Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,973,961 times

Advertisements

Mine averages $12.00, but I'm on a septic and have no irrigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:42 AM

533 posts, read 931,117 times
I paid on average around $50/month when I lived in Charlotte city limits. The cost of water is dang near ridiculous -100% agree..

Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM

821 posts, read 1,844,178 times
A neighbor had the same issue. He finally spotted a soft/damp area in his yard, but a very slight grade had the water run to a point where there was no leak - only wicking. You need so do a walk around to investigate. That failing, get some recommendations of a good and honest plumber (most are honest, but there's always a bad apple in the bunch.

Ground should be relatively dry now, so a soft or damp spot should be easy to spot - hopefully.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
A neighbor had the same issue. He finally spotted a soft/damp area in his yard, but a very slight grade had the water run to a point where there was no leak - only wicking. You need so do a walk around to investigate. That failing, get some recommendations of a good and honest plumber (most are honest, but there's always a bad apple in the bunch.

Ground should be relatively dry now, so a soft or damp spot should be easy to spot - hopefully.
Thank you, PAULOSFM!

We haven't found a spot yet, but here is what we found this weekend.

We evidently have 2 very very slow leaks in 2 toilets. Hubby can't hear the sound but once I got down close to the tanks, I could hear some noise. When I turned the water off to the toilet tanks, the noise stopped.

So we are starting there. It seems unlikely that this could make that big of a difference in my bill, but I have read that hundreds of gallons of water can be lost this way during a month.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
We pay on average about $50 as well. We are a family of 4. I too had a slightly higher bill and traced it to a leaking toilet such as you mentioned. Fixed it and it went down to $50ish. (that's total for water/sewer/storm etc)

Old 12-02-2013, 12:01 PM

I would say maybe about 2 years after we had lived here, I called and asked about why the sewer was so high and they said it was because of the size of our lot and the footprint of the house and driveway. I tried to educate myself on the subject and asked questions, such as . . . what effect it should have that I have a creek in the back . . . An engineer came over and said that the charges were from "run off" b/c of the way our house was sited on the lot. I still couldn't figure out what all that meant b/c our lot is 1/2 acre and I have a certified wildlife habitat in the back, so not as though I have poured a bunch of concrete that creates run off.

So I am stuck with the sewer charges -- nothing I can do to lower those.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,178,602 times
I hate the storm water fee's. They base it off the square footage of your property. Commercial properties get hit pretty hard!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I hate the storm water fee's. They base it off the square footage of your property. Commercial properties get hit pretty hard!
I bet commercial properties do get hit hard! I just find it all so weird b/c our creek collects all the run off water (somewhat of a hill in the back). So . . . technically . . . that isn't a sewer our water is running off into . . . and further, being on a hill, the water that is running on my property is actually already being paid for by the people further up the hill from me, lololol. (I don't think CharMeck sees it this way, but hey - it really is what happens!!!)

Old 11-21-2016, 07:05 AM

113 posts, read 143,761 times
Yep. City of Charlotte Water is outrageous. Once you pass certain tiers of usage they absolutely slaughter you.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,315,443 times
Charlotte's water and sewer fees are less than Raleigh and slightly more than Winston-Salem and Greensboro. They're not outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte