Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
So what if I don't live in the state? I have spent plenty of time in the area to know what I am talking about. It's a fact that Lake Norman has a nuclear power plant on it, it was built specifically for that purpose by the damming of the Catawba River. You can swim, but it is not exactly the cleanest lake I have seen. I wouldn't swim in it.

But yes, by all means, go and check it out. Just remember there IS a nuclear plant on the lake, and I personally would not want to live so close to a nuclear plant, in the event of a three mile island/chernobyl type event.
Giving advice about a place you don't even live is like hiring a NY taxi cab driver to be your tour guide in San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 12:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,808,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I couldn't resist responding since it is somewhat of a science question. Nuclear Power is often thought of in the same context as a nuclear bomb, and they are not the same. The Cherynobl incident was an incident of a poorly designed plant to begin with. It's like building a house on stilts and then wondering why it collapsed after someone kicked one of the legs out.

There's more fear of solar radiation and it's contributions to skin cancer than nuclear power plants. So unless you live at the tip of the north pole during 6 months of darkness and never use a cell phone and turn a radio on again, you'll never escape some form of radiation

However Nuclear plants should be watched, regulated and inspected regularly, just like every other aspect of our energy driven society.

Incidentally, I'm more worried about fast food fries and the oil it's cooked in than about nuclear energy.
I think this about sums it up.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:02 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,842,994 times
>Giving advice about a place you don't even live is like hiring a NY taxi cab driver >to be your tour guide in San Francisco

What if that taxi cab driver happens to be a student of state & local governance who has extensively studied the area in question, has visited that area numerous times, and knows what he is talking about? I probably know more about Mecklenburg County than most locals.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:04 PM

Copyright © 2006 Nuclear Energy Institute.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:06 PM

348 posts, read 426,041 times
Clap! Clap! Clap!

Look, we do have to remember that all of us on this board are offering an opinion. All of us should be cautioned to take anything read here (and anywhere on the internet, for that matter) with a little grain of salt.

We are trying to help eachother here, and simply offering views. Of course, one person's cup of tea could be another's sour milk. So, I think we should be wary of any hysterical and dramatic posts, and really learn the facts. I truly enjoy reading what y'all think of various things in and around Charlotte, but ultimately, its my job to check it out and make an informed decision. The opinions shared here are fabulous.

But, LovesMountains, you are so right in saying that one should be careful with posts from folks who are not here..... I personally would not go on a board for a place I do not actually live in, and won't even offer comments on this Charlotte board for areas I am just vaguely familiar with even though I live here. I figure that I would offer limited value to those people seeking knowledge in those cases. But others may very well feel that they are qualified to make comments.....so readers beware! Do your due diligence and weigh the opinions carefully!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,308,959 times
Well, I do live here, I have swam in the lake, and I wouldn't swim in the lake
now if you paid me (several sewage accidents), but I personally like the "glow"
everyone gets after prolonged exposure to the water........ LOLOL

Old 10-19-2006, 09:37 AM

isnt that lake wylie?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
isnt that lake wylie?
HA!!! Don't go starting any false rumors now

Old 10-19-2006, 02:31 PM

72 posts, read 270,231 times
Most nuclear plants require cooling from an ocean or large body of water. The cooling water never touches anything radioactive, and serves as a heat exchanger, absorbing heat from a completely seperate circuit that comes in contact with radioactive materials. Worrying about cancer from cooling water is like the old HIV/AIDS from a toilet seat rumors.

Chernobyl was partially caused by HUMANS running some experimental procedures on the plant when it had the meltdown. They purposely deactived most of the automatic saftey systems and were unable to react quickly enough when things got out of control.

Aside from the waste, nuclear power is a great alternative to fossil fuel dependence regardless of your political leanings. Most people in the US and EU live within >100 miles of a nuclear plant.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:56 PM

431 posts, read 1,662,910 times
my 2 pennies, I can tell you that in life, regardless of its validity, perception is reality. Most peoples perception of Nuclear Power Plants is that of doom and gloom. I can tell you personally I didnt consider Lake Norman once I was told of the Nuclear Plant. I choose not to live next to one. Just like I wouldnt live next to a garbage dump, airport, sewage treatment plant, highway..etc, etc. None of these things can have a positive influence on your home nor will the Nuclear Plant.

I have a theory that the majority of people whom purchase in the Lake Norman area probably would never buy next to a Nuclear Reactor Plant if it were not for the Lake. Thus for many reasons of their own, many of us are enamored at the thought of living on or near waterfront property. (even if a nuclear reactor is near!)...and for that matter probably would do the same if it were a garbage dump, airport, waste plant, etc etc.

People love living on the water. Hey, Ill admit I would also. I grew up on Long Island. I was on the Gr. South Bay all of my life. I would love a home on the Ocean, or to live anywhere coastal in NC. I made a decision not to because of the potential of disaster.

Basically people weigh there desires to live waterfront against the potential hazards of doing so and we will all come to different conclusions. But I guarantee ya that people buying in Lake Norman area would feel alot different about that Plant If it werent for there lake front property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte