U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 18,632 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Los Angeles for 3 years and I'm originally from the Mid-West. Los Angeles has become too expensive and showy for my tastes and I am interested in moving closer to my family. I love LA for the arts, entertainment and weather but I need a change. I've heard a lot of good things about NC, Charlotte in particular, but it sounds more and more like Charlotte is more family focused. I'm young and single and interested in meeting new people and building my career. Does Charlotte have what I'm looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,510,811 times
Thousands of college students and graduates call Charlotte home. Charlotte is not LA but as a 20- something I find a lot to do here. As my dad always says.."If you bored...do something". There are several clubs/groups full full of young adults. One example: Charlotte Outdoor Adventures I honestly think you have to be a pretty boring person to be bored here.

This recent thread has some info about bars/nightclubs. Any fun places for a college-aged student to go?

Arts Organizations (Museums, Dance, Art, Theatre)
Arts and Science Council
Charlotte Cultural Guide

Here is a post I made in another thread.

LovesBoating wrote:
Quote:
One thing we will say however, if we were 20-30 years younger, we sure wouldn't choose either Denver, CO or Charlotte, NC to live in (or near).......just not enough "happening" things. Even with the problems I stated above about SoCalif, we would either live there or in Vegas. But, we are 58 and 59, so we just don't need/want that exciting "happening" stuff that much anymore.
We don't miss OC or SoCalif at all, but then that may because of our ages.
Good luck with your move.
I'm sorry to single out LovesBoating but in my experience this is not true. I've seen this stated a few times, mostly by people who didn't live in Charlotte when they were younger and/or single. I think it's just the case of knowing what's going on based on one's interests. For example I am single with no children. I couldn't tell you five events/happenings focused on families with young children. That dosen't mean they don't exist. There are a lot of things happening in and around Charlotte. There are concerts (large and small venues), bars/clubs, museums, sporting events, arts (dance, theater, music) events. There are many activity groups/events just for the 20 - 30 something crowd.

One example is Club Blume

Quote:
A new social club for young adults in their 20s and 30s sponsored by the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center through a generous grant from American Express. No dues! No officers! Just fun! CLUB BLUME members enjoy special offers like pre-show mixers, reserved seating with other young adults and other great perks.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 18,632 times
Thanks for the reply! Are there particular neighborhoods that might keep me closer to the younger/social crowd?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,842,221 times
NoDa (North Davidson) and SouthEnd (just south of Uptown). Plaza Midwood (east of Uptown) and Dilworth (southeast of Uptown) are cool as well.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 AM

382 posts, read 1,721,735 times
Yes! But you should try to live Uptown. You'll find the most activies and nightlife for your age uptown.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 AM

16 posts, read 60,799 times
Absolutely! Charlotte is improving by leaps and bounds in this area. Plenty of bars, cafes, clubs, restaurants, etc. Charlotte really has everything you may need...

Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,576,738 times
Nothing much compares to LA or NY, but Charlotte is a growing metro area. It has it's suburbs and it's roots in Southern Charm, which can some people can take the wrong way. It has a growing arts scene, but again, not like some cities that have more roots in it. It really depends on what you want to do. If you like outdoors, I like Charlotte is a great place to live, you have so much opporunity. There is a downtown/uptown scene, bars, movies, museums, etc. I would say its lacking in clubs or an area to "club" in, if thats your thing. (Not saying there arent any, but comparing it...) If I were to pick a place (again depends on funds, but all may look cheap compared to LA), Uptown is nice if you want a highrise condo/apt. NoDa gets you more art scene. University area (west side of 85) has a lot of budding profressionals with some retail suburbia. Southside is the better schools/family. Huntersville gets you suburbia, but with Boating. Lots of choices, but coming in with the right expectations (or none) helps.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 PM

345 posts, read 696,524 times
I honestly think you have to be a pretty boring person to be bored here.

There are a lot of things happening in and around Charlotte. There are concerts (large and small venues), bars/clubs, museums, sporting events, arts (dance, theater, music) events. There are many activity groups/events just for the 20 - 30 something crowd.

One example is Club Blume[/quote]

The more I read this website the more I realize how boring I am because none of those things above interest me (except museums) oh yeah and I like to walk a few hours on nature trails. Yep, I'm a boring person.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,510,811 times
But are you bored? Probably not. It's not about doing a specific activity. If you doing something you enjoy, you'll be content. That true anywhere you live.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:52 PM

18 posts, read 41,328 times
I've only lived here about a month now, but I think uptown is the place to live. It's a bit more expensive than the surrounding areas, but I just consider it the price of parking. If I didn't live uptown I would have to pay and worry about parking and then I would have to drive back to where ever. It's very nice to be able to walk home at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or