U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 PM

21 posts, read 18,685 times

Advertisements

As you may already know, the old Eastland Mall property has been bought by the city and there are plans to redevelop the site into a full-service film and television production studio.

Personally, I think its a really cool idea and am excited about the potential positive growth impact on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 PM

373 posts, read 671,119 times
I think it is a great idea.

My questions would be :
- Is there a demand for such a movie studio in this region?
- If not, is there a realistic business sense and judgment that a demand can be created?
- At the end of the day, is this really a viable idea that is long lasting and makes money for those investing in the property?

I hope this all works out great for everyone.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 PM

601 posts, read 792,289 times
I like the concept, and I want that entire parcel to be redeveloped, but I'm still very skeptical of this project.

The biggest issue is the asking price of $296 million from the city, with $38 million needed to be spent on the first phase. Also, the strong possibility of the film tax incentives expiring.

Honestly, I was always a fan of redeveloping the site into a town center, with mix-use facilities, and creating a street grid. Making it the true core of the eastside, and maybe even embracing the multicultural side of east Charlotte. If not that, then turning it into a massive urban park, with some retail on Central, or turning it into an educational campus.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 PM

21 posts, read 18,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
I think it is a great idea.

My questions would be :
- Is there a demand for such a movie studio in this region?
- If not, is there a realistic business sense and judgment that a demand can be created?
- At the end of the day, is this really a viable idea that is long lasting and makes money for those investing in the property?

I hope this all works out great for everyone.
Considering NC has been home to a lot of film shoots over the years(Iron Man 3 and The Hunger Games in the past year alone), I imagine bringing a major studio to Charlotte/the State was the right call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
I like the concept, and I want that entire parcel to be redeveloped, but I'm still very skeptical of this project.

The biggest issue is the asking price of $296 million from the city, with $38 million needed to be spent on the first phase. Also, the strong possibility of the film tax incentives expiring.

Honestly, I was always a fan of redeveloping the site into a town center, with mix-use facilities, and creating a street grid. Making it the true core of the eastside, and maybe even embracing the multicultural side of east Charlotte. If not that, then turning it into a massive urban park, with some retail on Central, or turning it into an educational campus.
So appro. $300M? I was wondering what the price tag on the development was going to be.

I was for a mixed use town center as well, but after seeing that the proposed plan calls for some mixed use spaces, the film studio plan grew on me. And although the rendering doesn't show it, the site is also slated to be the home of the western terminus of the CityLYNX streetcar. Once that is complete, I'm sure Central Ave will see plenty of retail/office/residential space popping up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte