Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times

Advertisements

I rode my bike in shorts this morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I rode my bike in shorts this morning!
I've got the windows open in the house right now, at 10pm, in December! Woot! Ice in two days though! haha #northcarolinawinters

Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Ok let's stick to the facts not something that a group of people dreamed up to push political change on a country. Our weather has been doing that since we been keeping records. Instead of swallowing the propaganda hook line a sinker why don't you do some research. Btw we broke a record in Charlotte today. Guess when the last time it was so warm on this date? 1912 guess that climate change started way back when
The fact is the climate is changing and the earth's temperature is trending warmer. Now, it's debatable as to what the real cause is (man made, cyclical, etc) but I'd venture to say adding tons of pollutants to the atmosphere can't be a good thing, akin to you eating a pack of bacon a day. Sooner or later there will be ill effects or consequences and think one would err on the side of caution versus casting off the changes as normal. Anyways, scientist say the earth is roughly 4-billion years old with life expectancy of roughly 14 billion years, so even going green, it's a moot point in 10 billion years.

I think NC might be a compromise as related to weather for the OP, all four seasons with usually mild winters and a good run of humidity for 2 or so months during the summer.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:32 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
The fact is the climate is changing and the earth's temperature is trending warmer. Now, it's debatable as to what the real cause is (man made, cyclical, etc) but I'd venture to say adding tons of pollutants to the atmosphere can't be a good thing, akin to you eating a pack of bacon a day. Sooner or later there will be ill effects or consequences and think one would err on the side of caution versus casting off the changes as normal. Anyways, scientist say the earth is roughly 4-billion years old with life expectancy of roughly 14 billion years, so even going green, it's a moot point in 10 billion years.

I think NC might be a compromise as related to weather for the OP, all four seasons with usually mild winters and a good run of humidity for 2 or so months during the summer.
You to r a sheep and believe everything your fed. Do a google search read some competing views from scientists that aren't pushing a political agenga and you will see there has been zero warming in 15 years its stop, but u won't see this reported anywhere. Charlotte has always had wild temp swings in fall winter and spring. It's due to where it is geograghicaly. Yesterday was perfect example. Warm southwest flow of air warmed us to almost 80 degrees. That being said. Charlotte has some of the most benign weather u will find!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 AM

39 posts, read 65,975 times
Thanks again for the responses! People on this forum are so incredibly helpful, its much appreciated!

Old 12-07-2013, 08:17 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Climate changes so slowly and sporadically in the context of one human life, that people will latch themselves on to any data the want to believe. It's the future generations that will discover the truth and reap the consequences of our choices.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
You to r a sheep and believe everything your fed. Do a google search read some competing views from scientists that aren't pushing a political agenga and you will see there has been zero warming in 15 years its stop, but u won't see this reported anywhere. Charlotte has always had wild temp swings in fall winter and spring. It's due to where it is geograghicaly. Yesterday was perfect example. Warm southwest flow of air warmed us to almost 80 degrees. That being said. Charlotte has some of the most benign weather u will find!
Maybe you're the sheep falling prey to those in denial that are pushing their political (corporate) agenda regarding the (non) effects of polluting the air and water. The climate has changed (become warmer) but it doesn't necessarily mean that it was man made. That's common sense and I don't need to read competing views where both sides have agendas to serve their base. Polluting/air quality does impact people with asthmatic conditions and hampers their quality of life. That doesn't mean it's the cause of climate change but it should make one think a bit about it instead of waiting on mother E to take a big dump one day...it's called independent and unbiased thought...try it.

I think the fall pales in comparison to the temp swings during the spring...it's hard to beat the months of Sept - Nov in Charlotte...great weather.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 12-07-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 AM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodgers_3 View Post
Im from TX and my girlfriend is from Colorado. Shes hates how hot it was in dallas and I hate how long winter lasts in denver. I miss southern food, culture, green trees and water.

So that means Im looking for somewhere that isnt as hot as dallas, but still warm. She wants four seasons, but id prefer a short, mild winter. Does this sound like Charlotte or Raliegh? From what ive read I would prefer Charlotte but both sound a lot better than denver to me. Anybody ever lived in both dallas and charlotte/raliegh that can give some insight? Thanks.
I'm not sure why you would choose people's personal perceptions over numbers. However, I'll just throw a couple of numbers your way since a lot of your responses seem to be focused on heat.

Charlotte averages (1981-2010 data) 31 day of 90+ degree weather each year. Dallas has an average of 74.

Charlotte hits 100 degrees an average of 1 time per year....Dallas reached 100 degrees an average of 16 days per year.

It sounds to me like Charlotte could be a good compromise for you and your girlfriend. Good luck with your move!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Wait a minute. More than 90% of the worlds climatologists believe that recent global warming is a man made thing.
Yet you are siding with the other 10%
Now who is the sheep here in this thread?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:20 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Maybe you're the sheep falling prey to those in denial that are pushing their political (corporate) agenda regarding the (non) effects of polluting the air and water. The climate has changed (become warmer) but it doesn't necessarily mean that it was man made. That's common sense and I don't need to read competing views where both sides have agendas to serve their base. Polluting/air quality does impact people with asthmatic conditions and hampers their quality of life. That doesn't mean it's the cause of climate change but it should make one think a bit about it instead of waiting on mother E to take a big dump one day...it's called independent and unbiased thought...try it.

I think the fall pales in comparison to the temp swings during the spring...it's hard to beat the months of Sept - Nov in Charlotte...great weather.
I can look at the numbers and tell it hasn't warmed. When its proven that a volcano can put out more greenhouse gases in one eruption, that would take humans years to produce, then I know that is flawed science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte