Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 AM

36 posts, read 125,268 times

Advertisements

What is going on? Are there to many.. Is the food bad.., to expensive.., bad service.., or do people prefer going to chains ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
My thoughts?

1. Control over locations. How many restaurants have been closed due to no other reason that the whim of a property owner. I think restaurants need to make sure that they own their property, and are not leasing it.

2. Bad Management / Turnover. How many times has a good restaurant failed simple because staffing levels couldn't be kept, or management was just inadequate.

3. Consistency. My pet peeve. This is where the chains do better, and why they continue to get the repeat business. There are usually certain core menu offerings that most people patronize a particular restaurant for. While I'm all for a restaurant being creative, it doesn't make sense to me to do so at the expense of the core menu. I can't recall how many times we've gone to a restaurant, only to be presented with a limited menu of items that are not what most of the party want to eat. I think restuarants do the seafood/fish-only menus WAY too much. No one I know likes fish that much.

4. Attention to detail. My parents pet peeve with restaurants. Having cream for your coffee and butter for your rolls. Not those hard-to-open creamers and wrapped pats of butter. Drinks large enough to not need constant refills.

5. Price and portions. I'd gladly give up huge portions that no average person can eat if there was a resulting drop in the price paid.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Default Do you mind revealing . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevpol View Post
What is going on? Are there to many.. Is the food bad.., to expensive.., bad service.., or do people prefer going to chains ??
what restaurant in particular you are referring to? Was this a place you frequented a lot?

I was surprised to see a nice Greek restaurant near my neighborhood close recently . . . but everyone I have asked about it says - location wasn't right - difficult ingress and egress b/c of traffic. I was very disappointed.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevpol View Post
I think it could be all the above. If you provide top notch service and food the location really wont matter.
I know of restaurants that are out in the sticks but they are always packed due to their generous portions, great service, good food and prices.
I also think it could be is the restaurant offering something different or wanted that the other restaurants do not provide.
If you open a steak house restaurant in a location where there is a Outback, Chili's, Long Horn, Max & Ermas, Kabutos are already located
then you are destin for failure unless you provide something those restaurants cannot.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 PM

674 posts, read 804,739 times
Wow! Restaurants in Charlotte close? ALERT THE MEDIA

Restaurants ANYWHERE are difficult to maintain because it is a volatile business in which the margin of profit is small (the average restaurant sees the majority of pure profit come from alcoholic beverage sales). This is not a Charlotte-specific issue at all.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
There is a location near me(not NC), that had it's fair share of restaurants open and close in a short time period. In about ten years, no less then eight closed up at this one spot. A couple of them were not so good, but at least four or five were great places, great food and service. Although the location is on a heavily traveled road, I still just think it's just a bad spot. It's a commerical area, but mainly auto repair shops.

Maybe it's just bad luck location

Old 11-25-2007, 01:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
There is almost an astounding 90 percent failure rate with privately owned restaurants nationwide. First, in most cases, nobody thinks that their food is as that particular individual does. Second, people are more apt to patronize a place that has an established reputation for good quality food and service, therefore it takes a new restaurant years to obtain that level. It is great if someone can sustain and survive athe initial loss for the first couple/few years. If there is a bit of an inconvenience in parking or not enough spaces, forget it. People want it easy. It is like the service station on the wrong side of the road. Food is also trendy. One year vegetarian or Indian food may be the fad, but the next year someone finds the true wonders of the Brazilian meat feast. It has everything to do with location, location, and luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte