U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366

Advertisements

That's fine that you want to focus on the house first, but you probably shouldn't have mentioned anything about a commute time if you don't know where you'll be working. At least you later said you'd be willing to commute even further than what you originally stated.

You also said you've seen many possibilities...have you visited yet? What is your reasoning for eliminating SC? Fort Mill is very nice and to be honest I'm not sure if there is much fitting your requirements in your budget there. Rock Hill maybe.

Agree with some of the other suggestions though, such as Mint Hill and Indian Trail. Concord/Kannapolis, Mooresville, maybe Huntersville or Matthews, and SW Charlotte might also be worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM
 
206 posts, read 315,073 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Agree with some of the other suggestions though, such as Mint Hill and Indian Trail. Concord/Kannapolis, Mooresville, maybe Huntersville or Matthews, and SW Charlotte might also be worth looking into.
I have visited Concord(I have some people there) and Charlotte. I will look into these areas you mentioned as well as Rock Hill.

Charlotteborn, since I have just turned my attention to Charlotte, I don't have a Realtor yet. I am looking into getting one for Charlotte soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I do not want to go that route. I do not in any way want to diminish the importance of having a Job first; however, I do not want the location of my permanent residence for my family to be dictated by my job's location. I can easily change jobs. I would hope to kill two birds with one stone. However, if it comes down to it, I would rather travel over the limit my preferred time of travel to ensure the best possible location for my family.
In your price range, for what you want, you are looking at the outer limits of a commute to Charlotte, such as Kings Mountain or Kannapolis. You might also look at Rockhill or Monroe.

If you think that jobs are plentiful here you are mistaken.You might end up with a commute approaching 2 hours if you want to do it your way. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
 
206 posts, read 315,073 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
In your price range, for what you want, you are looking at the outer limits of a commute to Charlotte, such as Kings Mountain or Kannapolis. You might also look at Rockhill or Monroe.

If you think that jobs are plentiful here you are mistaken.You might end up with a commute approaching 2 hours if you want to do it your way. Good luck with that.
I appreciate the kind warning. However, trust me, I am not naive and I am fully aware that NC is within the nation's top fifteen states with the highest unemployment rates in the nation.

I have been looking into Monroe and I like what I see. I haven't fully checked the Kings Mountain and some of the other locations mentioned by previous posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I appreciate the kind warning. However, trust me, I am not naive and I am fully aware that NC is within the nation's top fifteen states with the highest unemployment rates in the nation.

I have been looking into Monroe and I like what I see. I haven't fully checked the Kings Mountain and some of the other locations mentioned by previous posters.
Use the "search this forum" function. Also, be aware that people frequently list commute times using non-rush hour times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,866,161 times
Reputation: 7945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I appreciate the kind warning. However, trust me, I am not naive and I am fully aware that NC is within the nation's top fifteen states with the highest unemployment rates in the nation.

I have been looking into Monroe and I like what I see. I haven't fully checked the Kings Mountain and some of the other locations mentioned by previous posters.
If you do move to Monroe, make sure you are well within the zone for the Weddington schools. Sun Valley schools were not good when we looked there a couple of years ago. It may have improved since then but check into it if schools are important to you. (you probably already know this, but the whole district may be realigned)

I will get flamed for this, but also check out crime mapping for Monroe when you narrow down your choices. There are great areas and then there are high crime areas (such as everywhere else).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 AM
 
206 posts, read 315,073 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you do move to Monroe, make sure you are well within the zone for the Weddington schools. Sun Valley schools were not good when we looked there a couple of years ago. It may have improved since then but check into it if schools are important to you. (you probably already know this, but the whole district may be realigned)

I will get flamed for this, but also check out crime mapping for Monroe when you narrow down your choices. There are great areas and then there are high crime areas (such as everywhere else).
High crime rates is definitely a deal breaker and of course I am looking into that as well. Thanks for the heads up on Sun Valley schools.


southbound_295, while I love driving (I see driving as an art... it fascinates me how analytical my mind is while driving)... I hate traffic with a passion. That's one of my pet peeves in NYC. I would rather commute for one hour without traffic than spend thirty minutes in traffic. Thanks for the heads up. Next time I am in the Charlotte area, it will be during normal business days. So I will get to check this out myself.

Last edited by Aloupha; 12-02-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
 
149 posts, read 147,260 times
Reputation: 79
There are pocket neighborhoods within town. Shadowlake, Painted Tree/Innisfree/Ashebrook subdivisions. They're going to be older homes and on the smaller end of your square footage requirements. Schools are rated middle of the road. You could watch Settler's Landing. Things come up that could fall into your price range. Again, older homes and not quite so large as 2,200 square feet, but zoned for more desirable schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
High crime rates is definitely a deal breaker and of course I am looking into that as well. Thanks for the heads up on Sun Valley schools.


southbound_295, while I love driving (I see driving as an art... it fascinates me how analytical my mind is while driving)... I hate traffic with a passion. That's one of my pet peeves in NYC. I would rather commute for one hour without traffic than spend thirty minutes in traffic. Thanks for the heads up. Next time I am in the Charlotte area, it will be during normal business days. So I will get to check this out myself.
You're welcome.

You might want to look for work in Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill, Monroe, or Mooresville. That would solve the traffic problem & keep you closer to housing that you can afford, but still have proximity to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
 
206 posts, read 315,073 times
Reputation: 76
Any thoughts on the Shelton area of Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top