Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 PM

179 posts, read 582,791 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We've just returned from our trip to Charlotte for the cup race, and to look around some for an area where we hope to retire. This trip kind of centered on Harrisburg, and we did in fact really like the area. Some beautiful new homes (which all seem to be on a 1/2 acre tops), and alot of existing, but just as nice homes on larger properties. Is Harrisburg in fact an area where if we couldn't find what we wanted as far as an existing home, an area where we might find a nice 2-3 acres for building (we prefer a single level home) ? Am I way off base with what I'm looking for in this area ? Any suggestions would be appreciated, heck I already have myself so confused, what's another few suggestions ? This is a move (from Connecticut, retirement) that we may be making as soon as next year, so we'd like to get started as soon as we find what we are looking for.

Thanks for any help, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 04:31 AM

46 posts, read 188,082 times
Hi Bill. We are moving to the Charlotte area from CT as well. One of our major considerations included my husbands parents who are both in their mid 80's. We chose to live in Fairview (Union County) so that we could have some acrage and be close to major hospitals (Monroe and Matthews). Don't know if you have thought about that evential need for yourself, but you might want to keep it in mind.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:21 PM

37 posts, read 185,833 times
Bill,
Do what I do, go to www.realtor.com (broken link) and look at every town in NC that you might have interest in. Then Google every town for a profile and it will tell you a lot(not everything) about that town. I seems that the closer to the cities the higher the prices and the smaller the lots. Probably just like the NE.
You will be amazed how much time you can spend (waste) on your computer.

Good luck and go Mark Martin.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 PM

igione and Roger,
Thank you both for your replies, I can use all the help I can get. igione, when we were down in May we actually did speak to some people who told us that Caburrus (probably spelled wrong) county was an excellent location because of all the existing and lots of new medical facilities, it is something that I have to strongly consider. I have heard alot about Union county, so I guess I'll have to check out the towns there. Roger, I've been using that exact site, it is excellent. I just wish they would mention the aprroximate taxes, as they seem to vary from county to city. Like you, I've spent hours upon hours looking there, We did look at some places last week when we were down, but we really need to get a better idea of where we can find what we're looking for. Thanks again to the both of you. BTW, igione, where are you in Ct, we are in Norwalk and the taxes are getting to the point where it's impossible to retire here.

Bill

Roger, going to be a nice tight chase if it keeps up like the beginning !!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 PM

37 posts, read 185,833 times
Bill, Try this site for property valuations, in some areas it is spot on. http://www.zillow.com/

I hear you about real estate taxes up North I am in NJ, highest taxes in the land. NC taxes about 20% of NJ taxes. Can't wait to move.

RD

Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM

Roger, thanks again, another site to spend hours on. Oh well I could be looking at worse sites, haha.

Bill

Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 AM

32 posts, read 87,832 times
Default Nc

Hi there, I used to live in Charlotte, NC and relocated to NJ b/c my wife got promoted but we are on our way back pretty soon. I am a Mortgage Consultant for Wachovia in NJ but coincidentally Wachoiva is headquarted in Charlotte.

The greater Charlotte area and its vicinity is a great place to live. Harrisburg is not too far north from Charlotte and would be a good place to retire. Charlotte is a great town, you mentioned the races, plus the fact that is only 3 hrs driving to Wilmington (in the NC coast, another great place to relax), and less than 2 hrs from NYC, Miami, etc (Charlotte is home for US Airways).

I am very familiar with the market in Charlotte, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the city, its amenities, and of course real estate advice.

My cell is 908-938-2930, my name is George. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 PM

George,
Thanks for your information. It really is a boost when someone like yourself says they are going back there to live. This, as you might imagine, is a huge decision for us, and something we don't want to ***** up. When I read some of the posts here that say they are sorry they ever moved down there, it naturally makes me think deeper into what we are doing. Plus the fact that I'm not all that familiar with the area, and would hate to find a nice place now, than 3 years down the road have something major change or develop in the area that was so nice when we moved in. There really is a tremendous amount of activity in the area now. Anyway, I will keep your message for any questions I might have, and again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Bill

Old 10-22-2006, 04:37 AM

46 posts, read 188,082 times
HI billjr ~ I live in Simsbury and can really understand the tax thing! We moved here when my husbands job as relocated (the whole bank eats another bank thing) and came to Simsbury for the schools. But now that the kids are grown and gone (25 and 22) we can move without that concern. However, now we have my in-laws and so medical is our worry. We think that moving to Fairview (Union County) we can access the hospitals in Matthews with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte