Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM

352 posts, read 518,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharNative View Post
I no longer live in Charlotte but I visit frequently. I will never ride light rail because it is yet one more example of the city council pulling a Big Brother on the voters.
What a dumb statement....i think you have been given some bad information.

It drives me insane when people make comments like that considering they have no freaking clue what they are talking about. I'm a little confused about what "Big Brother" has to do with a train.

The residents voted yes on this topic twice, not to mention the no votes in the last election for this was much less than the signatures that were collected to send it to a vote.

Feel free to drive downtown and pay anywhere from $3 to $30 to park your car when you can park for free at one of the stations and ride into up town for less than 2 bucks.

I'll ride the train and save some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 PM

42 posts, read 168,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
I'll ride the train and save some money.
You'll ride the train on someone else's dime.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM

352 posts, read 518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharNative View Post
You'll ride the train on someone else's dime.
ok....so when your driving your car on a road, are you not driving on someone else's dime? The taxpayers paid to have those roads built, just like they did the train.

Please explain me to me what "Big Brother" has to do with a train.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I would like to know where all the repeal proponents and ant-transit people are now that ridership is averaging 12k per day, they have to install more ticket machines, run more trains during the day, run them more frequently, and run them later into the night/morning on the weekends? I haven't heard much from the 3 of them including Lizard King.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Light rail was put infront of the voters of Mecklenburg County residents only, and it passed by 70%. Wasn't even close. So it looks like more people wanted it than not. Most people who would not ride light rail live in the burbs and work in the burbs. If you live or work Uptown, it is GREAT! It is a shame that most people in the burbs never go Uptown for anything. Uptown is booming. Just ride around and look at all the construction inside the I-277 loop.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
I would LOVE for them to get the train out towards Gaston. I have an almost hour commute to South Park and would gladly park and ride to get out of the horrible traffic on 85! It doesn't matter if you are coming or going, it sucks. People who can use it should. Our environment can't take all the cars much longer!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:47 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Dh rides it everyday.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:36 PM

63 posts, read 180,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Dh rides it everyday.
Is this his substitute for riding the Gold Line in Pasadena? I rode that into LA many months ago, and it is a kick gliding through South Pas and Glassell Park and Chinatown on the way to Union Station.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:23 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Hopefully someday there will be a light rail parralleling 74 (independence)....

from Charlotte to Monroe....

Now THAT would be awesome!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Hopefully someday there will be a light rail parralleling 74 (independence)....

from Charlotte to Monroe....

Now THAT would be awesome!
That would be nice. Even a commuter rail like the one planned for the north corridor would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte