U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM

9 posts, read 12,669 times

Advertisements

Had a good time out Saturday off Rea. Thanks. Guess I have a lot of thinking to do. One thing that kinda got me was that Steve or James said (I think) that if you use the GoPro for the FPV the radio signal would be too much. (Wifi?) Will look into a way to use a quality camera and plug it into the fat shark. There has to be a way Yes? I am guessing that working on these are at least half the fun. I have some pictures, but am hesitant to post them here. I am not even sure who is who. This is just a panorama I stitched with a few photos from my camera. (Not on a quad.)

Quadcopters - Photosynth

Here is a rinky dink vid - taken with a tiny Nikon S02 edited and reduced in a simple video editor... not a serious attempt, just had a few seconds to putz. There may be a few more pics... they are all reduced and compresses so some of the quality is gone.

Photobucket is a bit slow with the vid. I hope to do much better things.

Last edited by Wraiththe; 02-09-2014 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 9,512 times
Glad to hear it. We had several new people drop by. Its even more fun with a group of people thats for sure, despite our FPV channel issues..

The GoPro comment could have been either of us. Supposedly (I don't have one) the wifi on a go pro being 2.4 GHz can knock out the receiver signal and leave your craft without any control. Some people use GoPro as the camera, or even the mobius, but it doesn't really make the FPV picture any better at all. If you were thinking you could use the wifi in the go pro as the transmitter, it won't go more than about 10-20 feet away before you lose that signal, but you can easily hook it up to your video transmitter.

Working on these things is half the fun, but normally most of the cost. Its amazing how fast things add up into the thousands of dollars. The quad is honestly not the majority of the investment, its the batteries and the FPV transmitter and camera and on screen display and and and.... but as a newbie myself, I can tell you (and I did), start simple and small and grow from there.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 AM

Of course I uploaded the wrong one. tsk tsk.

This was the right one.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,748,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanFlyer View Post
The GoPro comment could have been either of us. Supposedly (I don't have one) the wifi on a go pro being 2.4 GHz can knock out the receiver signal and leave your craft without any control. Some people use GoPro as the camera, or even the mobius, but it doesn't really make the FPV picture any better at all. If you were thinking you could use the wifi in the go pro as the transmitter, it won't go more than about 10-20 feet away before you lose that signal, but you can easily hook it up to your video transmitter.
Thankfully the Phantom Vision uses 5.8 GHz for the FPV which does not interfere with other wi-fi in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanFlyer View Post
Working on these things is half the fun, but normally most of the cost. Its amazing how fast things add up into the thousands of dollars. The quad is honestly not the majority of the investment, its the batteries and the FPV transmitter and camera and on screen display and and and.... but as a newbie myself, I can tell you (and I did), start simple and small and grow from there.
I hear ya. I have over 2k invested in mine so far. I don't see adding any more expense at the moment unless I modify the antenna to increase my FPV distance.

BTW, I took my Phantom on the airplane for the first time this past weekend. I have a nice hardshell case that I can carry on the plane. I assumed it would be searched, seeing how these things have all the earmarks of what a terrorist would use, but they did not even search it in Charlotte. Coming back from Palm Beach International was a different story. They pulled it and opened it and had me explain what it was as they moved a wand around it. They were very nice about it. I told them I expected this same thing to happen in Charlotte's airport but it wasn't. The TSA person's mouth dropped. She said someone there was asleep on the job.

Anyway, I was able to get some beautiful photos & video flying around Boca Raton and the West Delray Beach r/c airfield.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 23,542 times
Is there a hobby shop in the Charlotte area that sells the DJI quads?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,748,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
Is there a hobby shop in the Charlotte area that sells the DJI quads?
Unfortunately there isn't. The closest (that I know of) that sells them is Atlanta Hobby. I bought mine off ebay. If you do that, just make sure you buy from an authorized DJI dealer/seller.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 AM

It would be nice to see some of the pics from Boca.

I have been doing some research on this for what I would ultimately like down the road. I am a little amiss by this add on ebay.

Heavylift Professional Octocopter with Mantis Frame Wookong GPS DX8 AR8000 | eBay

I researched what seems to be the parts and it looks like they are asking 8K for 3.1K worth of parts. I understand there would be labor involved... a fair amount too, but 159%? Granted I might be a little short due to a missing charger or some other feature. I have left a question with the seller to see if I missed anything.

See attached estimate.

Any Charlotte area R/C Quadcopter enthusiasts?-aaa.jpg

Old 02-12-2014, 03:51 PM

To follow up, the only other thing the seller said would come with the set is batteries... as long as sold in the USA.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Default Golfer vs quadcopter

This is kind of ridiculous, but I thought to post it anyway.

Watch a Pro Golfer Knock a Drone From the Sky With One Golf Ball

Wraiththe

Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times
I would like to know more about the quad helicopters. Would be interested in meeting up and see one in action. I can be reached at 704-905-7171. Thanks, Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or