Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 AM

146 posts, read 506,635 times

Advertisements

I just think it's important to get the facts out there, regardless of whether it is positive or negative. People should have the right to make an informed decision, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
Most nuclear plants require cooling from an ocean or large body of water. The cooling water never touches anything radioactive, and serves as a heat exchanger, absorbing heat from a completely seperate circuit that comes in contact with radioactive materials. Worrying about cancer from cooling water is like the old HIV/AIDS from a toilet seat rumors.

Chernobyl was partially caused by HUMANS running some experimental procedures on the plant when it had the meltdown. They purposely deactived most of the automatic saftey systems and were unable to react quickly enough when things got out of control.

Aside from the waste, nuclear power is a great alternative to fossil fuel dependence regardless of your political leanings. Most people in the US and EU live within >100 miles of a nuclear plant.

This post is also worth reading again

Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampy123 View Post
I just think it's important to get the facts out there, regardless of whether it is positive or negative. People should have the right to make an informed decision, that's all.
Hey, that's what America is all about

Educating oneself on any issue leads to better choices and decisions.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,648,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This post is also worth reading again
Agreed. But I would imagine that the plant uses a portion of the lake water to operate. This not only includes drawing water in, but expelling water out.

Without jumping to conclusions, there's a chance that this is the same body of water that's used for drinking.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Agreed. But I would imagine that the plant uses a portion of the lake water to operate. This not only includes drawing water in, but expelling water out.

Without jumping to conclusions, there's a chance that this is the same body of water that's used for drinking.
All I can do is re-post what I think is already the best post on this:

"The cooling water never touches anything radioactive, and serves as a heat exchanger, absorbing heat from a completely seperate circuit that comes in contact with radioactive materials."

Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
I, for one, would not do anything in Lake Norman let alone DRINK anything. Gross!!
Has NOTHING to do with the fact that its purpose is to be the cooling system for the reactor - seriously. Not an issue.

http://www.duke-energy.com/environment/water/smp/catawbawateree_smp/ (broken link)

Old 02-21-2007, 11:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,125 times
Default swimming

So what is the conclusion here is it safe to swin in that water? It seems weird to me. Is Lake Wylie safe to be in? I personally think even the Atlantic ocean is gross so I guess I am not going to like the lake.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 AM

478 posts, read 959,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
So what is the conclusion here is it safe to swin in that water? It seems weird to me. Is Lake Wylie safe to be in? I personally think even the Atlantic ocean is gross so I guess I am not going to like the lake.
I think the bottom line is... you should ask a real estate agent about these matters. They have the knowledge to tell you anything you would like to hear.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,029 times
WOW! What a discussion. I'd like to make just two quick points. First, it is the legal responsibility of the Real Estate Agent to disclose to a potential buyer all material facts that affect a property. So, if you are considering buying on a lake you should be told the facts. It is a nuclear power plant. And, then a smart agent will follow up by providing Duke Energy's (or whomever's) history of safety in the area and the low probability of disaster. The buyer will then make the decision to buy or not.

Secondly, we do all have opinions and whether we agree or disagree I appreciate the fact that we can do it with respect. None of us have exclusive rights here.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:04 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,648,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All I can do is re-post what I think is already the best post on this:

"The cooling water never touches anything radioactive, and serves as a heat exchanger, absorbing heat from a completely seperate circuit that comes in contact with radioactive materials."
LovesMountains, I thank you for your helpful reply .

My greatest concern has to do not with what is the normal operation of the equipment, but with what might happen, should the equipment malfunction.

Either way, I am not from the area; thus I know not, about Duke's reputation for safety. But judging by the attitude of the posters on this thread, and lack of news, it would seem that Duke takes the operation of the plant very seriously .

Curiously enough, I find it odd that the Charlotte area doesn't rely on well water - which might be safer, and doesn't need filtering, for it's water supply. Anyone know why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte