U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,538 times

Advertisements

My daughter, a recent college grad, is looking at accepting a job in Mooresville and moving from Southern California. What is the area like for a single, professional woman? Any advice on where to live that would be safe, active and enjoyable for someone in their mid twenties? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,866,504 times
Not Mooresville.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
What a useless post Austin.

OP - Mooresville is a safe place, first and foremost. There is some typical type crime but as a parent I'd feel safe with my kid across the country living in Mooresville. There are plenty of parks, adult coed sports leagues and other activities such as trails at Lake Norman state park for biking or hiking if she's into that. In terms of the "fun" stuff beyond exercise, Mooresville has some bars/restaurants to choose from but it's definitely not loaded down with great options. Fortunately we are only a 20 minute or so drive to uptown Charlotte where there are clubs/bars and more excitement. If your daughter wants to live in the middle of excitement she may get bored in Mooresville or she might enjoy having plenty of conveniences and safety at her home but going to the party when she wants to and leaving it behind afterwards.

I've got plenty of single, professional female friends in Mooresville and they love living here but everyone is different of course and comes from different areas with different expectations.

Has she actually been to Mooresville yet? A trip out will quickly tell her if it's the right atmosphere that she's looking for. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM

39 posts, read 83,385 times
My uncle moved there, back in 2003. I visit him for a week every three years or so, and the town has really developed since he moved there. But I still get the feeling that its more for families than for young, single people whenever I visit.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:49 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,094,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE88 View Post
My daughter, a recent college grad, is looking at accepting a job in Mooresville and moving from Southern California. What is the area like for a single, professional woman? Any advice on where to live that would be safe, active and enjoyable for someone in their mid twenties? Thanks!
Depends on where she wants to be and how much $$ she can spend on housing - rent or buy...

Old 11-22-2013, 04:56 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times
Quote:
But I still get the feeling that its more for families than for young, single people whenever I visit.
^DEFINITELY THIS- Urge you to visit first.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 PM

816 posts, read 638,009 times
Mooresville, NC is mostly rural and there isn't really a job market outside the satured retail, resturant, and manufacturing ones there. I highly suggest if she's going in to one of those saturated job markets to go closer to a bigger city so she can recover in case anything comes up..

Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Mooresville, NC is mostly rural and there isn't really a job market outside the satured retail, resturant, and manufacturing ones there. I highly suggest if she's going in to one of those saturated job markets to go closer to a bigger city so she can recover in case anything comes up..
LOL....Rural? You are from Maiden, you should know the difference between rural and a city of 40k.

As far as jobs go, depends on what the OP's daughter is looking to get into. The 2nd largest home improvement company in the US is located in Mooresville with plenty of jobs posted. Hopefully the daughter would be assured a job before making such a move so I don't think the job is as big a concern.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,866,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Not Mooresville.
My statement was short and simple. Mooresville is cool, but there's better options IMO.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE88 View Post
She'll be fine in Mooresville but will have to go through the usual cultural/geographic transition relocating from SoCal. I'd suggest living in Huntersville area (short commute to Mooresville), a litter closer to Charlotte for excursions into the city to mingle and hang out with the younger adult crowd.

Mooresville is very safe and a great place to live but traffic can be intense in the area due to high growth and slow expansion of secondary roads and an antiquated interstate system (I-77) that is in the beginning stages of planned expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or