U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 07:09 AM

115 posts, read 174,930 times

Advertisements

My family is looking for a Christmas Tree farm and I would love to hear of others' experiences. We want to cut a Fraser Fir and I know they only grow above a certain elevation. I guess that means we are headed to the mountains. We live in Waxhaw - what are the closest tree farms that grow Frasers? We have children, so we are looking for a festive atmosphere, maybe a hay ride, toasting marshmallows, hot chocolate, Christmas music, etc. Mom would love some natural beauty and Dad just wants the shortest ride possible. I need to check the weather - snow on the ground would be great. We are from PA and my daughters miss the snow (not me)! Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,004,191 times
NC Christmas Trees - Cut your Own Christmas Tree NC

Christmas Tree Farms: Where in North Carolina to find choose-and-cut Christmas trees, Tree lots with pre-cut trees, stands, sleigh rides, hay rides and related winter events and fun!

Everyone is going to have their own opinion of the "best" places to cut. You probably don't even have to go really high into the elevations to find a tree farm. Just keep in mind that your bucolic fantasy (snow on the ground) would make for a difficult drive for your husband. The mountain roads can be winding, once off 321/421, and the weekends will be crazy, with everyone having the same idea as yourself. You would probably want to make plans for this to be a whole day trip, coming from Waxhaw.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,230,832 times
There is Christmas Tree farms in the foothills. There is one in Vale off of Hwy 27 about a hour from Charlotte, 15 minutes from Lincolnton. Hill's Christmas Tree Farm
https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...d=0CKUBEPwSMAo

Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 AM

20,500 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is Christmas Tree farms in the foothills. There is one in Vale off of Hwy 27 about a hour from Charlotte, 15 minutes from Lincolnton. Hill's Christmas Tree Farm
https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...d=0CKUBEPwSMAo

Last weekend I went to Hickory & saw numerous cars with trees on the roof on 321. There was a sign in a field just before the exit. I'm headed back up today & will try to take note of which exit. Don't remember if it was northern Lincoln or southern Catawba.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 PM

20,500 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Last weekend I went to Hickory & saw numerous cars with trees on the roof on 321. There was a sign in a field just before the exit. I'm headed back up today & will try to take note of which exit. Don't remember if it was northern Lincoln or southern Catawba.

The sign directs people to exit 321 at exit 33 which is in Catawba County. It's probably the Santa's Forest entry on this website. Catawba County | Foothills Fresh :: Farm Directory for the Foothills of North Carolina

Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 PM

5,702 posts, read 8,137,724 times
We love taking the kids up... Drive up, hay ride up the mountain, pick a tree, hot chocolate, hit Mast General in Boone, walk a bit, eat a nice dinner, head home to get the tree in a stand. 2 hours from Blowing Rock door to door coming down 321.

It's not cost effective, definitely crowded, the roads can be tricky so watch the weather; but it's a great day. There's something about mountain air and it is beautiful up there.

The choices are endless - we went to

Lil

I'm sure you can find something closer. I wouldn't give them the greatest glowing review, but they got the job done.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 AM

115 posts, read 174,930 times
Default Greene Family Tree Farm

Well, we made a decision and headed to Boone yesterday to cut our tree. We chose Greene Family Tree Farm. We called the farm from the car to ask if they allowed leashed dogs. I got their answering machine and left a msg. I got a callback within 5 minutes (which I thought was great considering that the farm was probably extremely busy). They do allow dogs which made us happy because we bring our dog with us every year on our tree-cutting mission.

The farm was packed. The parking lot was full and the narrow winding road leading to the farm was also lined with parked cars. There were two choices of fields: one you could walk to or another you could take a hayride to. Since my girls were already running through the closer field looking for a tree, we skipped the hayride. They had beautiful frasers in every size. The farm provided saws for people who wanted to cut their own, but throughout the field there were employees everywhere to cut for you or assist you. We cut our own. Two employees took our tree right after we cut it and we went up to pay. Despite the crowds it all went quickly and efficiently. The line of cars waiting to get their trees was long, but as I said, it went really fast. The farm did it all - shook it out, baled it and tied it to our roof.

Our 9 foot tree (it was almost 10, but they charged us for 9) cost $75. There is a coupon on their website for $10 off. If you just mention it, they take the $10 off. You don't need to show the coupon at all. So we paid $65.

The farm had a pen with a goat, a sheep and a pony, plus hayrides. In the small lean-to where you paid, there were thermoses with cider and hot cocoa, a few wreaths for sale and plastic tree bags, etc. I can't say it was festive, but it was fun. Lots of bustling and energy! The weather was beautiful and there was snow on the ground!

We made a day of it and headed into Boone for a stroll then headed home. All in all, it was a great day. Since there are so many tree farms, we will try another next year. Perhaps one that is a little more festive and a little closer.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 AM

533 posts, read 731,885 times
The farther you drive the cheaper they get. Head way up into Ashe county. I paid 20 bucks a tree. 1 8', 1 6'. 40 bucks total

Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,749 times
We went to Pinetop Farm in Salisbury, NC to pick our Christmas Tree. The trip was about 50 minutes from Charlotte. My kids really enjoyed the hayride out to the field. The farm provided a bow saw so we could cut our own tree. The family had a very nice experience and plus we didn't have to drive 2 hours into the mountains.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:33 PM

576 posts, read 418,122 times
For those in South Charlotte, we went to Penland Tree Farm just west of Fort Mill and had a great time. They have pre-cut Fraser Firs brought in from the mountains, but all the other types (there were 5-6 different types) are cut-your-own. We ended up with 2 trees and a stand for $55. Plus free hayrides and a bonfire for s'mores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte