Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 81,390 times

Advertisements

We cancelled Directv and have switched to an OTA antenna. I would like to use the existing mount from the Directv dish and mount our new antenna there to take advantage of all of the existing wire and the high location of the antenna. The dish is currently on the second story of our house. A quick trip up the ladder today made me realize that I don't like extension ladders anymore.

With that said, I'm looking for someone that is more comfortable with this work (i.e. an installer that moonlights, etc.) that is willing to do this for a fee. It shouldn't take long, just remove the dish and swap it out for the new antenna. I live in Fort Mill close to the Carowinds area. If you are interested or know someone that is, shoot me a pm. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 PM

529 posts, read 1,197,041 times
Exclamation insurance

I suggest that whomever you hire is insured for that type of work (on roof). Otherwise, you'll be responsible if an accident were to occur.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,757,354 times
Just an option in case you don't find someone or they don't have a ladder. You can rent a sturdier ladder from Sunbelt Rentals. They have the heavy duty ones with the harness.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:54 AM

821 posts, read 1,845,676 times
Call the Charlotte Firefighters Association (union?) on Monroe Road and ask them to put you in touch with one of their firefighters who is trained in "high angle rescue." We had one, Eric Jones, do some tree work for us. He's insured and bonded and is extremely reasonable. Frankly, the firefighters would probably give you the best price, since they would rather help you out than have to make an emergency 911 run after you fall. Just explain your issue. This is a 15 minute job, from the time the ladder is put up, the dish taken down, and the ladder taken down and stored. An option would be to stop by your closest fire station and just ask if anyone at the station moonlights whereby they would take down the dish for you and is insured. I've taken down a dish from my house and it's a no-brainer. Then, heights do not bother me.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM

I got in touch with a handyman and he knocked it out today. The firefighter advice is a great idea. I'll definitely keep that one in mind in the future. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,131,292 times
Thanks for returning to the thread and updating. Surprising how often that doesn't happen.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM

What can I say, I like closure

FWIW, the handyman service that I used was Eager Beaver Handyman Services out of Matthews.

Eager Beaver Handyman Services - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte