Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times

Advertisements

So unless I am counting wrong, you guys have had only 4 days over 90 so far this year. Where was this weather when I lived there??? Still too hot but alot more tolerable this year. Well enjoy the relatively cooler weather. I bet lawns haven't even burned out yet. I predict a major snow storm (foot) for you guys next year by the way..you are due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
So unless I am counting wrong, you guys have had only 4 days over 90 so far this year. Where was this weather when I lived there??? Still too hot but alot more tolerable this year. Well enjoy the relatively cooler weather. I bet lawns haven't even burned out yet. I predict a major snow storm (foot) for you guys next year by the way..you are due.
A foot of snow? You're crazy.

This year has been slightly cooler than normal, but jp03, we tried to tell you... the five years you were here were unusually hot. mini-cycles... that's how the weather goes here.

I remember the early 80s as a glorious time for living in the south. Nice summers, a few snowfalls (<8") every winter). Maybe we'll get back to that again.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

This year has been slightly cooler than normal, but jp03, we tried to tell you... the five years you were here were unusually hot. mini-cycles... that's how the weather goes here.

I remember the early 80s as a glorious time for living in the south. Nice summers, a few snowfalls (<8") every winter). Maybe we'll get back to that again.
Its interesting , I took a look and although March was well below normal (-5) the rest of summer has been about normal (you are right) . Shows how above normal the last 5 years were. Still a bit too hot for me but I definitely was scarred by the summer of 2007. What a hot mess that was

Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 PM

385 posts, read 729,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This has everything to do with the jet stream across the country. The southeast is getting flooded while the west is suffering from a record heat wave.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
This has everything to do with the jet stream across the country. The southeast is getting flooded while the west is suffering from a record heat wave.
Yep...

Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
Very wet and mild Summer so far and loving it. I first moved here in 2006ish which was all drought and heat waves. So a very drastic difference. Last Summer and this Summer has been excellent.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 AM

291 posts, read 869,673 times
Quote:

I believe I remember when we first moved here (1987) that we had at least a foot of snow - kids were out of school for a week....I think we had at least TWO big snowfalls that year...so perhaps it could happen again!
I would love to see a bit more snow this next winter....having the summer temps stay below the 90's every day has been wonderful....and certainly haven't had to spend much time watering anything in the garden! I heard we have had more rain this year than Seattle! Not sure if that is true, but sounds plausible.....

Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 AM

291 posts, read 869,673 times
My bad...probably was winter 1988 now that I think of it....

Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,976,917 times
I remember muggy, overcast summers like this when I was a child. (I had a telescope and I kept wanting to go use it to view the summer sky and was continuously stymied.) We've just become de-acclimated to what "sub tropical" weather is like from the last several years of droughts.

Look at a globe and you'll see that the southeast US is a bit unusual. Most places at this latitude (North Africa, Arabia, western India, the western US) are deserts.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:21 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Quote:

I've been here since 01 and have seen a foot I snow in Charlotte twice. In fact the one time was well over a foot. It was feb 04. And the airport only reported 11 inches rock hill had 22 inches and I know in huntersville we had about 16 inches or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte