U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM

822 posts, read 2,539,900 times

Advertisements

Rode the train uptown today from the Arrowood station.

It will be interesting to see if people use it more for daily commuting or special events.

It seemed like most people, once they arrived uptown, walked around and got back on the train. Not much to do on a Saturday in that area.

Had no idea how much dilapidated and vacant land there was along the right of way of the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,761,592 times
It was fun. I enjoyed a lot of the events (we used to enjoy riding the trolley too). Saturday afternoons sometimes have arena events as is the case next Saturday for college b-ball. There are also some cool places between south end and uptown. Jillian's, Tavern on the Tracks, Tea Rex, Owen's Bagel's, Mr. K's, Price's, Pike's, Java Passage, American Apparel. I knew there were a lot of vacant buildings along the line, but some areas actually look nice. Some of that is already changing too (Park South Station is one example). I know when we would go uptown for Checkers games and ride the trolley (that was for a year before the trolley was disrupted) many people would ride. Trolleys were always crammed for Panthers games and concerts too. The Checkers are also playing next Satuurday night and since there are two events in one day at the arena, we will ride the train. You can pay a special event pass so you don't have to worry about two seperate tickets.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:18 PM

316 posts, read 287,860 times
Rode the train today 10:00 sharp - It was awesome from Downtown to 485 stop - then they made everyone get off the train and rewait in a line that was over an hour long - we had two sall children and it was a little chilly so we opted for the bus to take us back - it was crowded and took about an hour to get to the Newbern stop - then we thought we would be able to get back on the train - we were wrong - three trains passed and were so full you could not get on - so we waited until 2:00 and tried again - no luck until we crammed ourselves into a train. Finally we were back to our car. Even with that bit of hassle - It was so great to see and ride the train - it was so convient and fun - I will definatley use it!

Old 11-24-2007, 05:02 PM

674 posts, read 603,918 times
I was headed there today but was afraid it would be packed-- sounds like it was. So I will pay and ride it next weekend for fun. Groove mentioned a lot of good things that the blue line can take you to. Plus people can use it to take a ride uptown and walk to the winter skating rink.

All that "dilapitated" land will soon be prime real estate I bet.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM

47 posts, read 200,564 times
Yeah, I'm figuring on waiting at least til the free weekend is over before I go check it out... a $4 day pass is worth possibly not having to deal with such crowds.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:16 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,535,698 times
We rode the rails today with our two young girls. Rode from 485 to the Convention Center and then went ice skating. The train was very crowded but the girls and my husband, a train lover, really enjoyed it. Ice skating was nice although a bit disappointing because all they rented were ice hockey skates, which my 6 yr. old couldn't deal with. But all in all a nice experience.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:17 PM

I am surprised, they had different skates last year! Glad you had fun though--

Old 11-24-2007, 09:25 PM

316 posts, read 287,860 times
Where is this skating ring - I would love to go!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:32 AM

It is on The Green uptown--here's a link:
Seasonal for the holidays, only open through Jan 6!

WBT | Holiday On Ice | Hours of Operation

Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,761,592 times
It's an artificial ice rink...that plastic feeling stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte