partnership with me. They're helping me pay off the mortgages and maintain the properties for my retirement. Why pizz them off if it's not needed?
Are you saying that a new property owner should not be allowed to do as they please with their own property (within the lease agreement)?

Old 11-10-2013, 02:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
True. The renters had to be under a month to month lease or up for renewal for the landlord to 'immediately' raise the rent. Not sure why they were so shocked.

The landlord has the right to raise the rent under the terms of the lease. The tenant has the option of agreeing or moving. The tenant does NOT have the option to just not pay the rent. I don't blame the landlords for expeditiously evicting those that don't pay.
They're shocked because something they never considered would happen is now turning their lives upside down.

Quote:
Are you saying that a new property owner should not be allowed to do as they please with their own property (within the lease agreement)?
Yes, landlords should have the right to do what they want within the law. Maybe the law needs to change to help protect a renter. Perhaps something like extending the time to move after an increase notice is given, as long as the old rent amount continues to be paid. That would hurt no one.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
They're shocked because something they never considered would happen is now turning their lives upside down.

Yes, landlords should have the right to do what they want within the law. Maybe the law needs to change to help protect a renter. Perhaps something like extending the time to move after an increase notice is given, as long as the old rent amount continues to be paid. That would hurt no one.
How does a renter never consider that their rent will go up when the lease is over? Don't they read the lease?

You must not have ever tried to evict anyone. The law favors the tenant - that is why a diligent landlord knows that they have to start eviction proceedings ASAP or they could lose many months in rent.

I was raised to pay my mortgage/rent in full and on-time. I can't just chose not to pay and keep living there.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
How does a renter never consider that their rent will go up when the lease is over? Don't they read the lease?

You must not have ever tried to evict anyone. The law favors the tenant - that is why a diligent landlord knows that they have to start eviction proceedings ASAP or they could lose many months in rent.

I was raised to pay my mortgage/rent in full and on-time. I can't just chose not to pay and keep living there.
I rented half a dozen apartments over about 14 years. Only a couple times did my rent increase, and then it was $50 to $100, which was less than 15%. The article suggests some of the rents are going up by a third. I don't see any reasonable expectation of that happening.

Read the lease? HA HA HA HA!!! Surely you jest. But that's certainly no excuse.

Non payment should be a reason to evict, I agree. I know the laws are skewed towards the renter's benefit. I'm suggesting that renters be given every chance, as long as they keep paying. No one has to suffer.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you don't pay your rent (and again not due to a rent increase with no notice), I don't think it's fair to the landlord to have to wait a few months to give a nonpaying tenant a chance to move. Not all landlords are able to carry the mortgage while their tenant lives for free in their place. I have a friend that couldn't sell her home and had to rent as she was not able to afford paying both mortgages. She depends on her tenants to pay their rent on time. She had one that didn't and it cost her a pretty penny to evict them out. That is what I think of when I hear about evictions.

I agree that what happened to that lady was unfair and mentioned in my previous post that I am surprised there isn't a tenant law that allows her 30 days/protection to move since she did pay what was her rent amount and asked for time to move out.

We have renters and have had an issue with them being late this month. They were really mad that we expected to get the rent by the due date. They told us that we should take the money out of their security deposit and then when the pay replace it. They told us that we needed to do things in a business and legal way because we called them and sent a text when the rent wasn't paid by the date they said. To protect ourselves we sent them a 10 day demand letter.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We have renters and have had an issue with them being late this month. They were really mad that we expected to get the rent by the due date. They told us that we should take the money out of their security deposit and then when the pay replace it. They told us that we needed to do things in a business and legal way because we called them and sent a text when the rent wasn't paid by the date they said. To protect ourselves we sent them a 10 day demand letter.
They got mad? The entitlement of people just amazes me. And well now they made your "job" easier. No more calls or texts, all paperwork from here on out. I bet they will get offended that you didn't call them before sending the letters.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
They got mad? The entitlement of people just amazes me. And well now they made your "job" easier. No more calls or texts, all paperwork from here on out. I bet they will get offended that you didn't call them before sending the letters.

Exactly. They will just get a 10 day letter when late and nothing else. We only have about 8 more months left on the lease.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
I'm sure there is a lot more going on here than is being put in this article. Lots of things should bs taken into consideration here. Some of these things should be condition of the house, purchase price and most importantly, fair market rent price.

If the seller isn't getting FMV for the house that doesn't mean the new owner shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte