U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,744,572 times

Advertisements

Are there infrared vision sensors that could be retrofitted existing to vehicles? Deer delight
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,455,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb0624 View Post
During the middle of the day on Sunday, I was leaving the Harris YMCA, and turned left onto Sharon Road. Suddenly, out of nowhere, right in front of my car two deer came running out of someone's yard at full speed. Had to slam on my brakes...thank God no one was behind me or coming from the other side and they made it safely across. I was stunned that they were running around during the day like this. I am originally from WI and wondering if they need to have deer hunting season down here like they do up there, if this is becoming more of a problem. It was very scary.
It is Deer Hunting season, but not enough hunters.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...Season_Map.pdf

Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb0624 View Post
During the middle of the day on Sunday, I was leaving the Harris YMCA, and turned left onto Sharon Road. Suddenly, out of nowhere, right in front of my car two deer came running out of someone's yard at full speed. Had to slam on my brakes...thank God no one was behind me or coming from the other side and they made it safely across. I was stunned that they were running around during the day like this. I am originally from WI and wondering if they need to have deer hunting season down here like they do up there, if this is becoming more of a problem. It was very scary.
I am so glad you are okay, DEB. You are so right - had there been folks behind you . . . thank goodness no one was tailgating you.

There are several herds in south Charlotte that concern me. One hangs around Country Day and Carmel Country Club -- and the green space in that area. That connects to my subdivision and those deer roam through our neighborhood daily - usually twice - morning and evening. They are also often in our yards long after dark.

Shout out to LOVES: Do you remember when you and I walked outside at my house about 10:30 pm and saw 5 deer standing a matter of yards from us? LOL It was slightly foggy and we both were more startled to see the deer than they were to see us!!!!

We can't hunt them b/c we are in the city limits. The sad thing is . . . the deer are attracting coyotes! It is a bad situation. We have had threads on this in the past. Animal Control will do nothing and there is no program here to relocate deer.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:02 AM

797 posts, read 633,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My dear friend, deer whistles on the front of my car have saved me from hitting deer on many occasions!

I highly recommend them!
nice old tech, unfortunately most people won't use them because they don't look good..

There will eventually be a housing development where the deer came from, so the problem fixes itself..

Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 8,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You all are so witty! Thank you for the good humor as well as the tips and info!

VMAX - I would say you are brilliant for having the foresight to know the chances were high that a buck was chasing that deer.

In my neighborhood, we have deer that stand at the edge of the road at night. Of course, I am going very slow in my own neighborhood. I have never had one run out on my street, but wow - there are usually 3-5 and one night, I counted 7 at the edge of my street. Why they stand at the edge of the road - I have no clue.

In my own neighborhood, I am constantly aware of the deer as they feed in my yard daily, at dawn and in the evenings around dusk, as well. Since we are off Carmel, I am never surprised when there are wrecks on Carmel due to deer dashing into the road.

What scares the bejeebers out of me are deer running out on 485, 77, 85 . . . as the speeds are high. On Carmel, it is bad, but at least folks are not traveling 65 mph or more.

The close encounters I have had were never on highways, but rather back roads and most of them were in the mountains (Watauga and Avery counties). I had a buck jump completely across my car hood one night in Watauga county and to this day, I keep asking myself if that really happened. Hubby was with me or I would have wondered if I dreamed the whole thing - it happened so fast - my headlights barely caught the spectre of his form (antlers, really) and then I saw his legs over my hood - I had nearly stopped (probably going 20 mph) - I was going around a big curve at a low speed, thank God.

I never forget that there are deer around this time of year, especially. But there is no way to really avoid an encounter. Good advice about not swerving.

Two years ago, I came across an entire family of deer on Carmel Rd. I was leaving the apartment complex directly behind the Harris Teeter Shopping Center; I forget the name of it. Thankfully, the deer were not in my line of direction. But it was still quite shocking to see so many in such a populated area. It had to have been at least SEVEN individual deer. It was at night and I stopped my car (from a distance, of course) just to take in the sight.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,862,550 times
Deer run in front of my car about once a week, usually on Lester Davis between New Town and the back of Hollister, or a bunch of them hang out in that area after the goat farm, right after the curve on New Town, before Cuthbertson.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,993,153 times
When I first moved here someone once warned me "If you see one deer, there is bound to be more, slow down" And it has always proven to be right. I hit a deer 2 year ago. It came bounding out of a ditch and right in front of my car. I didn't even have time to tap my brakes.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,750,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Crashes involving deer have increased dramatically in this region. Sadly, this buck tried to jump over the car and crashed into the windshield, fatally injuring the driver.

Troopers: Woman injured in SUV wreck with deer dies | www.wsoctv.com

There is more information about deer involved crashes in the article below. I was shocked to read that troopers advise they have tracked 550 deer involved crashes in 2012, which took place in only three counties: Meck, Gaston and Union.

Troopers warn of increased deer-related accidents | www.wsoctv.com

I think it is worth mentioning any tips folks might have for dealing with deer while driving, i.e. - don't most crashes take place in the evening/night or early morning?

And of course, during mating season, deer are on the move.

All my encounters with deer running out into a road have been at dusk or later in the night, but I don't know if that is typical. I have been lucky at least six times over my lifetime. My brother/law wasn't - he ended up in the hospital for nearly six weeks and we didn't think he was going to make it at one point.

Any advice?
This is probably one of my top three fears when driving. I was driving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte almost every 1-3 weeks for a project about 5 years ago. On my way back through PA, I hit a huge (to me) deer. It was foggy and 6am, the deer appeared in less than 2 seconds. I was going about 70mph, no time for either of us to react, I hit the deer running over it. I was driving a chrysler concorde at the time, not a small vehicle so I think that prevented me from totally losing control.

Upon thinking about it, I was very very fortunate, my car could have been wrecked then and there and if the deer had rolled up onto the car as opposed to underneath it could have cracked the windshield and I could have been hurt or worse. My car was totally jacked up after that and never the same, blood and fur all over the caved in front grill, but I still was able to walk away from it.

Ever since then dark roads especially in wooded rural areas make me extremely cautious. I see deer out in Harrisburg, and Weddington/Wesley Chapel all the time and immediately get the flash back and come to just about a crawl - in all scenarios they "win" and I let them cross when they're good and ready. Really the only thing I can think of is just go slow when you don't have total visibility and the roads are not fenced.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM

409 posts, read 987,770 times
Some years ago my son was driving on a city street in Gainesville, FL when a deer bolted from the woods and ran full-tilt into the side of the car that was in front of him.

The deer's head went right through the driver's side window. My son went to help out, and the deer, still stuck in the window, was dead and with its head bleeding profusely right into the lap of the young lady who was driving. As you can imagine she was hysterical, but thankfully unhurt.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:54 PM

767 posts, read 283,083 times
Are deer stupid? One buck ran at will into a friend's car which had STOPPED on a highway because she saw another deer in front of it. The buck took a look at the car, lowered its head, and went straight on to the car. At least the cats in my neighborhood seem to have more sense than deer, they usually look before they run. I just moved to the southwestern area of Pennsylvania, and find it one of the worst places I've ever lived in.

You know the government could do something about these things -- kill off the deer population, or relocate them, etc., but then the animal rights people would cry foul because they love animals more than human life. What a joke. And I guess the government doesn't have enough tax money to protect it citizens. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or