U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,746 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been cruising the forum for information for a while now and figured I'd make a post of my own to see what new information I can come up with.

I'm looking to relocate to Charlotte area next summer. Will be flying out the week before Christmas to look at homes/neighborhoods trying to find the right spot. I was hoping some of you might provide some additional input-

Looking for spend anywhere from 350-500k - prefer 1/2 acre minimum lots that are wooded and somewhat private (mainly...no one behind me). 3200sq ft+. I'd like to either be in a neighborhood attached to the lake, or within 10min of a lake (Norman or Wylie is fine). Ideally under 40min to airport, and certainly near lots of dining/shopping options (10min from home at most). At the moment from a real estate standpoint I'm going to look at places is Huntersville, Denver, Fort Mill, and Moorseville I believe. The chances of me building are looking pretty high. I'm hoping to find a location near younger couples/families so that we can kick off a good social life after moving to NC.

Any thoughts on neighborhoods or locations in specific? Would really appreciate the feedback!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 PM

125 posts, read 202,217 times
We live on Lake Wylie in in river pointe (on lake wylie). To be honest on the lake is most likely out of the question, 3200 sq ft on the lake will be north of a million dollars. I'm going to give my biased opinion and say Lake Wylie is where you should live, it is a booming area with shops and restaurants, new schools being built, 15 min away from airport, there is an outlet mall being built ten minutes away from us, and if you live in NC you're right on the border to get get cheap gas in SC (i do it every week). Here are a few neighborhoods you should really check out: Berewick, The Palisades (for sure), The Sanctuary, and Royal Oaks. I was going through zillow the other day at the office and there is a foreclosed house in Royal Oaks for like 380k; the house is appraised at like 550k and has 4 thousand square feet and the houses are very spread out, you would probably have a couple acres of land. Something to think about. If you want a good kick off to your social life check out the palisades, it is a huge neighborhood filled with young adults and it is a one minute drive to the lake. Lake Norman is a great lake but its more expensive, more congested and the traffic is kind of sucks but that's just my opinion. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,443,026 times
You won't find waterfront and 3200 square feet with that budget, as said previously. Are you looking for more water activities (boating, fishing, etc) or just to be near the water? Wylie is better for getting on the water at a bargain by comparison. Norman is hands down better for the social scene on the water and off.

While Wylie is growing, the lake gets more congested every year. Norman does as well, but there is a LOT more lake to use and you can still find some out of the way places to go by boat.

No matter where you go based on your list, you will be within 40 minutes of the airport. 10 minutes to the water is where it can get a bit more tricky. Your best bet is to get in touch with a local real estate agent and start telling him/her what you want and if it can be had.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passnu View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been cruising the forum for information for a while now and figured I'd make a post of my own to see what new information I can come up with.

I'm looking to relocate to Charlotte area next summer. Will be flying out the week before Christmas to look at homes/neighborhoods trying to find the right spot. I was hoping some of you might provide some additional input-

Looking for spend anywhere from 350-500k - prefer 1/2 acre minimum lots that are wooded and somewhat private (mainly...no one behind me). 3200sq ft+. I'd like to either be in a neighborhood attached to the lake, or within 10min of a lake (Norman or Wylie is fine). Ideally under 40min to airport, and certainly near lots of dining/shopping options (10min from home at most). At the moment from a real estate standpoint I'm going to look at places is Huntersville, Denver, Fort Mill, and Moorseville I believe. The chances of me building are looking pretty high. I'm hoping to find a location near younger couples/families so that we can kick off a good social life after moving to NC.

Any thoughts on neighborhoods or locations in specific? Would really appreciate the feedback!

Thanks everyone!
You might get larger lots or some acreage in Denver. You can probably get the house & acreage on Moss Lake, but I doubt that it's a hot spot for social affairs & you have to travel for most shopping

Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 AM

10,600 posts, read 4,423,006 times
Great options on High Rock lake. Purchase prices are good for homes and lots. As I-85 gets done the commute time is dropping. When the section between Exit 49 and 52 are complete the time to get to charlotte will be about 50 min. Currently about 60min during Rush hours from North Charlotte. Non-rush hour can get to Westinghouse in 70 min. expect that to drop to about 60 min when done.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM

156 posts, read 357,480 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!
Sent you a DM.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,746 times
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I'll certainly check out the Lake Wylie area.

'jakekansas123' - Thanks for the detailed response. I will certainly check out those neighborhoods. It seems like you nailed what I was looking for in the information you included. Honestly, at this point, it's very likely we may end up building. I've pulled some designs/floor plans from eplans.com that I like and may look into have a custom builder create what I'm looking for after purchasing a lot.

Denver does seem to have quite a few options for newer homes (which is what we're looking at).

'spankys bbq' had asked about what I'm looking for out of the water requirement. I'm a huge boat guy, and while I'll sell mine before I move, it won't be long before I pick one up again. I love to go out, anchor in a cove drink, listen to music. It's really just about getting out on the water. Most of my friends like to wake surf or wake board…but I don't know that I'm going to buy a wake board boat next go around. I may just make it more of just a 'get the family out' type thing for sun and swimming.

High Rock Lake is just too far out of the way for me. My Uncle actually bought a house on that Lake with his own boat ramp…fun weekend place, but, again, too out of the way for my lifestyle.

'ugaillini' - thanks for the note. Response sent back.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 AM

86 posts, read 187,403 times
Please keep us posted on what you find out, or if you could, send me a DM. My family and I are looking for many of the same things you are looking for-lake lifestyle, active social life with other families, 40 mins to airport. Move next summer. Also need good public schools and our budget isn't quite as high- up to $425K. Not interested in Denver as I have a friend that lives there and it feels a little too far out there for me. Did not get a chance to visit the other side of Lake Norman or Lake Wylie but we are planning on going down in January. Enjoy your visit! Thanks!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slctnc View Post
Please keep us posted on what you find out, or if you could, send me a DM. My family and I are looking for many of the same things you are looking for-lake lifestyle, active social life with other families, 40 mins to airport. Move next summer. Also need good public schools and our budget isn't quite as high- up to $425K. Not interested in Denver as I have a friend that lives there and it feels a little too far out there for me. Did not get a chance to visit the other side of Lake Norman or Lake Wylie but we are planning on going down in January. Enjoy your visit! Thanks!
My vote is for Mooresville. You can get a decent house for your price range, although not on the lake. Low taxes and good schools. Lots of shopping and not far from Huntersville and Cornelius. 40 Mins to airport depending on time of day and traffic. Could be longer at times, but to me, that's the price you pay to be near conveniences.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,921,915 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I'll certainly check out the Lake Wylie area.

'jakekansas123' - Thanks for the detailed response. I will certainly check out those neighborhoods. It seems like you nailed what I was looking for in the information you included. Honestly, at this point, it's very likely we may end up building. I've pulled some designs/floor plans from eplans.com that I like and may look into have a custom builder create what I'm looking for after purchasing a lot.

Denver does seem to have quite a few options for newer homes (which is what we're looking at).

'spankys bbq' had asked about what I'm looking for out of the water requirement. I'm a huge boat guy, and while I'll sell mine before I move, it won't be long before I pick one up again. I love to go out, anchor in a cove drink, listen to music. It's really just about getting out on the water. Most of my friends like to wake surf or wake board…but I don't know that I'm going to buy a wake board boat next go around. I may just make it more of just a 'get the family out' type thing for sun and swimming.

High Rock Lake is just too far out of the way for me. My Uncle actually bought a house on that Lake with his own boat ramp…fun weekend place, but, again, too out of the way for my lifestyle.

'ugaillini' - thanks for the note. Response sent back.

3200 sq ft, ten minutes from the lake (either one) is certainly doable, here's one with almost double the acreage - MLS 2184613 on Lake Wylie, and another MLS 2184027 on Lake Norman.

It sounds like you're leaning towards building. Perhaps the first discussion should be to build or not to build (or new construction) and probably go from there. You'll find more homes in this price range and acreage in the Lake Norman area than Lake Wylie.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or